Not just breaking even with Cheers......

susan1957

We have done Cheers many times and not really "gotten our money's worth". We drink mostly beer, and have decided that if one of our stops is Half moon Cay, we will never purchase it. Cheers doesn't work on the private island, and this would be our main drinking day. We don't drink a lot of coffees or soda either. Every time I come home and add up our drinks, it never equals what we paid for Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I'm so sorry...this made me chuckle...the whole idea of "CHEERS" IS so that you don't have to keep track or "add up" how much you drank and you do it ...after EVERY CRUISE....and when you realized (after every cruise) that it "never equals what you paid for cheers"....you still kept buying cheers....LOL

This is what sold us on Cheers, bottled water, Powerade and milkshakes for the kids, I know it's sharing but it's not alcohol

I am so conflicted on ordering Cheers! I already ordered BB for the kids but am re-thinking that based on info from this board. They would probably rather have the coffees and specialty drinks over iced-down bar sodas. How accessible are the places to purchase bottled drinks?

I am so conflicted on ordering Cheers! I already ordered BB for the kids but am re-thinking that based on info from this board. They would probably rather have the coffees and specialty drinks over iced-down bar sodas. How accessible are the places to purchase bottled drinks?
I am inferring from your post that you're contemplating cancelling the bottomless bubbles that you have ordered for your kids and instead you're thinking of sharing coffees and virgin specialty drinks with them that you'll get from the Cheers package that you and your significant other will be purchasing.

You do know that it is against the rules of the program to share and if caught, you could possibly have the program cut off with no refund. The only bottled drinks are vitamin water, bottled water, powerade and Honest Tea iced tea. They are available at the coffee shop on the Horizon and some bars will stock certain items, but not all. Rockstar energy drinks and sodas come in cans and the cold coffee drinks and milkshakes come in plastic cups.

For the record, I can, and do drink quite a bit when having fun. On all of my pre-Cheers cruises, I would be very cost conscious for EACH drink. I would stare at a drink menu and think "Is this drink going to be good, would I like it enough to justify the cost? Do I really want it?" I would also get the less expensive wine with dinner, if I got any. This over-analyzing took a lot of fun away.

Last cruise, we tried out Cheers and because the money was already spent, I didn't second guess anything, and if I didn't like a drink, no biggy, just get another. So of course I drank more than otherwise but I drank what I wanted and got my money's worth (in my opinion). In a way, it is kind of comparing apples to oranges, but it is a psychological barrier for me at least. Not for everybody, but it is good for me :)

I love your explanation, thank you! I overanalyze decisions daily at my job, and that's one of the last things I want to do on vacation.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-2&name=jsvarp&date=12-8-2018&text=&ship=Carnival%20Breeze

This is what sold us on Cheers, bottled water, Powerade and milkshakes for the kids, I know it's sharing but it's not alcohol

Thanks for the info. I didn't know sharing was OK when it didn't have alcohol. All these Cheers threads and this is the first time someone actually posted something that helped me.

Assuming you have two adults, Cheers will be $840 for the week. Assuming two kids, their bottomless bubbles will be $80 for the week. That's $920 in beverages for the family for the week.

You know better than any of us would if you will get your money's worth here. For those who like a drink at breakfast, specialty coffee, wine at dinner, expensive cocktails at night, it might be a good idea. If one or more of the adults aren't heavy drinkers, I would potentially reconsider.

There are other alternatives to consider. You may bring on canned sodas and bottled wine. How much would you spend a la carte? Would you be better off purchasing a bottle?

For the record, I can, and do drink quite a bit when having fun. On all of my pre-Cheers cruises, I would be very cost conscious for EACH drink. I would stare at a drink menu and think "Is this drink going to be good, would I like it enough to justify the cost? Do I really want it?" I would also get the less expensive wine with dinner, if I got any. This over-analyzing took a lot of fun away.

Last cruise, we tried out Cheers and because the money was already spent, I didn't second guess anything, and if I didn't like a drink, no biggy, just get another. So of course I drank more than otherwise but I drank what I wanted and got my money's worth (in my opinion). In a way, it is kind of comparing apples to oranges, but it is a psychological barrier for me at least. Not for everybody, but it is good for me :)

I am the same way. Before Cheers I would question every drink I ordered and really limited what I bought even though I wanted more.I didn't want to spend the money. I now get Cheers and love trying all the different drinks. If I don't like them,I get something else.

Laura

Depending on what those drinks are, as little as four drinks a day can make cheers worth it. Just two bloody marys in the morning (at $12.50) and two alchemy drinks at night ($10.95) pays for cheers.

This. A latte in the morning, and maybe a bloody mary or fruity drink with breakfast, followed by several top shelf drinks during the day and/or a few good IPAs, then two glasses of nice red wine at dinner and a port and/or latte with dessert. It doesnt take much to reach $50 that way. Do I need to drink like this. No. Do I all the time at home, no. But I'm on vacation and sure, Cheers "encourages" me to drink like this since I know I will easily reach that limit. Many people will essentially label you an alcoholic if you have more than 2-3 drinks in a day. I'm glad they can have their own opinion. This is America.

I just want to be able to drink whatever and whenever without worrying about how much I'm raking up. It also gives me the chance to try out drinks I wouldn't normally. If I'm paying $10 for a drink, I'm going to drink it. When I have the cheers program I don't feel guilty leaving it behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I use the drink program no matter which cruise line I am with. If I break even fine, if I don't fine. I know how much my bill is at the end of the day period. No more sticker shock at the end of the cruise is worth every penny of it.

I just want to be able to drink whatever and whenever without worrying about how much I'm raking up. It also gives me the chance to try out drinks I wouldn't normally. If I'm paying $10 for a drink, I'm going to drink it. When I have the cheers program I don't feel guilty leaving it behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So much this. I don't even care if I break even, the peace of mind of not having to worry about what I'm spending is worth it to me. I can try a drink and if I don't like it I don't feel bad about wasting the money, just move on to another drink.

Exactly. It would be one thing if I knew I would never spend more than 3/4 of what Cheers affords me, but if I lose $100 and had a good time, well, people gamble or golf away more more than that in one day much less an 8 day cruise!

Depending on what those drinks are, as little as four drinks a day can make cheers worth it. Just two bloody marys in the morning (at $12.50) and two alchemy drinks at night ($10.95) pays for cheers.

My gf always starts her days off drinking bloody Mary's in the morning and I just can't start my day off with booze! She loves it but I just don't understand how she can wake up and drink, so I just order a shot of grey goose and toss it in her BM lol

I'm so sorry...this made me chuckle...the whole idea of "CHEERS" IS so that you don't have to keep track or "add up" how much you drank and you do it ...after EVERY CRUISE....and when you realized (after every cruise) that it "never equals what you paid for cheers"....you still kept buying cheers....LOL

This is exactly why Carnival offers Cheers. This is why any company offers any type of "unlimited" option, package, subscription, etc. My company does it too, and I see first hand how it works. People are scared to death and stress out about individual charges. It's like that internet meme where the product is $10 + $2.59 in shipping. Not a good deal. Then there's an option for $12.59 + free shipping. Better deal because you weren't "charged extra".

Most package offers are utilized very front heavy, and purchased on the notion of what the immediate gain in. Then begins the profit. In this case, most people will break down Cheers by: $60 for a day of unlimited drinks = easy to do. When it's all said and done, the majority of couples will not hit a "break even" point on a full vacation. Then they add additional "value props" like a $50 drink limit, of drinks that don't exist, and included bottled water, the cheapest drink on the planet.

It is all marketing. I will probably get attacked now because some see it as a personal attack on their vacation. We have seen many examples of people being marketed into purchasing above and beyond on what they would already spend on expensive alcohol, let alone the extra drinks they forced down to feel better about their purchase.

The "Should I or shouldn't I get the Cheers program" threads are always enjoyable! Love it! Look, we each know our drinking tendencies better than any one else does. So the only info you really need to see if it makes sense for you (and your cabin mate) is a list of typical drink prices, and the alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks that are included in the package. Those can be found on Carnival's website. If you struggle with resisting "free" and you normally don't drink much, then Cheers! could be a problem (but if you can't say no to "free" then the Grand Buffet could be an issue too). Planning for the next cruise is a big part of the fun! Even before you book your cruise, the fun actually begins. By asking a question here, I know you are dreaming of the day you walk across the gangway onto the ship. That is awesome!

We brought Cheers for our upcoming cruise. Cheers package is a little under $60 per day. Two drinks at the Alchemy Bar before dinner is $25.18 with the 15% gratuities included. For us it doesn't matter if we break even or come out ahead. We know our cost before stepping on the ship. No surprises. It just allows us to request the top liquor for each drink and to try different drinks that otherwise we never would. Still have the 12 oz cans of sodas, water and beer in cans we can take off the ship for excursions. Not to mention the 10% percent discount by using AARP cards.

Edited by cruisin 07

By asking a question here, I know you are dreaming of the day you walk across the gangway onto the ship. That is awesome!

I LOVE this! My planning and research for any trip-big or small- is often the butt of family/friend jokes....and then they hVe to admit that my knowledge helped everyone have a great time...and I have been enjoying myself for week, months (or years) before the actual trip!

I think people forget that with the cheers program you are allowed to have other things besides your alcohol beverage. You don't have to just get alcohol. Can't you get specialty coffees as well?

It's been mentioned a few times in this thread so not really forgotten.

This is all about personal responsibility. I don't think the limit is placed for patrons to have a "goal". More than likely, it's a limit that Carnival has implemented as the point where it is no longer profitable for them.

If on a vacation on land (or on a weekend) I would drink 6-8 drinks per day. At about $12/drink on-board that more than covers the Cheers price.

I have NEVER felt obligated to drink 15 drinks. Responsibility shouldn't go "out the window" when you board a ship, etc.

Edited by JennyB1977