Trip Report: ALASKA. Northbound Hubbard Glacier. Millennium. June 22, 2018.

Anita Latte

Hi Anita, glad to hear your Marriott Vancouver reservations turned out OK for you all. We usually stay at the Marriott Pinnacle and love it. I am now starting my planning for 2019 and got the e-mail about the Marriott points going up for the stays --- Ugh. Keeping my fingers crossed that we won't be hit too badly point-wise for our future stays. BTW taxi cost from Vancouver Airport to Marriott Pinnacle will be $35 plus tip.

We're actually going to stay at the Delta. I debated the Pinnacle and the Delta as they are both the same category...and both are similarly equidistant to Canada Place. I ultimately went with Delta because it is an all suites hotel and the room square footage was much larger, which I think will be better for our family of 3. DS is stuck on a sofa bed, but we decided that was acceptable to be in the bigger room.

Thanks for the info on the taxi rate...I'm sure Delta would be in the same zone.

And yes, both Pinnacle and Delta became category 8 hotels, now costing 40,000 points per night. I do feel very fortunate that Marriott honored the 35,000 points per night booking cost. Whew!!

Regarding your change in flight from Delta. I had the same thing happen to me on Delta.

Delta has a policy that if they change your flight time by over one hour you can call them and they will change it if a better flight is available at no charge.

In my case they had cancelled our Non-Stop flight from San Jose to Anchorage and re-routed us on a flight with a 4 hour lay over in Seattle arriving an 10:00 PM. When I called they found a flight leaving around 11 am getting in around 5PM. It was perfect and had been an alternative but was much more expensive. They switched us to the new flight free of charge. BTW my flight isn't until September.

Might be worth your time to check in with them.

Good to know! Thank you! Our first leg changed and then our connecting flight changed. The connecting flight did change by way more than an hour. I'll take a look at the schedule to see if it would be worth calling them...I was disappointed when my 12noon arrival changed to after 2:00pm.

You have certainly done your homework on locations in Vancouver. You are totally correct that the vast majority of our Asian population now live in a suburb called Richmond. (Very close to our airport). The “real original

Chinatown is rather run down now. The area where your walking tour begins and ends should be fine. Have a great time.

Rhonda

You have certainly done your homework on locations in Vancouver. You are totally correct that the vast majority of our Asian population now live in a suburb called Richmond. (Very close to our airport). The “real original

Chinatown is rather run down now. The area where your walking tour begins and ends should be fine. Have a great time.

Rhonda

Thank you again! I'm very happy to hear your confirmation!

I’m researching Seward all over again…checking out options for our last touring day for our vacation…the day where we check out of our Seward cabin and eventually check into our Anchorage hotel.

DH LOVES husky dogs. DH loves them so much…DS and I gave him a stuffed husky puppy for Christmas one year. We made jokes that it was the only husky that could truly be happy living so far SOUTH.

In honor of his love, we could visit Seavey’s Ididaride:

https://ididaride.com/tours/wilderness-dog-sled-tour/

I really like the sentence, “We consider the summer as weight-lifting program for the dogs.” In the FAQ.

I think I might have mentioned how I recently watched one of those nature shows that focuses on Alaska through the seasons…there were two things that stuck with me as a result of watching the show. The first…I didn’t know the origin of the famous Iditarod Mushing Race.

Based on my memory from watching the show…Back in the 1920s, there was an epidemic of some sort in Nome, AK. There wasn’t medicine available in Nome, but there was medicine somewhere else, far away. Because of the weather conditions, the fastest way to get the medicine to Nome was by dog sled. There was a huge relay with 20 different dog sled teams working together sequentially and nonstop to transport the medicine to Nome. No team had to travel further than 100 miles. Thus, the famous mushing race is held in honor of that great relay and to celebrate the effort of the dog sledding teams that helped to save so many lives in Nome.

The other information that stuck with me was about the mosquitos in AK. Anyone who researches Alaska enough will eventually run across the information of “Alaska’s State Bird” aka the mosquito. OMG. The visual of the flight of the mosquitos rising in the late spring…YUCK. This rise of mosquitos though…this is what motivates the herds of caribou to migrate. They walk to attempt to get away from the mosquitos!

Toward that end…that end being the hopeful escape of the dreaded mosquito bite…I did some research for mosquito repellent. DEET is the number 1 recommended thing to use to ward them off. DH and I used 100% DEET one year in Grand Teton National Park. I think it was called Jungle Juice. It was awful to use. Effective. But awful.

When DS was less than 2 years old, we successfully used an essential oil based repellent in Oklahoma.

More recently, we have successfully used Bull Frog’s Mosquito Coast. But I am nervous for this to be successful in Alaska.

There are supposed to be over 35 different species of mosquitos in Alaska.

Most mosquitos are attracted to the carbon dioxide that you exhale. SOME are attracted to the smell of the bacteria at your feet! These are the ones that stick around your ankles! It seems that you have to account for all these different mosquito types to have an effective repellent.

My research for an effective DEET free repellent lead me to this AK made mosquito repellent:

http://www.alpenglowskincare.com/html/insect_repellent.shtml

I can’t necessarily recommend it…but I am giving it a try. I figure that if I need to grab some DEET…it will likely be available, but I do prefer to try an alternative first.

I’ve found some helicopter rides in Seward that look interesting. I’m liking Mike:

https://www.marathonhelicopters.com

Two tours are of interest…

The first would not cost more than our originally planned tour. We could fly to the Marathon Mountain Bowl…take a picnic lunch…check it out the views from that elevation…and then hike down a 1.5 mile trail at our leisure.

The second would accomplish the original objective of our originally planned tour. We could fly up to and land on Godwin Glacier. The cost on TripAdvisor is, again, less than the cost on the tour company’s website. This would be much more costly than the original plan…BUT, we could get up close and personal with a glacier AND get in the air to see Alaska from up high…without being on an especially LONG tour.

I’m also looking at places of interest for a leisurely drive from Seward to Anchorage.

If you haven’t heard of it yet…The Milepost is a book that is universally recommended if you are going to be driving at all in Alaska:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1892154374/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I did order one. Not only does it go into details about points of interest on the highways…it has a bunch of advice about general travel in Alaska. I’ve repeatedly read posters advise making photocopies of just the pertinent pages if their local library has a copy. My library did not. The book is like a one inch thick magazine…that’s the size and the general thickness of the pages, which is actually lighter and thinner than normal copy paper.

I’m contemplating tearing my book apart and just bringing the appropriate pages for the areas we will be driving…Juneau, Sterling Highway, and Seward Highway.

I also ordered a big map book…which I am also contemplating deconstructing for our travels. Repeatedly…I hear two things…first…it’s hard to get lost in Alaska because there aren’t that many roads. Second, have a map because cell service is unreliable in Alaska.

I ALSO…just for fun…ordered a personal topo map for where our public use cabin is located:

http://www.mytopo.com

There are hiking trails, etc., around the area we will be…and maps are quite simply, very handy and useful.

Thinking about picking out a couple of stops for our travel back to Anchorage day…I’m looking into:

Byron Glacier Trail.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/chugach/recarea/?recid=6606&actid=50

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/alaska/byron-glacier-trail

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g31000-d6023930-Reviews-Byron_Glacier_Trail-Girdwood_Anchorage_Alaska.html

Also thinking about the Eagle River Nature Center:

https://www.ernc.org/about/about-ernc

Going to consult with DH and see what he thinks…

Thank you for the input! Very good to read! The walking tour is guided so it will be a group. I had read that Chinatown wasn't the greatest now...and that there's actually an area closer to Richmond? that is more Chinatown-esque that Chinatown? That there was a bunch of movement out to that area? Most of the recommended Chinese food restaurants seem to be out that way too...

I'm hoping that with the tour group...it will avoid the more unsavory areas...the tour is highly rated also, so that was increasing my confidence in the tour route. It is supposed to start in Cathedral Square and then end up in Maple Tree Square. What do you think about the likely route that will take.

Cathedral Square is downtown core, not Chinatown (and it's one of several spots you will see homeless sleeping on benches); Maple Tree Square is the 'heart' of old Gastown (where the statue of Gassy Jack, renowned as the founder of what would become Vancouver, is found). Forbidden Vancouver's tours actually take you, deliberately, to many of the sketchiest parts because that's the typical topic their tours cover - crimes and scandals of all sorts. I think they do a chocolate tasting now, but the rest are pretty much all skeeve-tacular!

While there is definitely a higher % of Chinese folks out in Richmond these days, it's not so much due to 'internal' move from downtown as different waves of immigration (there have been three separate major ones, each from different parts of China). Population is declining in the old Chinatown, as the folks there age out and their kids and grandkids (like most Vancouverites) have moved away for school, work, and cheaper housing to other parts of Canada as well as the 'burbs around the Lower Mainland. Long story short - downtown is still Cantonese, while Richmond is far more Mandarin speaking as most of the folks out there are from a more recent wave.

Many of the best Chinese restos are also downtown Vancouver, not Richmond - there has been a bit of a renaissance in recent years. As well as the famous small chains (Kirin, Sun Sui Wah, Dinesty, Hons - which actually closed their original Chinatown branch but kept the one on Robson street open) arguably the single best Chinese resto in the region is Dynasty Seafood on Broadway (they've racked up more awards in the local chef & restauranteur-driven Chinese Restaurant Awards than any other single resto).

Chinatown proper has actually seen several new Chinese restos open - though it's definitely much more multi-cultural than it used to be, which is a good thing from my perspective (more dining options on my doorstep) there has also been a very recent rejection of the continued westernization/'melting pot' that has accompanied local gentrification. The very recently-opened Chinatown BBQ, and the soon-to-reopen Foo's Ho Ho (which I personally am looking forward to more than any other resto in the last five years as I loved the original) were funded by 'local gal made good' Carol Lee to deliberately recapture the old school Cantonese restos found in Vancouver from pretty much the beginning of the city until Foo's closed.

Chinatown itself is actually less skeevy than it was even a few years ago. Compared to the eighties, yes, it's still worse but it's on an upward trend with significant gentrification - that's what all the local activism is about these days! The extra foot traffic in the evenings driven by the many new restos has greatly improved things. Visitors obviously can't tell this, but 'locals' who are actually from the 'burbs or even other towns and visit the area only occasionally are also rarely on top of such things. Even the folks who used to live nearby but moved away don't appreciate how rapidly change is happening - I see a big difference in even the last five years.

I live just outside the official boundary of Chinatown and walk this, Gastown, DownTown EastSide (which overlaps nearly 100% with Gastown, but not at all with Chinatown) all the time - based on where I see the shooting galleries and where I start getting offered drugs, sex and stolen goods I can assure you that there's a big jump when you hit the boundary between Chinatown and Gastown - and it's not Chinatown where the majority of stuff goes down...

I'll stop there rather than derail your Alaska-review-to-be any further, but pop back to correct any other misinformation that crops up;-)

• Like 1

martincath! You found my trip report!

For everyone reading...martincath is obviously a Vancouver local...very knowledgable and very willing to talk and share his knowledge! A prime example of the help and information you can get if you will start up a conversation by asking a specific question on the Canada board.

I'm still happy with the Forbidden Vancouver tour idea. Knowing the topic, it only makes sense that we will venture into places that we might not otherwise go...there will be plenty of daylight still and in the group setting...I'm really not that worried.

I don't live in an especially scary downtown, but I do live downtown and have grown sadly accustomed to the fact that the homeless exist in the world and they will be in an urban setting more than any other. Our own downtown has undergone a great revitalization. I've repeatedly been told that you wouldn't go where we go now even 2-3 years ago...so I do believe that when the tides of change come in...they can come in like a bore tide (LOL!).

It's wonderful to hear that the Chinatown area is undergoing that revitalization in a noticeable way.

Please do help me give accurate and correct information! That's the whole point of the review...

I wonder if we would see you walking around...I didn't realize you lived quite so close to downtown.

Just a quick update here...

I did finally call today to cancel our Ice Hiking. I'm very pleased to report that the cancelation went as it should...with no hassles and with the full refund of the deposit. They did ask why...which I think is a fair question...anyone in business wants to know WHY they are losing business.

We also have settled on a new plan for Seward...

We've decided that we want that glacier walk experience...and are willing to pay for it with a fast, fun helicopter ride. It turns out that it is cheaper to book directly with Marathon Helicopter.

With the booking...I had to give our weight! THEN I decided to look into that to see if there might be a problem...Hmm. Our party of 3 can only weigh a maximum of 600 lbs. Uh oh. We are walking that line...VERY closely...and then we're going on a 7-night cruise before we get there.

I called them to ask about how hard that line at 600 pounds was. Alyssa said that she would have to talk to Mike to see. I got the impression that since we were booking a shorter tour, it might be okay for us to be a bit over that 600 pound mark. It would appear to be more of a fuel efficiency related issue than a safety issue.

I could be beating myself up over this...just another example of how not meeting my fitness goals prior to going on this trip could be impacting the trip. But that wouldn't be productive and so I'm trying not to do that.

She's going to get back to me...

So...Check out of the Seward cabin. Helicopter to a glacier. Drive to Girdwood. Hike the Byron Glacier trail. Drive to Anchorage and stay in Anchorage prior to traveling home.

Hopefully, this will be our last touring day agenda.

After final payment…the advertised cruise fares were reduced. As our sail date approached, some fares were reduced significantly. SIGNIFICANTLY.

Unless you have easy transportation to the port, it would be hard for me to imagine taking advantage of these drastically reduced fares as an original booking. HOWEVER, if you watch…you might be able to take advantage and upgrade your previously booked stateroom for little extra. (As previously discussed in commentary.)

Mom and Dad did upgrade.

Watch those fares every day. And check a couple times during the day if you have the ability. When the AQ fare upgrade was around $200, Mom jumped on it.

We had to have a talk about that.

Blu is a major perk to booking AQ. Mom wanted to be clear with me that they wouldn’t plan on eating dinner there…dinner together is an important part of the day. I made it clear to her that I thought they could definitely eat breakfast in Blu.

We usually do the buffet for breakfast…but I don’t consider most buffet meals to be FAMILY meals. The back and forth. You aren’t all together at the table for the entire meal. Finding a table for 5 can be difficult. I know that Mom enjoys breakfast in Blu and that she and Dad have a morning routine that works well with Blu. Even though we are traveling together…we can start the day apart and meet up when we need to for our excursions.

Also…she may enjoy the Persian Gardens…especially if we are doing something that she isn’t necessarily super enthused to do. Like shore fishing in Juneau. Depending on how that schedules out…maybe she’d like a bit of a spa morning? Or a spa evening? It’s nice to not have to pay extra for a quick trip to the steam room...it’ll all be okay.

I repeated checked the fares for our family. Nothing could compare to the deal that I booked though because of DS.

DS’ fare was just over $500 AFTER all taxes and fees. He was super cheap because of the 3rd and 4th passenger promotions that were applied to his fare.

Under the current fare structure, he didn’t get a reduced fare…so fares would be somewhat cheaper for DH and I but double DS’ fare. Which did not save us any money. Especially when considering that most rooms would be smaller with less seating.

I watched those Family Verandas...and still look, because that is the only available stateroom category that I consider to be a better cabin for our family than our current cabin. But I’m not willing to pay what it would cost to do that upgrade at this time. So it isn't likely to happen.

BUT…the point is that if you see a fair fare that is budget friendly…book it. Watch your cruise, especially after final booking. You might find deals.

DH and I were in a debate over whether or not is what worth it to upgrade to the Premium beverage package. We didn’t know how much we would really be imbibing on this Alaska vacation…as this is more of an active vacation. How much would we really be drinking?

Our decision was forced sooner than we would have preferred because of the impending price increase. If we wanted it…we needed to do the upgrade now. Or rather, then.

And we did. Using our OBC to do so.

I contemplated adding a similar beverage package for DS…but I don’t think he would drink $22 plus 18% in drinks per day. We’ll be paying OOP (or available OBC) for his drinks.

Even with the beverage package, I’m thinking of picking up a couple bottles of champagne to bring on board, as per our allowance. I don’t think the champagne (or sparkling wine) options on board are that wonderful. Champagne can be opened without a bottle opener so is easy to open wherever a corkage fee wouldn’t be charged. Might be nice to have a celebratory anniversary toast. We’ll see.

Also contemplating bringing DS’ favorite soda. Only because I don’t think they have Mountain Dew or Orange Fanta on the ship. I’ll have to see about that.

Packing for summer in Alaska is a hot topic.

The weather is extremely changeable. Not only week to week…but day to day…and even hour to hour. Basically, the advice is to prepare for everything. It can be cold…especially when you are near glaciers. Or near the water. Wind chill alert!

BUT…it could be in the upper 70s…and feeling quite warm if you have a sunny day…and especially if you are hiking or active.

It could start raining. Then stop for a while. Start up again. Or not.

You could get hot walking / hiking around…but then cool off while taking a break. Especially in the shade.

A friend shared two photos of her in Alaska, both taken within a couple hours of each other. In the first, she is standing up on deck in Glacier Bay. She is all bundled up…head covered, jacket, gloves. In the second, she’s in the sun, on her balcony, sheltered from the wind, and wearing short sleeves!

Everyone says to pack layers. Wear layers. Expect that you might be doing a bit of undressing and redressing all day, every day.

This resource was one of the clearest for me:

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/what-to-pack.html

Our touring wardrobe is based on the layers discussed in this article. The packing has yet to be completely finalized…we owned quite a bit of what we are bringing. We have been making purchases since we booked the cruise to fill in the blanks…some of which were happy purchases appropriate to our new location.

So layers…

Comfort layer…what you want next to your skin.

Warmth layer…examples included fleece, sweatshirts, sweaters, flannel, puffy coats.

Protection layer…water PROOF jacket.

We still haven’t finalized our packing, but generally…for port excursions:

Comfort layer:

Merino wool shirts. A combination of short and long sleeves. I prefer merino wool to typical slick technical fabrics because the wool does have superior stink prevention…and I guess I’m just stinkier than most. I can stink out the “stinkproof” rash guards that Athleta sells. We will definitely be wearing clothing more than once…BECAUSE we will be able to because we are bringing clothing that should be less stinky. (We have tested the wool shirts and find that we can wear them 3-5 times easily and they still didn’t stink bad when we finally washed them…they just smelled like deodorant more than anything (especially for the men)).

Bamboo blend shirts. Bamboo also has some superior stink resistance as well as wicking and temperature control. The biggest draw back to the bamboo is that it doesn’t dry as fast as the wool. We find it to be softer though…so we enjoy the mix.

Warmth layer:

Fleece. Love fleece. Especially athletic fleece which tends to be thinner and thus packs up smaller.

Sweaters. DS doesn’t enjoy wearing active wear as much as DH and I, but he does like sweaters.

Flannel. Cotton isn’t as wonderful as other fabrics because if it does get wet, it can take forever to dry. Flannel shirts are a staple warmth layer in this house though…so everyone will likely have at least one flannel shirt.

Protection layer:

Our raingear was purchased at Cabela’s prior to our Chicago field trip.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/clothing/womens-clothing/womens-outerwear/womens-rainwear/pc/104797080/c/104789880/sc/104480280/i/103914180/womens-storms-edge-stretch-rain-jacket/1931774.uts?slotId=3

What I like best about it is the fact that it isn’t as crinkly and noisy as typical raingear. The fabric is softer and much quieter. I also like the price. We were able to purchase these on great sales…similar to the current sale. They’ve been used repeatedly and I’m happy to report that they are effective.

Other things we are bringing:

Wind proof gloves. I saw the recommendation for wind proof over anything else. We purchased a pair last fall/early winter when such things were common and easy to find.

Hats. We have a variety of hats in the house. I did recently purchase a ponytail beanie by CC:

https://www.amazon.com/Quality-Knit-Messy-Bun-Beanie/dp/B01N9W0KAL/ref=pd_sim_193_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01N9W0KAL&pd_rd_r=VXTE0KAWZF4YNBTTVRGQ&pd_rd_w=BL7kj&pd_rd_wg=deEDb&refRID=VXTE0KAWZF4YNBTTVRGQ

I have longer hair and I do like wearing a pony tail when I’m active…and especially in the wind…pony tails for long hair are the best.

Polarized Sunglasses. DH had polarized already but DS and I had more fashion sunglasses. Polarized does make a big difference, especially around water.

Scarf. I think DH and DS might pass on the scarves. They are both heat machines…but I want the extra neck protection should I need it. I have a thin cashmere scarf that I love.

Baseball Cap. I would prefer to have a waterproof cap…but my jacket has a hood so if I really care, I’ll put the hood on too. The brim is what I care about, especially if it rains…I find rain hitting my face to be annoying. We aren’t going to deal with umbrellas because I’ve read that the wind and the crowds make them more of a nuisance than a help. So caps it is. Especially if we are lazy and wearing eyeglasses instead of contacts.

SmartWool socks. Love these socks.

Waterproof hiking shoes. We are bringing sturdier hiking boots than most would require, but we will be hiking to our cabin post cruise…with backpacks…so we want the additional ankle support.

Swim suit. I absolutely plan on making use of the thalassotherapy pool onboard. Maybe the dry sauna too.

Shorts equivalent. My eye doctor said to bring shorts!

I was due for my annual exam. Definitely wanted to get in to get contacts for our cruise. Had a wonderful conversation with my eye doctor who had cruised to Alaska a couple years ago. She said that she was surprised to have some warm summery days...and wore shorts. And a jacket.

Following a recent trip report...the crowd photos in Juneau showed a couple wearing shorts and fleece jackets. Jeans paired with short sleeves. A woman in a puffy knee length coast, hat, scarf, gloves, leggings and boots. I think what you need to be comfortable will depend a lot on what weather you are accustomed to dealing with.

Where Mom and Dad live, in Scottsdale...the snowbirds come down during the winter and all wear shorts and tees. The locals are dressed in sweaters and jackets and pants. In the restaurants, they ask if they can sit outside. They are surprised to be told No. They argue that they will not be cold. They are told that the locals serving them WILL be so they do not have service outside in the WINTER.

All this to say...weather can vary from feeling like 40s to feeling like pushing 80. That's a big range and what is comfortable for each individual will greatly vary. Plan your own layers appropriately.

Mom said of her previous trip that she was so hot...because they hadn't packed in preparation for some warmer weather. They had packed like they would be freezing in Alaska...which was good on most days except the day that it was actually fair and warm.

I don’t personally wear shorts…so I’m bringing what I wear when DH wears shorts...who will be packing shorts.

Water resistant pants. Our jackets cover our rears…so we’re going to call that good enough. Everyone has nylon, quick drying pants to bring.

I’ve been doing laundry like mad…getting everything ready for the final decisions on what goes and what doesn’t…which I anticipate making next week.

Our packing will be more streamlined than others might have for two reasons.

1. We are flying. Not only are we flying, we are planning on possibly riding the SkyTrain in Vancouver AND walking to Canada Place. AND renting only a full sized car in Alaska. I don’t enjoy dealing with a lot of luggage.

2. We are bringing gear. Most are not concerned with all the gear that they are ALSO taking on their cruise vacation. Again…dealing with our luggage…gear is necessary so need to streamline clothing, etc.

3. We are hoping to only check 3 bags. We recently got an Amex so that we could check the first bag free…we are hoping to avoid checked luggage fees.

Final wardrobe decisions will be based on the weather forecasts…in particular for Vancouver…as that is the most likely to be the most summer like weather.

I’m just now able to see our cities on the 14 day forecasts.

Current Vancouver forecast is showing highs in the lower 70s, feels like upper 70s. Low chance of rain! (Please oh please…)

Lovely.

martincath! You found my trip report!

I've been following for a while - it's intriguing to see someones entire thought process laid out!

For everyone reading...martincath is obviously a Vancouver local...very knowledgable and very willing to talk and share his knowledge! A prime example of the help and information you can get if you will start up a conversation by asking a specific question on the Canada board.

Thank you - I do my best to give the real skinny, especially in matters which I am passionate about. Speaking of - be sure to be queuing up before Medina opens if DH needs a HOT waffle, and ask nicely for the newest batch. They get made in bulk and while they're not served cold, that crispy shell means they stay crunchy even at room temp so they can sit around for quite a while... plus, not being square and with many open-sided sections it's very hard to do the 'equal dribble of topping in every hole' with Liege style. Better to dunk pieces in the little pot of topping provided to ensure even amount with each bite!

I'm still happy with the Forbidden Vancouver tour idea. Knowing the topic, it only makes sense that we will venture into places that we might not otherwise go...there will be plenty of daylight still and in the group setting...I'm really not that worried.

I doubt they'll be taking you anywhere with needles lying around deliberately, but expect some unexpected 'colour commentary' from locals while you're touring (I was showing a friend around last week and we were harangued as 'users' - there are some strongly-held opinions about folks making money out of any tours in Gastown, not just the really stupidly-thought-out ones that were focused on the local inhabitants. I've heard similar insults thrown at tour groups, and when showing other friends/family around myself, from folks who live there and thought I was a paid guide rather than someone who lived just a few blocks away myself...)

I don't live in an especially scary downtown, but I do live downtown and have grown sadly accustomed to the fact that the homeless exist in the world and they will be in an urban setting more than any other. Our own downtown has undergone a great revitalization. I've repeatedly been told that you wouldn't go where we go now even 2-3 years ago...so I do believe that when the tides of change come in...they can come in like a bore tide (LOL!).

I see you've moved around a fair bit, so you should certainly know the score. Bonus points for terminology - did you live somewhere with a regular tidal bore? It's not a term I ever hear except from others who are local to such regions (usually from warning tourists who want to rent a boat about them so they don't die...)

It's wonderful to hear that the Chinatown area is undergoing that revitalization in a noticeable way.

Pros & Cons - personally I feel the local activism has actually gone too far in some ways of late. A decent-looking building plan with subsidized housing dedicated to local seniors was canned because of protests - even though the only thing being 'lost' was a piece of waste ground used as a car park! If things continue in this vein we'll end up with a very Chinese-looking neighbourhood architecturally but mostly populated by white hipsters. But if the community had not banded together years ago, there would be no Chinatown or Hogan's Alley at all, just highways cutting through downtown and connecting to the bridges, and there are plenty of good folks trying to keep the 'hood alive and Chinese without being rabidly against new developments - just the huge boring towers and other 'not in keeping with the style' plans which I agree are a bad idea.

Please do help me give accurate and correct information! That's the whole point of the review...

Will do.

I wonder if we would see you walking around...I didn't realize you lived quite so close to downtown.

I will be out & about even more than usual while you're in town - our Inspiration Pass came up for June 20th - these are fantastic free passes to almost 30 attractions around the city that can be booked through the library system. Waiting list is over 3 years now they're so popular! The only thing better is the Cultural Pass that new Canadian citizens now get for their first year, giving access to over a thousand sites across the entire country. Suburbanites up here are just as bad as in the US for hardly ever getting downtown unless that's where their office is - ideas like these really help with encouraging 'staycations' instead of heading off to Disney/Warm places on vaycay!

I'm very glad this writing is intriguing...I did want to share...and hoped to offer some help by going "behind the scenes" so to speak.

Noted on Medina. Hot IS important. Good share. Thank you!

Weird sentiment regarding the tours...but duly noted. We are forewarned.

I have moved around quite a bit. At 46 years young, I have never lived longer than 4 years under one roof. I have never lived near a bore tide. I'm a voracious reader and researcher...when I came across the phenomenon, I was fascinated by it.

We've lived where similar passes can be checked out through the library. I've seen historic site annual passes and state park passes. Never a pass for local attractions though! That's brilliant!

Funny how true it is about locals visiting attractions. It's odd how the ability to visit something whenever you want isn't very motivating. I have been guilty of that myself. I'm trying to change that though!

Gear.

There’s a lot of gear.

First, something everyone might be interested in. The camera.

I’m an enthusiastic photographer, but not technical. I want photographs of Alaska, of course, but I don’t want to be so preoccupied with photography that my experience is largely through a tiny screen.

I also can’t be bothered to deal with changing the camera lens…especially since I have never done that before.

I own a point and shoot camera. Researching waterproof cameras was the only reason I was even camera shopping. The so called tough or sturdy cameras. Submersion isn’t the plan…but weather and water activities? I don’t want to be worried about my camera.

If I’m going to be kayaking in a bay full of ice bergs…I want at least one photo to commemorate the occasion.

I finally settled on the Ricoh WG-50. Not found on many lists of great “tough” cameras…but the specs are quality. It’s definitely a step above many inexpensive waterproof cameras geared more towards kiddos. This review was influential in my decision, because I wanted a camera that took decent pictures out of the water:

https://www.shutterbug.com/content/ricoh-wg-50-review-rugged-adventure

Perhaps most important, the camera body is extremely grippable…even with gloves on. The shape has grooves and ridges. Something to consider when looking at glaciers, whale watching, and kayaking.

As weird as that might be…that was my ultimate deciding factor, once I had narrowed down my choices to the few cameras with quality specs in my budget.

https://www.amazon.com/Ricoh-WG-50-Waterproof-Camera-Digital/dp/B07239XJ6B/ref=pd_sbs_421_9?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07239XJ6B&pd_rd_r=VW50X53WK58B3N4CMYCW&pd_rd_w=hMdIw&pd_rd_wg=mBPjB&psc=1&refRID=VW50X53WK58B3N4CMYCW

I’ve been taking it on walks and taking pictures. I’m quite pleased with this purchase. The landscape mode is quality. The ability to adjust the ISO has also improved my landscape photos.

Here we go…proof that pictures will eventually be included in this review!

I took a couple photos of DS on a hike in Portrait mode. Forgot to change the setting. Trail photo in portrait mode:

RIMG0249.jpg

Same trail…landscape mode:

RIMG0252.jpg

Trail with automatic ISO setting:

RIMG0240.jpg

Trail with lowered ISO setting (either up to 200 or 400):

RIMG0241.jpg

I think these test photos are likely scenarios for some picture taking opportunities in Alaska…dim light, overcast, and in the trees (for our hiking anyway).

One thing I love more than anything…I literally stick this camera in my pocket…no case…NO WORRIES. I whip it out and shoot some photos…then stick it back in my pocket.

The only thing that was bugging in this situation is the potential for smudges on the camera lens…possibly ruining my lovely photos. I grabbed this at my local Academy:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/spudz-ultra-blaze-orange-lens-cloth

The little pouch is 2” x 1.5”. Handy dandy little lens cleaner…also very handy for sunglasses and eyeglasses.

Our group of 5 will now have two waterproof cameras.

Dad already owns one…I believe his is an Olympus. His is a higher caliber than mine…but he had a bigger budget, so there you go.

When we last traveled together…in the Southern Caribbean…it wasn’t until I put together a photo book that I realized Dad wasn’t in very many photos. He was the only one with the tough camera. He took most of the photos.

I’m not going to let that happen in Alaska.

My thoughts regarding the camera situation is that we should have a bit of a relay with the cameras. During excursions like the whale watching…everyone can have a set amount of time with a camera…and that’s it. If you don’t have a camera, you have to just enjoy the experience…trusting that whoever does have the camera is doing their best.

And if their best is a photo of a bunch of water…because they just can’t capture that whale on “film”…the water photo will still remind you of the day. And the photo may be even be more precious because a loved one took it while you were with them.

I’ve also purchased an inexpensive USB SD Card. I’ve advised Dad to bring a USB flash drive. The plan is to send Mom and Dad home with a flash drive full of whatever photos we have taken and for us to have whatever photos they have taken.

The card reader may not be necessary for all the cameras…we have cords…it’s just another plan for photo transfer in the event we need some troubleshooting.

Daypacks.

That packing list on Experience Ketchikan recommended this lightweight, water resistant daypack.

https://www.amazon.com/Outlander-Packable-Lightweight-Backpack-Daypack-Orange/dp/B00PEULPQO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1490914253&sr=8-3&keywords=lightweight+backpack&linkCode=sl1&tag=experiketchi-20&linkId=d59b6b3b0ac7a0b3bca48b9661948fb9

We ordered two. We typically use string bags. We have several with wider straps and larger capacities…but their carrying capacity is still lacking when we are talking about wanting a place for carrying rain jackets, etc. These little daypacks are like string packs on steroids. Super packable capacity.

Field tested already, we give this daypack a thumbs up based on our recent, albeit short lived (so far) use.

Fishing rods.

We did purchase two new rods to hopefully catch a King. DH did the research…he settled on Santiam Rods that break down into shorter lengths. Fits in what they call a 28” tube (inner capacity) that measures 30.5” long.

https://www.santiamfishingproducts.com

If anyone is seriously interested in the fishing gear…I could go into more detail…just not sure that is truly interesting. I will say this…a couple of the recommended fishing lures are RIDICULOUSLY big. OMG.

Hip waders.

This was a tricky one to settle on. Waders are pretty darn necessary for shore fishing…but DS and I are not the fishermen DH is. DH already owns waders…but what to do about DS and myself? Hip waders seem like the perfect solution for us. We found decent ones on sale at our local Field and Stream.

https://www.fieldandstreamshop.com/p/frogg-toggs-rana-ii-pvc-cleated-hip-waders-17ftoarnpvcnylnhpwad/17ftoarnpvcnylnhpwad?uniqueID=3496312&color=Dark%20Brown

Note: Felt bottomed shoes are not permitted in the waters of the Juneau area...DH is unsure if that regulation extends to other Alaska waters.

The last gear I’ll share here…Cooking stove.

We have been watching the Running Wild series with Bear Grylls. He uses a wood fired stove. DH and I thought that would solve all our concerns regarding stove fuel purchases and/or transportation.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0125U36Q2/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Without going into great detail…we will be packing backpacking style backpacks, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, water purification and cooking equipment. Everything is lightweight and geared toward backpacking…not car camping.

How will we pack all this?

This was a dilemma.

Most backpacking backpacks are too large to be a carryon item. All the straps do not make for airline friendly luggage though.

Most advice for checking backpacking backpacks for air travel involve putting the pack into a duffle style bag. The idea is that you aren’t as concerned with the handling convenience of the duffle (unlike wheeled luggage) because you can unpack and wear your backpack on arrival…Fold the duffle and put it in your backpack.

This is our strategy. I settled on this duffle by Samsonite:

https://shop.samsonite.com/backpacks-duffels/duffels/samsonite-tote-a-ton-duffle-bag/43610XXXX.html?dwvar_43610XXXX_color=Black&cgidmaster=duffels-and-weekenders#start=8

The reviews also state that this is a great duffle for summer camps and sending kids off to college.

DS is going to the Boston Conservatory for a summer program…and unbelievably, he will be headed to college at the end of next summer…

One review, or two or three, did mention that the zipper doesn’t always want to stay closed. I found this smart clip at Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-1-Stainless-S-Biner-2-Pack-SB1-2PK-11/202531373

I can’t believe that the online photo shows it with zippers pulls! Awesome…

Most everything will be double packed in the duffles...whether in a backpack or a packing cube.

This week…we will be packing.

We leave for the airport one week from tomorrow.

I'm very glad this writing is intriguing...I did want to share...and hoped to offer some help by going "behind the scenes" so to speak.

Noted on Medina. Hot IS important. Good share. Thank you!

Weird sentiment regarding the tours...but duly noted. We are forewarned.

I have moved around quite a bit. At 46 years young, I have never lived longer than 4 years under one roof. I have never lived near a bore tide. I'm a voracious reader and researcher...when I came across the phenomenon, I was fascinated by it.

We've lived where similar passes can be checked out through the library. I've seen historic site annual passes and state park passes. Never a pass for local attractions though! That's brilliant!

Funny how true it is about locals visiting attractions. It's odd how the ability to visit something whenever you want isn't very motivating. I have been guilty of that myself. I'm trying to change that though!

Being raised a country boy, I just assumed all city folks took advantage of the mountain of things they have on their doorsteps - until six months into my first urban residency I found myself being asked where to eat and what to do by folks who had lived there for their entire lives... familiarity does indeed breed contempt! These days the intrawebs makes life so much easier - though I'm sure at least ten of my excess pounds come from no longer visiting the library daily!

This is somewhat out of left field, but thanks to our pass coming up and derailing vaycay plans, I find myself with June 21 & 22 mornings entirely open (the missus has meetings so we can't get out to our sightseeing until after lunch). I could easily meet you at Medina just before they open Thursday (I really don't need much of an excuse!) to add some tidbits of local knowledge to your morning on Granville Island, or if your Friday is still open show you somewhere you haven't seen yet before boarding (Chinatown/Mount Pleasant/Athlete's Village for example, maybe somewhere a bit off the tourist track for brekky or lunch).

If it does sound of interest, drop me a line to my CC Gmail account. Of course if meeting up with a rando is just too weird, no worries and no insult taken;-)

In the interest of factual information, the transportation company that I used is:

https://www.akcruiseshuttle.com

Anchorage Tours and Transfers.

<snip>

Following along, and very interested! We're taking the SB Millenium Seward-to-Vancouver in August 2019 with my brother, who has never been on a cruise before. DH and I have cruised Alaska r/t Seattle once and Vancouver twice, so this will be a new one for us. We did a DIY land trip in between our first 2 Alaska cruises, with 3 nights in Anchorage, drove to Fairbanks for 3 nights (drove the Dalton Highway!), then 2 nights in Denali, and it was a fabulous trip. Sadly didn't see the top of the mountain, though. We took the "non-tour-guided" shuttle to the end of the road, stayed on it except for the occasional restroom break and still had a great time. Our driver must have been an aspiring tour guide, coz we got commentary too. Anyway, thank you especially for the link above, as I've been wondering how we'll get from Anchorage to Seward.

Best wishes and hope you have a wonderful cruise.

If it does sound of interest, drop me a line to my CC Gmail account. Of course if meeting up with a rando is just too weird, no worries and no insult taken;-)

Meeting up with a rando is very weird. But that's the world today isn't it? It isn't TOO weird though! Mom and I discussed and we figured we have you outnumbered 5 to 1 so if there's any funny business...LOL!!! Getting together for breakfast sounds lovely. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm helping my friend with her dog walking business today...but I'll be in touch soon.

Following along, and very interested! We're taking the SB Millenium Seward-to-Vancouver in August 2019 with my brother, who has never been on a cruise before. DH and I have cruised Alaska r/t Seattle once and Vancouver twice, so this will be a new one for us. We did a DIY land trip in between our first 2 Alaska cruises, with 3 nights in Anchorage, drove to Fairbanks for 3 nights (drove the Dalton Highway!), then 2 nights in Denali, and it was a fabulous trip. Sadly didn't see the top of the mountain, though. We took the "non-tour-guided" shuttle to the end of the road, stayed on it except for the occasional restroom break and still had a great time. Our driver must have been an aspiring tour guide, coz we got commentary too. Anyway, thank you especially for the link above, as I've been wondering how we'll get from Anchorage to Seward.

Best wishes and hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks for reading! Sorry to read that you couldn't see the top of the mountain. I understand that's common...but it's a great excuse to go BACK.

So.

I received a lovely complement from a friend who spent time reading my trip report last night...so weirdo that I am...I've been reading my own trip report this morning...

And low and behold...I discovered that I didn't post a little segment that I had written regarding the whole public use cabin camping post cruise. Suddenly, I'm talking about the public use cabin like everyone knows what I'm talking about...

SO.

Here is the missing link...

Recall. I'm researching the camping idea...Where? How?

We’re talking about tent camping. Not RV camping.

I was shocked to learn that there is a lot of FREE camping in Alaska. First come. First served.

I recall that the campground at Exit Glacier in Seward had this policy. Reviews were excellent.

When you compare free tent camping to the cost of a hotel…that leaves a lot of extra $$$ for excursions. It seemed well worth the effort to bring along sleeping bags and pads. They are, after all, backpacking bags and pads…very packable.

I’m not a big fan of first come, first served though. Not when we are talking about the weekend before the Independence Day holiday.

And packing a tent?

What if it rained?

It’s one thing to deal with inclement weather when you are touring…and have a happy shelter to retire to.

Our 3-person backpacking tent is nice…but I wouldn’t want to hang out in it for any length of time if we were dealing with poor weather.

I was concerned.

Enter Public Use Cabins.

https://www.alaskacenters.gov/trip-planning/lodging-permits/cabins

Wow. So reasonably priced.

And this would give us our wilderness, get away from the people and get into nature, experience that we so desperately wanted. For us…our trip to Alaska wouldn’t be complete without some sort of overnight wilderness experience.

Public use cabin. I was all over this idea.

Many cabins are inaccessible by car. Oh my. We’re talking boat, plane, or trail. Huh.

I did find several that would work. And I honed in on my favorite.

I only had to wait for a couple months for the booking window to open!

And hope that an Alaskan resident didn’t reserve my desired cabin before I could.

A test run for reservations revealed that reservations could be made beginning at 10 am EST (I don’t recall! Sorry!)…180 days prior to your check in date.

Let the wait begin.

You may be wondering about showers.

Fun fact for you…many Alaska residents do not have running water. Therefore, there are many different types of facilities that offer public use showers. Showers are often found at self-serve laundromats.

Makes perfect sense if you think about it.

All your needed running water services in a one stop shop!

The cost of a shower is commonly $5; I found up to $8 per shower. Often, a towel can be rented for $1.

Hostels.

Campgrounds. Even if you are or aren’t staying at the campground…or the hostel...you can pay for a shower! There’s a campground in Seward that is along the shore…it has public showers.

How many nights would we stay at the cabin? What would we do? Where would that be?

Meanwhile…assuming that we could get our desired cabin…I had to plan our Alaska itinerary.

Which meant that I had to finally dive into port excursions. Time to start getting that overall picture of what we were going to DO on our vacation.

I had a clue as to the sleeping situation…even if it wasn’t finalized.

Time to read all about excursions.

(And that was my segue into the discussion of port excursions...and I how I finally started looking at the PORTS on our CRUISE vacation).

Meeting up with a rando is very weird. But that's the world today isn't it? It isn't TOO weird though! Mom and I discussed and we figured we have you outnumbered 5 to 1 so if there's any funny business...LOL!!! Getting together for breakfast sounds lovely. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm helping my friend with her dog walking business today...but I'll be in touch soon.

Okily-dokily. We've had pretty good luck with randos from shared-interest message boards - but I still like to ensure meeting in a a very public place for the first mutual 'is-this-person-an-axe-murderer?' assessment! Given the typical Medina queue even on weekdays there will be plenty of witnesses;-)

Okily-dokily. We've had pretty good luck with randos from shared-interest message boards - but I still like to ensure meeting in a a very public place for the first mutual 'is-this-person-an-axe-murderer?' assessment! Given the typical Medina queue even on weekdays there will be plenty of witnesses;-)

As I said...I'm SO looking forward to breakfast. Gonna be a good time!

My travel dates are on the extended weather forecasts!

OMG!

Time to really get down to the nitty gritty on clothing.

This could be the most cumbersome post…or series of posts…because this is my process. This is how I tackle what clothing to bring.

Welcome to my analysis…feel free to skip this one…LOL. Writing this all out really helps me though...

The answers to these questions help to start my packing list:

What is the warmest weather we are expecting?

What is the coldest?

What activities require special clothing?

The longest range forecast I can find is on Accuweather’s website.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/vancouver/v5r/daily-weather-forecast/53286

I can see projections up to and beyond July 2, 2018…our fly home day.

Here’s an interesting site I found that rates the accuracy of weather forecasts:

https://www.forecastadvisor.com

Too bad it only rates forecasts for the United States.

In Vancouver, I believe we’re going to have warm weather! There is little difference in Vancouver forecasts between the 5 different weather sites I consulted. I see highs between 77 and 83 degrees, with the warmest day on arrival and cooler after that.

Ports in Alaska are ranging from 60ish-70ish degrees for highs…47-60 degrees for lows.

Our post cruise Alaska is looking to be the coolest…Go figure. The further north you go, the cooler it gets… Highs 55-65. Lows 42-50.

I’m not too concerned with rain. We plan to always have our raincoats with us. Always. I don’t care what the forecast says.

Going back to my questions…

Vancouver is the warmest weather we are expecting. Our Vancouver plans involve city sights…nothing out of the ordinary. Moving on.

Our kayaking day is the coldest expected weather…but most of our post cruise days will be similar.

Kayaking also requires the most specific clothing.

Clothing-wise, our tour is providing us with:

Dry Suit

Neoprene gloves

Shoes

They say to bring:

Warm Layers (avoid jean and cotton)

Wool Socks

Warm Hat

Sun glasses

Sometimes the recommendation to bring “warm layers” makes me nuts. I’d like more specific information please! What does that mean EXACTLY?

This article is helpful:

https://www.paddlinglight.com/articles/wetsuit-vs-drysuit-for-paddling/

Describing clothing appropriate for water of varying temperature ranges…I suddenly wondered what the water temperature would be.

https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/alaska_tmap.html

The waters should be calm, but the warning for preparedness for possible submersion gives me pause. I realize that the Dry Suit provided is not only for warmth while kayaking…it’s an essential piece of gear to help me survive should I unexpectedly fall into the drink and need to swim to shore or get back into the kayak.

I don’t anticipate this happening.

But no one ever does right?

The recommended Long Underwear and/or wool baselayers are both warmer weight…also suitable for our 4 touring days post cruise in addition to the kayaking day. Also suitable, if necessary, for glacier viewing and possibly whale watching.

That’s 4 days…for 2 items. Each worn twice. Works.

If we go warm for whale watching, that leaves 3 other port days…which will all be walking/active days. Suitable for short-sleeved SmartWool and short-sleeved Bamboo baselayers. These comfy base layers are also good likely candidates for lounging on our first Sea Day.

That’s 4 days…for 2 items. Each worn twice. Works.

The only other rather particular clothing requirement we have is for fishing. We need something that is compatible with wearing waders. Pants that are more fitted and/or stretchy. Comfortable under waders. These should also work for under the dry suit for kayaking. That’s 4 days. Hmm…2 again? For 4 days?

Pants for 2 more port days…the quick-dry pants style is still likely to be the best option. Especially in the event of rain. That totals 6 days.

How many times can you wear a pair of pants? Is 3 times too many? This might be a laundry need… We could begin by flip flopping 2 pairs during the cruise. Laundry may or may not be necessary. We do have a chore day planned…and a laundromat scouted out in Girdwood, AK.

http://www.girdwoodchamber.com/girdwood-laundry-showers/

Our beverage package may be used to purchase a shot, or two, or three, for a most unusual purpose.

Did you know that vodka is the secret backstage tool used to refresh stage garments in between wearings?

I received this little tidbit here on the forum. Researching this…I discovered that, indeed…especially for dry clean only and other hard to wash garments…and because of simple logistics (it’s not feasible to wash stage clothing between every production)…garments are sprayed with vodka to kill the body odor smells.

Tests show that it works best when you spray places like armpits on the exterior and the interior of the garments…to the point of being slightly damp…and then letting them air out overnight.

Vodka is superior to rubbing alcohol for this purpose. Ethyl alcohol is preferred as isopropyl alcohol can be a skin irritant…isopropyl alcohol, found in rubbing alcohol, also isn’t quite as effective against the odor causing bacteria as the ethyl alcohol found in vodka.

I’m packing a small travel sized spray bottle.

Please bartender…can you fill this with vodka with my premium beverage package? It’s less than 100 mL. LOL!

One last thing for fishing, DS and I…we need belts…as our hip waders attach to a belt to stay up. Casual…active wear type belts.

So…at this point, I’ve covered our active touring days fully…head to toe. That’s 6 days. And Sea Day tops. 2 additional halfdays.

Packing List (In Progress):

Raincoat

Long Underwear

SmartWool ¼ Zip 250 baselayer (long-sleeved)

Fleece

Hat

Windproof gloves

Quick-dry active wear pants - 2

Casual, active wear belts

SmartWool 150 baselayer (short-sleeved)

Bamboo blend baselayer (short-sleeved)

Still to consider…

Travel Days…4 days

Warm Vancouver Touring and Embarkation…2 days

Sea Day bottoms…2 halfdays

Cruise Evenings…

But my brain must rest now…and think on those tomorrow.

Maybe I can think on this a bit more…

Cruise evenings…

Celebrity does Evening Chic in lieu of a truly formal night.

We’re going with chic, not formal…

Let’s get real. I don’t even think I’ll be chic…

Two dresses. Recent purchases. They are stretch bamboo. They are even more stink proof than the bamboo blend.

I did a test run. I wore one dress three days in a row.

I had to wash it because I got popcorn grease on it…not because it smelled bad.

Woo hoo!

These are casual, not very noteworthy, super comfortable dresses.

https://www.pikoclothing.com

I should share that I have recently come to the realization that I don’t particularly enjoy dressing up on my cruise vacations.

I used to think I did.

I would pack a sort of capsule wardrobe with some mix and match possibilities for evening, as well as a dress or two for formal night. Especially if the more dressier nights were actually called Formal Night.

By and large…those mix and match items would come home unworn.

I might dress up for a night or two…but then I would revert to me. The real me. And I wouldn't change much before dinner.

Mom often says that always take yourself on your vacation…

Know thyself! It’s powerful stuff.

SO…in honor of the realization that I’m just a casual person…sailing what is reputed to be one of the most casual cruise itineraries…I’m going to plan for two casual dresses.

With optional leggings to be underwear-flash proof (they are a bit short) and for added warmth. As I generally think cruise ships are cool in the evenings...and I want to be able to go on deck.

I won’t change on embarkation day. Likely, I will likely not do a full change at least two other times on the cruise…so, likely, I will wear these dresses twice each.

Enter jeans.

One of my port pants are these most wonderful cargo leggings:

https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1098758&pcid=50000&vid=1&pid=870940012

I think they’ll be great under the waders, etc. And they are the best for hiking around. But I don’t want to wear them around the ship in the evening.

So…in the event that I’m not up for changing into one of my dresses…I will at least change into my jeans.

And likely want something besides my fleece over my base layer, if necessary. I like flannel shirts. Done.

Said jeans and/or leggings will be ideal for bottoms on the two Sea Days.

Cruise evenings…done.

Sea Day bottoms…done.

Packing List (In Progress):

Raincoat

Long Underwear

SmartWool ¼ Zip 250 baselayer (long-sleeved)

Fleece

Hat

Windproof gloves

Quick-dry active wear pants - 2

Casual, active wear belts

SmartWool 150 baselayer (short-sleeved)

Bamboo blend baselayer (short-sleeved)

Bamboo dress 1

Bamboo dress 2

Leggings long

Leggings capri

Jeans

Flannel shirt

Now I just need to figure out Vancouver…

And our travel days…