Oslo, Hamburg & Bruges - ATMs, VAT Refunds, WIFI, Pay Toilets

cft8

First, apologies in advance if this is the wrong board. There seems to be overlap between this board and the Western Europe one for Hamburg and Bruges, but I did not want to post twice! I have searched for information about this and can't find definitive answers. I'm leading a large group on RCI's Northern European cities itinerary in August, but I have never been to these ports. Members of the group are asking for advice, so I am hoping to find some here!

In Hamburg, we will be at Steinwerder port, and we will be taking a bus tour that will drop us off near Rathaus for free time, followed by a stop at Minatur Wunderland.

In Oslo, we will be at Søndre Akershuskai port and will be going to the Norsk Folkmuseum and then in the afternoon will have free time in the Karl Johan's Gate area of the city.

In Bruges we will be at Zeebrugge and are taking a bus that will drop us off at the Bargeplein lot were we will start our walking tour, which ends up at the Market.

So, my questions:

Are there ATMs available right at the ports as you disembark? I think I am going to encourage everyone to get their Euro and Kroner before leaving the US because if all 60 people need to use the ATM, that will delay us in loading up the bus! But, I'd still like to know just in case. It does seem like from my research that there will be ATMs available around the cities so people should be able to find one once we are dropped off.

Do these port facilities have booths where you can obtain a VAT refund? Most everyone will be returning to the US from the UK, so from what I understand they will be able to do their VAT from the UK, Germany, and Belgium all at once when departing from the UK, since for now they are all in the EU. But, since Norway is not in the EU, I am guessing that any VAT refund would need to be obtained at the port.

How available is public WIFI in these cities?

How common are pay toilets? If you have paid to go in to a museum or attraction (for example, the Minatur Wunderland in Hamburg), do you still have to pay to use the restroom? I've been to Europe but have no recollection of ever having to pay to use the restroom, but it's been a while so I may not be remembering correctly. Specifically for Bruges, I saw on the map that there is a restroom at the Bargeplein park, but I can't figure out if it's free or not.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

For Oslo...

ATMs - I don't know if there is an ATM at the port facility, but they are widely available around the city, and there's one at the Norsk Folkemuseum. However, most transactions are done by card, including very small purchases. This is the best option unless the cardholder's bank charges a high fee for foreign transactions. Although local banks issue chip-and-PIN cards, staffed payment locations (shops, restaurants, etc) should be able to handle magnetic strip and signature-based cards. Automatic kiosks (vending machines, ticket machines, card-enabled public toilets) typically require chip-and-PIN.

VAT refund - Yes, I believe the port facility does have a VAT refund office. And yes, the VAT refund needs to be claimed upon leaving Norway.

WiFi - Many restaurants and cafes offer free WiFi, as do a few shops. In several places you may need to ask the staff for the password. It's usually not a problem, because cellular coverage is fast and inexpensive, so most locals just use the extensive 4G networks.

Toilets - Most museums have free toilets. Restaurants have free toilets for customers (in a very few places, this requires asking the staff for a code). The public toilets installed in city squares and parks are pay toilets and usually require a 10 NOK coin. Train stations and some shopping malls also have pay toilets.

on our last Norway cruise a rep came on board at the last Norway port to do the VAT refund

Just have all your bills ready

some places were not eligible & you had to mail in the receipts for the refund

For Bruges altho there are ATMs in the city there's no ATM at Bargeplein, though since you'll already have been to Hamburg that shouldn't be a problem.

Your bus drops you & parks there because tour buses aren't allowed in the cobbled city centre, there will be dozens of other buses including ships' buses doing the same. It's a pleasant 15 - 20 minute walk via the "little red bridge" to the Grotemarkt in the city centre. Make sure those in your party take note of their route to get back to Bargeplein - get it wrong & they'll have to swim across Minniwater :D

There's a little shuttlebus (€1?) from Bargeplein if folk don't want to walk.

For your other questions it's much the same as kaisatsu's reply re Oslo except .............

VAT refunds.

The only place you can apply for VAT refunds from any EU country is at the port / airport where you depart the EU. In your case that'll be your UK airport. There are refund offices at all of London's Heathrow & Gatwick terminals.

Being a UK and (currently) EU citizen I've never used the facility so I'm no expert. But I do know that there are limitations. For instance

- you should purchase in shops which offer a tax-free facility (strictly its not tax-free, you pay the tax & then get a refund).

- there's a minimum value for each transaction, currently €175. That's for the total of all purchases in the one shop at the one time in one transaction - so you can buy several items at one time totalling €175 or equiv but you can't combine purchases from different shops to reach that total.

- the refund is only for goods you take out of the EU. So it doesn't include accommodation, restaurant meals, drinks etc.

- altho refund office staff at the airport don't always ask to see the goods, you have to present them at your departure point if asked. So if you pack them in your checked luggage be sure to visit the refund office before you check your bags. Ditto the paperwork.

- there are fees.

- sometimes an on-the-spot refund may not be possible, and it may take months for the refund to come through.

Unless you spend a great deal on stuff to take home you'll probably decide that its not worth the bother. And for instance you may find the same goods a good deal cheaper at independent little shops that don't offer the facility.

To repeat, I'm no expert. But I suggest you don't place much emphasis on the expectations of VAT refunds without expert advice.

Here's a precis

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/individuals/travelling/travellers-leaving-eu/guide-vat-refund-visitors-eu_en

JB :)

How common are pay toilets? If you have paid to go in to a museum or attraction (for example, the Minatur Wunderland in Hamburg), do you still have to pay to use the restroom? I've been to Europe but have no recollection of ever having to pay to use the restroom, but it's been a while so I may not be remembering correctly. Specifically for Bruges, I saw on the map that there is a restroom at the Bargeplein park, but I can't figure out if it's free or not.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Off the top of my head, there are public toilets in Bruges at Oude Sint Janshospitaal costing EUR 50 cents. Most cafes only have facilities for customers and for museums it varies on whether you have to pay or not.