Back from Bliss P Canal - my thoughts and suggestions on the ship

One quick question that I am really hoping you can answer for me or someone can answer for me, We are booked on the Cruise for January when it is in Caribbean, and Wondering what restaurants can be used for free for the Specialty Dining that you get free for booking a cruise with NCL? Thanks in Advance.

We ate at Cagney's, LaCucina, Q, LeBisto, Los Lobos, Teppanyaki - all included Specialty dining

Ocean Blue we paid a la carte for appetizers and then had dinner elsewhere, we didn't think Ocean Blue was worth dining package + $17 (but hubby wanted fresh oysters)

Can you give more details about the Studio Cabin? How big was the bed? Ample storage space? Was the shower head a rain shower? Any tips or advice? I was in a Studio on the Getaway and loved it.

It's a really good thing we didn't arrive at the bridge earlier. We sat at the last lock in the canal waiting for the tide to go out.

When we had a bridge tour the next day, Captain Staffan confirmed that we only had 4" (inches!!!) of clearance, even after waiting for the waters to subside.

That is why we'll remain the largest CRUISE ship to transit the new canal, for the foreseeable future. It's not the width of the canal, it's the height of the Bridge of the Americas.

Stephen

I think it is possible the 4" figure is something that was lost in translation, given without context or possibly someone just misspoke. Four inches is a little too small of a figure for clearance between a ship and a bridge. Usually those numbers are in feet or perhaps meter/s on the other side of the pond:D. While I have not been able to find out the precise height of the ship above the waterline (air draft), it is in the neighborhood of 190', perhaps those 4" came in on the wrong side of the upper limit. The reason 190' is significant is that is the upper limit for air draft for unrestricted passage under the Bridge of Americas. Ships with an air draft in excess of 190' up to 205' are permitted to pass under the BoA on a case by case basis.

The BoA has a clearance of 201' at MHWS (mean high water springs), the height of the tide at Balboa at MWHS is approximately +17.5'. This is when there is the 201' clearance between the bridge and the water. The tides at Balboa are considerable with the MLWS (mean low water springs) running close to -2, giving an average tidal swing of over 19'. Those of course are the mean swings of the tide while the maximum difference between low and high tide is close to 21'.

The second high tide on May 14 occurred just before 3PM and was 16.1' which was the approximate time the Bliss arrived at the Cocoli Locks. Sunset that day was 6:30PM and low tide was at 9:26PM with a 0.0' tide. Just curious, do you recall what time you went under the BoA?

I also was on the Bliss Canal cruise. In addition I was on the Breakaway Transatlantic in April. According to the B'way captain we were 60 miles from the Bliss on its TA.

My pictures of the last lock of the Cocli have a time stamp of 8:17 PM.

Some comparisons between the two cruises.

The food and menu at the MDR are equal.

The menu at the Local and O's has changes. I usually get the wings and Fish and Chips at this restaurant. Some changes in the type of wing sauces but can't complain.

The Platinum coupon substituted Q and Los Lobos. These were the two easiest to get a reservation.

The menu and food at Cagney's are the same except for higher prices for the entree.

The menus at the Le Bistro, La Cuccina, and Ocean Blue are changed. I preferred the old menus.

The Ocean Blue changed so much I would not recommend especially with the upcharge on the SDP.

For those interested the La Cuccina now has Pizza.

As the OP said they were pushing the buffet. What they didn't tell you was the upgrade of some offerings.

Among some of the unpublished offerings were Crab Legs (snow and king), shrimp, oysters, and stone crab claws.

For those that wand Indian Food there was a large area on the Bliss. As a comedian said this is where you go if you want to be alone.

Thank you for your review. I will see her firsthand in two weeks. I will say about your con of some places being chilly, just take a sweater. Some of us get got real easy and I appreciate when it’s comfortable. Can always add layers but can’t take them off. Well you can but nobody wants to see that lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you give more details about the Studio Cabin? How big was the bed? Ample storage space? Was the shower head a rain shower? Any tips or advice? I was in a Studio on the Getaway and loved it.

well they removed the mood lighting, but the mattress was same size and yet more cushy and very good for sleeping. They also have the bed tucked under the virtual window so about 3 more inches in room.

The window now has a full pull down tab and not mini blinds. Much better setup and you get the virtual window which I liked a lot..

Overall the studios during my cruise were last to get cleaned. The showers are the same with adjustable for height and hand held setup as well. The size inside is standard and still not very roomy.

But Bliss is stingy with hangers and also like I said no clip hangers for pants and skirt. You will get ice everyday too. Lounge for studios is just okay. I liked the Escape at bit better.

I think it is possible the 4" figure is something that was lost in translation, given without context or possibly someone just misspoke. Four inches is a little too small of a figure for clearance between a ship and a bridge. Usually those numbers are in feet or perhaps meter/s on the other side of the pond:D. While I have not been able to find out the precise height of the ship above the waterline (air draft), it is in the neighborhood of 190', perhaps those 4" came in on the wrong side of the upper limit. The reason 190' is significant is that is the upper limit for air draft for unrestricted passage under the Bridge of Americas. Ships with an air draft in excess of 190' up to 205' are permitted to pass under the BoA on a case by case basis.

The BoA has a clearance of 201' at MHWS (mean high water springs), the height of the tide at Balboa at MWHS is approximately +17.5'. This is when there is the 201' clearance between the bridge and the water. The tides at Balboa are considerable with the MLWS (mean low water springs) running close to -2, giving an average tidal swing of over 19'. Those of course are the mean swings of the tide while the maximum difference between low and high tide is close to 21'.

The second high tide on May 14 occurred just before 3PM and was 16.1' which was the approximate time the Bliss arrived at the Cocoli Locks. Sunset that day was 6:30PM and low tide was at 9:26PM with a 0.0' tide. Just curious, do you recall what time you went under the BoA?

I must have been sleeping when I wrote that. FEET. FEET. FEET. BoA clears 201, and our height was 198 FEET.

Oy vey.

Thanks for catching that.

We were DUE to pass around 6:30, but it was probably 7:45 or so, when we passed the bridge. My bridge tour (6 people) was the next day, and Captain was expounding on why we'll remain the largest cruise ship, for a while....because nobody else is larger, but less tall.

Stephen

I must have been sleeping when I wrote that. FEET. FEET. FEET. BoA clears 201, and our height was 198 FEET.

Stephen

LOL... That does changes things a bit, but that is still a lot of steel moving under a large immovable object. Thanks for the 198 figure.

Thank you for sharing! We are less thrn 2 weeks away from our cruise.

You mentioned cussing in jersey boys. My son is 10 and looking forward to the show as he sings in a chorus...how bad was the swearing?

Just off of the "Bliss" Panama Canal as well. First let me say that I am not a "PRUDE". However, there are several

"F-Bombs" throughout the show (several were not even related to the plot in my humble opinion, just put there gratuitously). Not sure a 10 year old should be there, however I am not the parent. As for the show itself (other than the cussing) it was very well put together (about 1 3/4 hours long) and the singing and choreography was very good as well.

well they removed the mood lighting, but the mattress was same size and yet more cushy and very good for sleeping. They also have the bed tucked under the virtual window so about 3 more inches in room.

The window now has a full pull down tab and not mini blinds. Much better setup and you get the virtual window which I liked a lot..

Overall the studios during my cruise were last to get cleaned. The showers are the same with adjustable for height and hand held setup as well. The size inside is standard and still not very roomy.

But Bliss is stingy with hangers and also like I said no clip hangers for pants and skirt. You will get ice everyday too. Lounge for studios is just okay. I liked the Escape at bit better.

Thank you! I will miss the mood lighting but I think the virtual window will be great!

Funny how everyone can have different experiences. I was on the same cruise and thought it felt less crowded then the Getaway. We only had one time where’s we had an issue finding a table in the Garden Cafe. I guess it depends on time you go.

I agree. Yes it was busy but we always found a place. Lots of times a two top at the windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just off of the "Bliss" Panama Canal as well. First let me say that I am not a "PRUDE". However, there are several

"F-Bombs" throughout the show (several were not even related to the plot in my humble opinion, just put there gratuitously). Not sure a 10 year old should be there, however I am not the parent. As for the show itself (other than the cussing) it was very well put together (about 1 3/4 hours long) and the singing and choreography was very good as well.

This will give you a sense of the show. The cursing is a by-product of young people in Joisey... it's the vernacular. If your son has ever heard the f-word before, I'm sure he'll be able to cope.

Stephen

F bomb, s...t, SOB, and some suggestive/crude language. It was more than a few times, and I thought unnecessary.

Lol it’s been on Broadway for over a decade and won several Tony’s, I guess others disagree.

Thank you for sharing! We are less thrn 2 weeks away from our cruise.

You mentioned cussing in jersey boys. My son is 10 and looking forward to the show as he sings in a chorus...how bad was the swearing?

We were on the Panama Canal Cruise and went to the late show to see the Jersey Boys, I heard the early show was the same. If you don't mind your Son hearing F this and F that many times during the show and, also, MF this then take him, but, I wouldn't. It was very adult.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Forums mobile app

A couple of F-bombs.

Nothing over the top.

I was on the ship for the 2-day preview in Miami.

We're booked for January and I believe my daughter will let her 10-y-o son see it.

He saw Brat Pack on Escape, and it also had a few F-bombs.

Not a few F-Bombs, a lot and, also, at least that one Mother F-Bomb ! Not for a 10-y-o.

I think it will be a very interesting future for the ship, especially for the fact that the average age of the cruisers was at 65.

So a different folk will lead to a different behaviour.

As already mentioned, the buffet is too small.

I saw an empty area in the front, but I am not sure, if they will use it for more tables.

We just adapted ourself to the small area in the following:

We picked our food and went down to the observation lounge instead of spending endless minutes to find a free table.

About the atrium:

Its the same problem on every ship and In my opinion some kind of no go.

Due to the fact that the guest service is located there its likely, that you want to clarify something very important, but its not really possible to communicate. So this could not very nice.

About the chair hogs:

Yes, they su**, but what su**s way more are people at the waterfront who abuse the tables for their feets. Especially if the put their bare feet directly on it.

Sorry, but whats going on in the head of these people?

I agree bare feet all over the place ! They put little signs up not to do it, but, they were ignored ! Morons !