What is an "Interior Porthole"?

DaveNetMan

I was also wondering if you can see clearly out these port holes?

Yes, you can clearly see out (Not usually from across the room, you have to go up near the window,

We have never closed ours at night. Otherwise it would defeat the purpose of the natural light thing.

I've booked an Upper/Lower Interior with porthole on Carnival Splendor. The ones that fall under the Upper/Lower category have two separate beds, either an upper/lower bunk bed situation OR a twin and a sofa bed set up. I understand there is a separate porthole category that does have a king bed set up.

Mine is 2212 right at the front, and from my research the downsides are the noise of the waves crashing against the bow of the ship in rough seas, a lot of movement, and very noisy anchor dropping when arriving in port. None of these things bother me personally, but may bother others. I'll be solo on this cruise, so this cabin is perfect and priced right for me.

I found some videos on YouTube and you can see clearly out of the portholes.

When you book your room you can check the deck plan and it will tell you the bed configuration. When booking as a category, the upper-lower is a separate category.

Can you see anything out of the window? Or does the thickness of the Hull prevent you from Seeing out?

My first carnival cruise we had one of these, but I don’t remember and I have one booked for my kids in an upcoming cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Considering the thickness of the hull is just about the same as the thickness of the glass, yes you can see out. In addition, to what others have said, in heavy seas, you can get green water outside your porthole, so you truly have an oceanview.

Considering the thickness of the hull is just about the same as the thickness of the glass, yes you can see out. In addition, to what others have said, in heavy seas, you can get green water outside your porthole, so you truly have an oceanview.

--Unless the seas get REALLY heavy, in which case they might have to cover the portholes.

This happened on the Conquest during a hurricane the cruise before ours...all lower-deck portholes had to have the covers latched, which meant some of the crew couldn't see outside at all.

I almost always cruise solo, and I book the interior porthole whenever possible. I can see some of the port, get plenty of natural light, and get these advantages without the cost of the OV cabins. I love the movement in the front of the ship so that doesn't bother me, and I'm always awake before the anchor drops so it doesn't wake me up. LOVE the oxymoron of the interior porthole!

I almost always cruise solo, and I book the interior porthole whenever possible. I can see some of the port, get plenty of natural light, and get these advantages without the cost of the OV cabins. I love the movement in the front of the ship so that doesn't bother me, and I'm always awake before the anchor drops so it doesn't wake me up. LOVE the oxymoron of the interior porthole!

I must be a deep sleeper. I've been in 1206 on the Triumph twice, and I never heard the anchor drop.

I must be a deep sleeper. I've been in 1206 on the Triumph twice, and I never heard the anchor drop.

Normally you wouldn't hear the anchor (and they wouldn't drop it) unless you were anchoring at a tender port.

--Or missing the pier and beaching the ship on the shore, like MSC Armonia did. :o