Ring of Kerry-TA cruisetour and luggage question

peanutter

Hi all. We are doing the above cruisetour on the Royal this September. My question involves the short flight from Cork to Heathrow and what happens to our luggage. I understand from the website that we are allowed 44 lb. each (assuming that is for the checked bag only and we can have a small backpack carry-on, but not sure about that?)

Princess FAQ addresses luggage for cruisetours in two separate sections. First, it gives general info about luggage not needed during the tour:

• Guests who cruise after their land tour should pack a separate bag for items they will not need on land.
  • This bag is perfect for the items you may need on your cruise but will not need on your land tour, such as formal wear, dress shoes, or dinner jackets. On the land portion of your cruisetour, the dress code is always casual so there is no need for any formal wear.
  • All luggage is delivered to the first destination on your land itinerary. Upon departure from that city, the bags will be securely stored and returned to your hotel room the final night of the tour.

Then it addresses the Ring of Kerry cruisetour specifically, stating we can have 44 lb. each and then:

"As an alternative, excess luggage may be transported separately by land and sea from Ireland to Southampton by the tour operator. If you choose this complimentary option, your excess luggage will be collected on your final morning in Killarney and will meet you in your stateroom after embarkation."

In a nutshell, my question to anyone that has done this before, can I have (for example) one suitcase that is for shipboard stuff that I take from home to Shannon and then it magically is delivered from our final tour hotel to the ship. And then also have another suitcase (44 lb. or under) that I will transport and check in myself on the flight from Cork to Heathrow and then take on to the ship myself. Basically am I allowed 2 suitcases?

Now in reality, I'm guessing I could take a steamer trunk (or 2) if I could manage it and pay the extra charges! However, I'm just interested in what is generally included on this cruisetour. Any help an experienced cruisetourer can give will be most appreciated. Thanks!

We did this tour. Yes.... you are correct. Your luggage will be taken separately to Southampton if you wish. Killarney is not your final day so you will need to check another bag on your flight to Southampton with what you need on the day you go from Killarney to Cork and from Cork to Southampton.

This is a fabulous trip and you will thoroughly enjoy it.

You should also be able to get more info on your specific tour in your Cruise Personalizer under the travel summary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are a gem! Thanks so much for the quick information. I have been scouring my personalizer but that level of detail just isn't there, at least not yet. As a side note, it does state we are flying into Heathrow instead of Southampton and then "motorcoached" on down to Southampton. It seems like it would be much more efficient to fly into Southampton, but I certainly don't know the logistics.

I have been very excited about this trip but also a bit anxious about the unknowns (I don't know what I don't know!) I appreciate your help!

They have a lot of buses regularly scheduled to go from LHR to Southampton. I would think this is why they're having you go there instead of to Southampton Airport. You'd think they'd use one of the budget airlines that goes from Ireland to SoTon but I suspect they must have a contract with BA or Aer Lingus. The last I heard, the tour is run by Globus and is still done excellently.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario
sp

You are a gem! Thanks so much for the quick information. I have been scouring my personalizer but that level of detail just isn't there, at least not yet. As a side note, it does state we are flying into Heathrow instead of Southampton and then "motorcoached" on down to Southampton. It seems like it would be much more efficient to fly into Southampton, but I certainly don't know the logistics.

I have been very excited about this trip but also a bit anxious about the unknowns (I don't know what I don't know!) I appreciate your help!

The Killarney to ship stateroom transfer is great as you do not have to struggle with bags at Cork Airport and the transfer to the motorcoach in Heathrow airport. You don't even need to do the usual porter/scanning stuff at Southhampton... your bags got directly to your cabin. Also, the flight is very early so the motorcoach to Southampton takes the slow, scenic route, and makes at least one stop with free-time touring and shopping near Southampton. Suggest you minimize the bags to handle personally and let Princess do the work, Have fun, it is a great tour.

They flew us on Aer Lingus from Cork to Southampton. We stopped in Winchester and were given free time there on the way to Southampton since they didn’t want to get us to the ship too early. When we did the tour...in 2015... it was run by Globus but you had no way of knowing that if you didn’t ask.

Don’t stress. It is very well organized. You are kept abreast of where you need to be and when. The hotels that they used for our tour were fabulous and I assume your will be just as good.

I’d keep checking under the travel summary in your personalizer. It’ll show up soon I’m sure.

Again.... you will LOVE both the landtour and the cruise

Thanks to you both for your detailed logistical information. I'm getting more excited about the trip the closer it gets. FWIW, our last night of the tour is in Cork (instead of Killarney), so at least we will be close to the airport for the "commute" to Heathrow.

We have always been treated very well by Princess and feel fairly sure they will do a good job with this kind of tour/trip. It's just all very new to us and I want to be as prepared as I can be (have the right luggage, etc.)

Thanks again and wishing you happy, safe travels!

Thanks to you both for your detailed logistical information. I'm getting more excited about the trip the closer it gets. FWIW, our last night of the tour is in Cork (instead of Killarney), so at least we will be close to the airport for the "commute" to Heathrow.

We have always been treated very well by Princess and feel fairly sure they will do a good job with this kind of tour/trip. It's just all very new to us and I want to be as prepared as I can be (have the right luggage, etc.)

Yes... our last night was in Cork also. You arrive fairly late in the day for check in to the hotel. Dinner that night is at the hotel so by the time dinner is finished there isn’t really any time to explore Cork. You do get a drive through on the way to the hotel, though. You will be getting up very, very early on the morning you fly to Heathrow!

I’ll bookmark this thread and if you have any questions about anything, please ask! I looked high and low before we took this tour and couldn’t find much info on it.

Judy

FYI, if you use the Princess option to forward some of your bags directly to the ship they will be collected in your last night in Killarney.... NOT at Cork. The bags are sent by a truck and packet-ship directly to Southampton. Your guide will explain all of the baggage options during the tour, and so you will have an opportunity to repack/reallocate stuff between your bags to best take advantage,

I love this post. We have booked our first ever cruise tour. We have always wanted to go on this trip so all the little details are making me feel better about our taking the plunge next spring. I will keep checking in on this thread.

This site is great feel better already :).

Judy/whatcruiseisnext - Thanks so much for your kind offer! If another question comes to mind, I may be in contact :) While I didn't expect it to be a heavily or frequently booked trip (like Alaska cruise/tours), I was still a bit surprised to not be able to find much about it at all.

Todd & Imelda/TRauppius - Yeah, I think I "got" it after about the 10th time of reading over my travel itinerary ;) Most of our luggage will be taken away in Killarney, not on the last night of the land trip as I had incorrectly assumed it would work. At least I have a few months to settle down (or more likely, get more excited) before we fly out. I am all for traveling lightly and letting Princess take care of as much luggage as they want to handle! Thanks for your help.

latebloomer56 - I hope you have a fabulous trip and much fun planning!

Yes... our last night was in Cork also. You arrive fairly late in the day for check in to the hotel. Dinner that night is at the hotel so by the time dinner is finished there isn’t really any time to explore Cork. You do get a drive through on the way to the hotel, though. You will be getting up very, very early on the morning you fly to Heathrow!

I’ll bookmark this thread and if you have any questions about anything, please ask! I looked high and low before we took this tour and couldn’t find much info on it.

Judy

Hi Judy, we're booked on the same tour as latebloomer56. Since you're offering (thank you), did you feel you were waking up very early each day you were on the tour? I kind of promised my travel partner it would not be like Alaska, breakfast at 5 a.m, luggage out by 6, on bus by 7 a.m. etc. Not complaining, just thought I'd try to prepare. Thanks for any info.

Peg

Hi Judy, we're booked on the same tour as latebloomer56. Since you're offering (thank you), did you feel you were waking up very early each day you were on the tour? I kind of promised my travel partner it would not be like Alaska, breakfast at 5 a.m, luggage out by 6, on bus by 7 a.m. etc. Not complaining, just thought I'd try to prepare. Thanks for any info.

Peg

We did get up early but it wasn’t THAT early. The only time that breakfast was very early was on the morning of the day you are flying to Heathrow. Some people on our tour opted to skip breakfast that day so they could sleep longer!

That being said, though, there are no late mornings where you can sleep in!

We did get up early but it wasn’t THAT early. The only time that breakfast was very early was on the morning of the day you are flying to Heathrow. Some people on our tour opted to skip breakfast that day so they could sleep longer!

That being said, though, there are no late mornings where you can sleep in!

Thanks Judy! If I can get 6 hours of sleep, I'm good. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Judy, I just thought of another question, if you do not mind. As you know, Princess will be transporting us from Heathrow to Southampton via bus.

Will the driver of the transport bus expect a tip? I understand tipping is not really the norm in the U.K., but not sure if that is true in this case.

Since we are not spending any real time in England, we were not planning on getting any British pounds. . . . . .

Judy, I just thought of another question, if you do not mind. As you know, Princess will be transporting us from Heathrow to Southampton via bus.

Will the driver of the transport bus expect a tip? I understand tipping is not really the norm in the U.K., but not sure if that is true in this case.

Since we are not spending any real time in England, we were not planning on getting any British pounds. . . . . .

Could not resist weighing-in as these same issues arouse during our tour. You driver will be taking care of you from about 9:30 AM at the airport and begins by loading all of the luggage. Then you have will have a several hour scenic drive with narration (not the motorway). You will then have a stop in a midsize city/town that gets the narrator drive around treatment and then are left to look around, shop, and snack/eat. Princess will have told the driver via cell-phone the time-window for your group to arrive for cruise check-in. The do this to avoid overcrowding and to adjust for delays and tide heights. For our cruise we spent about 1.5 hours in town. The driver will also loan his phone for folks to use, if needed hand out umbrellas from a bucket in the luggage, suggest what/where to go, etc. While in town the brits expect payment in British Pounds or Euros. We were hungry wanted to get some spit roasted pork sandwiches but only had low denomination USD and an assorted collection of Euro coins. Fortunately the vendor was familiar with our plight and accepted a pile of loose Euro coins and a $5 bill (nice guy, great sandwich). When we left the bus about 1:30 PM in Southampton we felt the "transfer" was more like a pleasant half-day excursion and so glady gave few more USD to our driver as he was unloading our luggage.

Best advice, keep a few of the Euros your will be using in Ireland... they are easy to spend in Britain and fine for tipping too.

I don’t believe that a separate tip was expected. As a comparison... we just did a Spring TA on the Regal and then flew from Copenhagen to Zurich where we did a Globus tour of Switzerland. We also had a bus take us from the hotel in Lucerne to Zurich on the morning the tour ended. It was a different bus driver than the regular one we had for the rest of the tour. Our tour guide told us his tip was included in the tour price.

No, the bus driver will not expect a tip. Euros are not easy to spend in London, especially any coins. You can use Euro notes in some tourist places at a very bad exchange rate. If you insist on a tip then give GBP.

Sent from my iPad using Forums