Help needed with mobile phone while on ship

cocowills

got Samsung phone can anyone help me what setting do I need to have my phone on as not to loose my internet when I get on shore but not incur charges while on ship, last year when we got to first port my phone said i’d Lost my connection

When on ship away from land - Turn your phone data roaming OFF and turn flight mode ON

When in port - turn data roaming ON and flight mode OFF

I do both of the above on my Samsung, to be certain of not incurring ship satellite charges

P.s. where you’ll change these will descend on your phone. In mine it’s

settings/connections/networks for data roaming

I use the pulled down icons from the top for flight mode but it’s also under settings/connections

Which phone do you have? You also ‘ought’ to be able to just toggle flight mode on/off, but my husband did that once on his very old Samsung S2, and it didn’t work, he got a text... he quickly turned the phone off! so we now also toggle data roaming too, just to be sure. I did just try flight mode on my note 8 and I got no extra charges...

Careful when in port but still on or near ship that you are not attached to the 'maritime' network. I think this is the ship's s satellite system and attracts big charges.

Happened to us while on the ship in Zeebrugge this February and very quickly ran up a £40 bill which BT thankfully refunded as they had just sent us a text to say that we had free roaming due to the new European rules. Your supplier may not refund if you roam while on maritime.

got Samsung phone can anyone help me what setting do I need to have my phone on as not to loose my internet when I get on shore but not incur charges while on ship, last year when we got to first port my phone said i’d Lost my connection

Mine was the same last year, also after going through euro tunnel in April. I could make calls and text but no internet.

I have just looked on the Talk Mobile website and according to there you have to enable your phone first. So if you are with them you have to phone them up.

Mine was the same last year, also after going through euro tunnel in April. I could make calls and text but no internet.

I have just looked on the Talk Mobile website and according to there you have to enable your phone first. So if you are with them you have to phone them up.

We are with vodafone and only have PAYG, we have Data roaming switched off all the time but we can still get internet wherever we can find free wifi.

I once made the mistake of not turning on airplane mode on a cruise, I sat at the bar in horror as texts came in showing my bill rising. It went up to £100 despite me turning it off immediately, luckily usage was capped by my network at around £40. I certainly learned my lesson!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for your help, I have Samsung 7

Just pull down the options menu and you can see both the flight mode and mobile data icons next to each other on the second row.

You should be able to use your mobile data in Europe but check with your network provider for usage outside of this area.

The ridiculous think about all this is it is as a result of the crooks running our telecom companies.

I have an old T-Mobile tariff that dates back to the days before they merged with Orange, got taken over by EE and then bought by BT.

One of the features / restrictions is you could only roam by choice. By that I mean if you went to use your phone overseas when you tried to access data a webpage would pop up with a message of "Not going to happen unless you agree to pay", which you then had to click through. It also only gave you a certain amount of data for that payment and then cut off.

With data roaming in Europe becoming free you now don't see the message when roaming there, and only see it if roaming outside - or on a marine network. You don't click you don't pay and even if you did it would be for a fixed amount.

Now if such a feature is available on a long dead tariff why is it not available on newer tariffs, is it perhaps because it would impact on the telecom companies profits too much?

Rather like this story, https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/jun/02/mobile-phones-theft-barcelona-bills-o2 Chap normally pays £6 a month, his phone is stolen and overnight runs up a bill of £2,763 and O2 with all their sophisticated systems claim they didn't notice anything wrong.

Crooks, all of them.