3 person cabin not available

When I go to book a cruise on Royal there are times when the website says there are no cabins for 3 people? If you call to book will that make a difference? Is it because they are already at maximum occupancy? It seems like most rooms sleep 3 to 4 people so I don't understand why there are no cabins.

Which ship? Many couches in many rooms on newer ships are not sofa beds.

When I go to book a cruise on Royal there are times when the website says there are no cabins for 3 people? If you call to book will that make a difference? Is it because they are already at maximum occupancy? It seems like most rooms sleep 3 to 4 people so I don't understand why there are no cabins.

There are many more "berths" (beds, pull-out couches, pullmans) than the ship is allowed to have passengers, as the ship is limited by lifeboat capacity. The reason there are more berths than capacity is to be able for those wishing to book 3/4 in a cabin to have flexibility in choosing a cabin category. If you look at the "maximum capacity" of a ship, compared to the "nominal capacity" (all cabins at double occupancy), the maximum is not twice the nominal (which it would be if all cabins that could hold 3/4 were able to be sold at 3/4 capacity). There is about 25% (varies with ship and lifeboats) above double occupancy to maximum capacity.

I was looking at the symphony of the seas. One sailing date had 3 person cabins, but the other did not. I wanted to start in Rome, and of course that one doesn't have any 3 person rooms.

Interporting (when a cruise has more than one embarkation port) is another set of circumstances. A fixed number of actual cabins (not just a number of cabins) are set aside for each embarkation, so this splits the number of available 3/4 cabins. Also, this makes the logistics of matching maximum capacity even more difficult, as they have to look at essentially two cruises on one ship.