Amber Cove - where is the pickup point for private excursion?

Baby_Bear

Hi, starting to plan for our cruise in August, and had a question for Amber Cove. Where is the pickup location for those on a private tour? I read somewhere on Viator that people had a long walk, whereas people on ship tours were picked up right outside the ship. I'm traveling with my mom who has a bad hip and can't walk too much or too fast. We usually prefer private tour options, but if there is a long walk in the hot sun to reach the pickup location, we may elect to go with the ships tour.

Alternatively, does the port have a buggy or rickshaw service (paid is fine) that can transfer people from the ship to the pickup point?

Private tours must meet outside of the port area...it is a long walk.

Cruise ship tours meet just at the end of pier but have to walk from there to the buses in a parking lot, still a long walk but not as far as the gate.

There are the buggy things at the pier to take you from ship to end of pier, but do not work inside port area, so would only take you about halfway.

If you google Amber Cove, there is a website with a map to give you a better idea.

Personally, if I was traveling with a disabled person, I would just stay in port, shop and hang out by the huge pool, rent an umbrella, then head back to ship for lunch.

ALL tours from Amber Cove travel at least an hour to get anywhere, so you are sitting on a bus just to get to town (Puerta Plata).

It was about a 15 min walk, maybe 20 to get to the pickup point, with a hill with a slight grade in the middle, up heading out down coming back.

I don't think it took an hour to get to the cable car (our first stop) and only took about 30 mins back from town.

ALL tours from Amber Cove travel at least an hour to get anywhere, so you are sitting on a bus just to get to town (Puerta Plata).

Not quite true. There are a few excursions that are a much shorter drive, including some (maybe most or all) of the all-inclusives.

We did one last year and the drive was no more than a half-hour...probably closer to 20 minutes after leaving the port security gate. (It was at Lifestyles Resort.)

The walk to meet the private tours was probably 15 minutes for us from the ship, but would be quite a ways for someone with mobility issues. A ship tour may be best .

There are things to see within 20-30 min of the port. We did a private tour to the 27 Waterfalls. It was about 25 min from port . Puerta Plata is about 20 min once you leave the port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums