RC Food Quality

There's also talk of slow service, how long does service in the MDR usually take? Whole dinner service? (We're first time RCI cruisers.)

With the new menus and a party of two in My Time, 60 minutes has been the norm for us.

When we first began cruising in 2010 the food on Carnival was really pretty good. Over the years it seems the quality has gone down a bit. Currently, I think the food in the buffet and main dining room is about the same on RCI and Carnival. Guy's Burgers are better than RCI hamburgers however, I prefer RCI's fries.

There's also talk of slow service, how long does service in the MDR usually take? Whole dinner service? (We're first time RCI cruisers.)

Dinner in the MDR is usually around 1-1/2 hours. This is for a table of perhaps 6-10 people who are enjoying a full dinner, e.g appetizer, soup, salad, entrée, dessert, coffee. The staff will serve each course and try to keep it so that everyone gets their entrée at the same time even if you are not having one of the courses.

It's meant to be a leisurely dinner with ample time for conversation.

If you want something quicker you can go to the buffet (Windjammer). You can also still eat in the MDR, but it's better to request a 2-person table and let the waiters know you want a speedy meal.

You will have requested traditional dining or My Time Dining when making your cruise booking. Traditional dining means the two standard dining times; early or late with the same table each evening. My Time you can just show up, or make a specific time reservation each evening.

MDR dinner consistently takes 90-120 minutes on any ship. It's for people who enjoy lingering over dinner on vacation. If you need to be out in an hour or less, visit the Windjammer.

With the new menus and a party of two in My Time, 60 minutes has been the norm for us.

Thanks for the insight. It will help me plan for evening entertainment.

Dinner in the MDR is usually around 1-1/2 hours. This is for a table of perhaps 6-10 people who are enjoying a full dinner, e.g appetizer, soup, salad, entrée, dessert, coffee. The staff will serve each course and try to keep it so that everyone gets their entrée at the same time even if you are not having one of the courses.

It's meant to be a leisurely dinner with ample time for conversation.

If you want something quicker you can go to the buffet (Windjammer). You can also still eat in the MDR, but it's better to request a 2-person table and let the waiters know you want a speedy meal.

You will have requested traditional dining or My Time Dining when making your cruise booking. Traditional dining means the two standard dining times; early or late with the same table each evening. My Time you can just show up, or make a specific time reservation each evening.

Thanks for the insight. We'll be doing My Time and have three in our party. I'm trying to gather everyone's experience with service time, this way I can better plan for evening entertainment.

Thanks for the insight. It will help me plan for evening entertainment.

Also, it's a good idea to let your waiter know about any time contraints. They will do their best.

Also, it's a good idea to let your waiter know about any time contraints. They will do their best.

That's what I've heard. I'm allowing 1 hour and 45 mins. for dinner, so I'm hoping we'll be okay. Thanks!

I agree and experienced the same on our Adventure of the Seas 4/28/18 Cruise, we had a table of two (#176 Deck 3), My Time Dinning.

60 Minutes was perfect, we both felt we weren't being rushed.

For the authentic old-time "sailing" experience, guests shall also be served salt tack and ship's biscuit -- weevils will be an extra upcharge (for the protein). For dessert, if you've been good, roly-poly and spotted dick* will be served.

--

* both of these are puddings. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

Love it! And you only get to enjoy the salt tack and ship's biscuits, once you stand @ Inspection Formation outside the MDR, to ensure no one is wearing shorts, T-Shirts, Sandals, and for those in the Suites, Bathrobes!

Question: Does RC serve lobster on formal nights?

RC typically serves lobster once per cruise, on those cruises based out of the US that are 5-days or longer. On 7-day cruises, this usually happens on the second formal night.