Azura - balcony cabins D deck

binty

We have decided to take our first cruise next year on Azura. We are travelling as 4 couples and would like balcony cabins. I think we've decided on D deck, but would appreciate any advice on which specific cabins are best/which to avoid. Thanks!

We have decided to take our first cruise next year on Azura. We are travelling as 4 couples and would like balcony cabins. I think we've decided on D deck, but would appreciate any advice on which specific cabins are best/which to avoid. Thanks!

Hello,

As you have specified D Deck I am assuming that you are booking Superior Deluxe Staterooms as opposed to a standard balcony cabin.

We have stayed in a few of these on Azura & her Sister ship Ventura.

The Stateroom layouts are pretty much the same if not identical, the only issue (we found) is their location.

We’ve had D607, which if you look at the deck plan is directly above a lifeboat. Whilst this does not impact on your view or use of the balcony etc, we found it does matter if one of your ports requires a tender & they decide to use the one below you. It was very noisy when they started the mechanism very early to get it moving!

Last year we travelled with my Parents and had D627 & D629 on Ventura, just at the end of the lifeboats & above one they wouldn’t use for a tender. However, what you can’t see from the deck plan is that our cabin door was directly opposite an entrance doorway that the Stewards use. So early every morning you could hear their door being opened and their cleaning carts being rolled across the floor and the door banging shut behind them!

This year & next we have booked D406 & D412. Both are midship, but in the highest category so will cost more, however they are not above a lifeboat nor are they’re any hidden doors in the vicinity.

Hope this helps.

Joan

Thanks so much for that very helpful info Joan.

We’ve actually just been talking about it some more and maybe not everyone will choose the deluxe category. For those who don’t, i get the impression that C deck seems most favourable but seem to sell out quickly. Is there any advice for C deck balconies?

Thanks so much for that very helpful info Joan.

We’ve actually just been talking about it some more and maybe not everyone will choose the deluxe category. For those who don’t, i get the impression that C deck seems most favourable but seem to sell out quickly. Is there any advice for C deck balconies?

You’re welcome. We’ve only had 1 cabin on C deck, can’t remember the number but as you have cabins directly above & below there shouldn’t be any issue.

The balcony is larger than the other decks & partly covered, so if you can book C deck.

We have had the D deck balcony cabins on Azura and loved the extra space and bath. Just be aware that they are overlooked by the balconies above, it doesn't bother us but some may be bothered by the overlook.

D deck cabins are definitely for us! Does not concern us one bit that the balconies are overlooked, they are a good size and the cabins themselves are much bigger than C deck, having a sofa (rather than just a chair) and a bathroom with tub and shower. Have had them all over D deck and never been bothered with noise.

Hi...we haven't been on D deck but wouldn't even consider D deck. The balconies are completely " exposed" to people viewing and the elements. We always choose C deck on Azura/Ventura.....I love the balconies...I prefer more room on the balcony than in the cabin and we are not fussed about having a bath. With C deck you have the choice of sitting privately in the shade or of being more " exposed". Also if the weather...hopefully not...is rather inclement then you can still sit outside under the sheltered half.

D Deck Superior Deluxe Cabins, Good cabins with Bath and shower ( in the bath), good sized balconies which do project completely from the ones above ( but one persons 'overlooking' is another persons 'sunshine for longer'). And unlike Janny 444 it is our cabin of choice on Ventura and Azura.

Middle of the ship is more convenient and more stable but that's why those cabins cost more. Otherwise the cabin type is pretty consistent along the entire ship.

We had D114 on Ventura and it is probably the only cabin that we have had on any ship that we regretted booking -- any that far forward to be honest. It was very windy throughout the 17 day cruise and the bridge was so imposing being right above us. We were really disappointed.

Hi...we haven't been on D deck but wouldn't even consider D deck. The balconies are completely " exposed" to people viewing and the elements. We always choose C deck on Azura/Ventura.....I love the balconies...I prefer more room on the balcony than in the cabin and we are not fussed about having a bath. With C deck you have the choice of sitting privately in the shade or of being more " exposed". Also if the weather...hopefully not...is rather inclement then you can still sit outside under the sheltered half.

We agree completely. C Deck balconies are roomy and give you more flexibility. Being partially covered, you can remain outdoors despite any rain showers.

Just had a thought. When we were asking about a good cabin for Ventura people suggested B749 - it is an aft cabin with a larger balcony but it looks great. We have always regretted going for the D deck superior cabin and not that one - so much so that for our cruise in April 2019 we have booked that one.

May be worth you taking a look. It is cheaper but looks good and there is a link on Youtube

Just had a thought. When we were asking about a good cabin for Ventura people suggested B749 - it is an aft cabin with a larger balcony but it looks great. We have always regretted going for the D deck superior cabin and not that one - so much so that for our cruise in April 2019 we have booked that one.

May be worth you taking a look. It is cheaper but looks good and there is a link on Youtube

I may be wrong and perhaps others could confirm.

We have stayed in a B deck balcony cabin on Azura.

The cabin and balcony featured in the video looks to be the same regarding size and layout as the standard type B deck balcony we stayed in.

We had D114 on Ventura and it is probably the only cabin that we have had on any ship that we regretted booking -- any that far forward to be honest. It was very windy throughout the 17 day cruise and the bridge was so imposing being right above us. We were really disappointed.

We had D114 on Azura and yes, the bridge cast a shadow for a good part of the afternoon. We’re on Ventura next year and have booked D deck again but a bit more towards the middle this time

Thanks all for your replies.

It's such a minefield when you're new to cruises! Is there such a thing as seatguru.com or theatremonkey.com for cabins?![/quote

Hi.....can I please ask where you are cruising to for your first cruise ? Yes it is a minefield but I am sure which ever cabin you choose you will find it enjoyable. This what this forum is for ....to find out which cabins to avoid and which have a better position but of course it will still be what you want...do I want a balcony....do I want a bath....do I mind being overlooked....do I prefer to be nearer the lifts etc.

Thanks all for your replies.

It's such a minefield when you're new to cruises! Is there such a thing as seatguru.com or theatremonkey.com for cabins?![/quote

Hi.....can I please ask where you are cruising to for your first cruise ? Yes it is a minefield but I am sure which ever cabin you choose you will find it enjoyable. This what this forum is for ....to find out which cabins to avoid and which have a better position but of course it will still be what you want...do I want a balcony....do I want a bath....do I mind being overlooked....do I prefer to be nearer the lifts etc.

Bless you, thanks. We're looking at Spain, Monaco and Italy (A913). There are 8 of us going and 2 are pretty experienced cruisers so we're in safe hands! However, I'm a planner so like to do plenty of research so I know what to expect and can get the most from it. My only worry is sea sickness but I've got to give a cruise a try to find out if it affects me! For that reason I'd like to be as close to the middle of the ship as possible, I think. We're not bothered about a bath but definitely like the idea of a balcony to get some fresh air. Now just to trawl through deck plans, YouTube videos etc. And thanks to everyone here for their help too as there will be lots of questions :)

Hi......you are going to have a great time....with the number in your party you certainly want a larger balcony for your private partying. The balconies on C deck are very big....twice the size of other standard balconies so would easily accommodate all of you. If you choose a mid ship C deck I don't think you will go far wrong and as I said in my earlier post you will have the choice of being " exposed" to the sun and being overlooked or sitting in the shade and being private. And fire away with your questions....

I may be wrong and perhaps others could confirm.

We have stayed in a B deck balcony cabin on Azura.

The cabin and balcony featured in the video looks to be the same regarding size and layout as the standard type B deck balcony we stayed in.

Fromehat I understand the balcony is larger amd wrap around

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Fromehat I understand the balcony is larger amd wrap around

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Yes, I see what you mean.

Having looked at the Azura deck plan it does show B749 as an aft corner cabin and although the cabin itself looks the same as the B deck cabin we had the balcony does appear to wrap around the corner, giving a wider angle of view.

We have had this cabin twice on Azura. Standard size cabin but fabulous balcony :)

I like the idea of a cabin at the back of the ship as the views are fabulous but I'm worried about motion sickness.

Are there any thoughts on C238 v C704. I know the latter is by the lifts/stairs but don't know in reality if this is noisy or bad. Is one position better than another for motion or is it much of a muchness?

Hi....possibly much of a muchness....C704 handy for lifts & stairs ....also if you are fit & able you can walk up to the buffet without having to walk the length of the ship. As to possible noise from people using the lifts I don't know ....maybe someone else who has had cabins near the lifts/ stairs can answer that. We have had C722 when we went to the Med and I wasn't aware of much movement and I " suffer" from vertigo.

Just another thought when you have decided on a cabin that you are happy with....especially if its on C deck....mark it has No Upgrade because you may be upgraded to exactly a same cabin layout but what P&O perceive a better position which may turn out to be not a better position for you ...especially if you were put on another deck and lost your huge balcony

Hopefully this might be useful to the OP: I did this page in my blog a while ago, about balcony cabins on Ventura and Azura. There are many issues, e.g. size of the balcony; whether it's overlooked, and by how much; how shaded it might be; and as regards the aft balconies, which ones have bits of the ship running through them and which don't. The linked page has a go at discussing all these issues.