Sorrento Lift, which way from tender?

llarsen

Hi,

I am looking at a map trying to figure out where the Riviera will anchor in Sorrento.

We need to get up to the train station as quickly as possible to catch a tour to Pompeii.

I understand it is a long walk up to the town and one of our companions has knee problems.

I imagine there are taxis at the top which we could take to train station, but we need to take the lift up.

Does anyone know which way to go to get to the Lift once we tender in?

I've looked at Google Maps a million times but I keep seeing only the view from the top.

I need directions from the Dock to the Lift.

Thank you!

Normally such information is well supplied in the daily Currents the night before docking. Also a local rep is usually aboard early to answer such questions. Don’t overthink it, relax, you’ll have the info before you exit the ship.

Getting from Naples Cruise Dock to Naples Circumvesuviana train station

Many disabled cruise passengers in Naples want to visit the ruins of Pompeii, and unfortunately there are not any great options. If you want to take the Circumvesuvius train to Pompeii, you’ll first have to get to the train station. The Naples buses do not have wheelchair ramps and the train station is a long walk/roll from the Naples cruise dock.

2.4 km (1.5 mile) accessible route from Naples cruise dock

to Circumvesuvius train stationNaples-cruise-port-45.jpg

We were in Pompeii last November, with a private tour group, and witnessed some wheel chaired idiots from the Marina trying to negotiate the ruins. We cared the wheelchair out, while security carried the tourist out. Pompeii has ancient unlevel streets that are not for those with mobility issues. It is not flat and level, but hilly and even fully mobile tourist have to watch their steps and be fit. If one is worried about someone walking a couple hundred yards to the Lift, in Sorrento, Pompeii is not a good destination.

Keep in mind that even though Sorrento is on your itinerary, conditions are often such that tendering there is not possible. The ship will cross the bay to Naples and dock. You can still visit Pompeii, but you have to be flexible. I have never tendered into Sorrento. Only visited it on a land trip.

If you land in Sorrento port, the lift is off to the right, when you come out of the harbour, you walk along a path between the cliff face and the private beach clubs, it’s about 300 yds from memory, and I think are some small flights of steps on the way

Search for some of the port guides, I think Tom’s Port Guides is where I got the best info on it.

I do think the warning about trying to do cobblestones in a wheelchair is well taken ...

I sympathize with someone who can't negotiate these who wants to see these sites, but sometimes it isn't possible. I have arthritic knees which can cause problems with stairs and the like, although I haven't had real problems with uneven streets. Trying to see Pompeii in a wheelchair ... well, personally I don't think it's possible.

Mura

Thanks all...no one in our group is in a wheel chair. I just inquired where the lift is located because we need to get to train station quickly and if there are no taxis at the dock the lift seemed the best choice. I just don't want her to get sore knees walking quickly up the winding cliff to town in Sorrento.

I have tendered there I think four times, there are shuttles from ,owner town to upper town fir three or four euros.. I shuttle upmand walk down. I have been to the bus station but nit the train, in all my times there I never notice a taxi but people.good luck finding the lift. I never seen it.

Thank you ellbon for the information! If we see the shuttle we will just take that up. Thanks again.

When you get to the tender pier go to the right..all guests go to the right. There are some restaurants in lower town just run by then and look for shuttles. I think Oceania does not have Euros. Many lines do not carry local money. Make sure you get some from a bank in states or another port. Small change.

Upper town is crowded all the time..I seem to manage to walk and look and eat. Ithink you have to get thru to the other side to find the train.