St. Thomas snorkeling for beginners

bakery

For beginner snorkelers, would you recommend snorkeling excursions at Cas Cay or Turtle Cove?

Thanks!

Islander may have a different opinion and I would defer to his knowledge but I think Coki beach might be better.

Islander may have a different opinion and I would defer to his knowledge but I think Coki beach might be better.

Why Coki??......and do I just take a taxi there?? Does Coki have places to eat? Any shade at all??

Coki rocks! Try this link... http://www.cokidive.com/

They will pick you up at the ship...gotta find your own way back but taxis are plentiful. Coki has lots of fish and just a great atmosphere. Theres also a great hut to get lunch at. My daughter, who was 16 at the time, had her first dive here and loved it. Email if you want pics... ukbballfan78@yahoo.com.

I've heard good things about Coki on the boards, but Princess doesn't offer an excursion there (that I can see). As a first-time cruiser, I'm a little cautious about taking non-Princess excursions. If Coki is that much better I might go for it, but it would be helpful if anyone who's been to Cas Cay or Turtle Cove could post.

Thank you!

I've heard good things about Coki on the boards, but Princess doesn't offer an excursion there (that I can see). As a first-time cruiser, I'm a little cautious about taking non-Princess excursions. If Coki is that much better I might go for it, but it would be helpful if anyone who's been to Cas Cay or Turtle Cove could post.

Thank you!

Did a little research for you. Check out this link and then find the part about beaches. http://www.*****

It seems that the Ritz is located at Turtle Cove, so facilities, if you can use them will be first class.

Cas Cay is an off shore island. Do a google search and you can find some info about it.

If you have a whole day in St. Thomas any of them will be fine. Just get a cab to Coki if that is waht you decide.

Did a little research for you. Check out this link and then find the part about beaches. http://www.*****

It seems that the Ritz is located at Turtle Cove, so facilities, if you can use them will be first class.

Cas Cay is an off shore island. Do a google search and you can find some info about it.

If you have a whole day in St. Thomas any of them will be fine. Just get a cab to Coki if that is waht you decide.

Really helpful.......thank you!!!

Hello,

I agree with zqvol, the snorkeling at Coki is good for beginners. Here is why: its shallow and the snorkeling is not far from shore, there is a good assortment of fish to see.

ciship, Coki is a 12-15 minute drive from Havensight (where most ships dock), there are places to eat there - they are beach shack type places, not much shade.

A note: The Ritz Carlton Resort is located on Turtle Cove on St. Thomas (their property is also on the neighboring beach named Bluebeard's Beach). However that is not the same Turtle Cove the daysail cruise ship excursions go to. The Turtle Cove excursions are to a small island called Buck Island, the area for snorkeling at Buck Island is called Turtle Cove. I am pretty sure it is Turtle Cove, Buck Island that your cruise ship excursion is going to head to.

So if you are comparing snokeling off an island and snorkeling from a beach the experience is different. Coki will have more people, it is shallower. Buck Island is sort of out in the ocean, deeper... you might see more turtles or the like than smaller fish but you will certainly see fish also. The excursion will include boating out to the island so take that into consideration to, that you get a little boat time in the trip. Buck Island is located about 2 miles from the south coast of St. Thomas. (This isn't the same Buck Island as the National Park that is off of St. Croix, although the St. Thomas’ Buck Island is also a protected area - it’s a national wildlife refuge.)

--Islander

http://www.*****

Islander........thanks for that great info. I think I am going to just take a taxi to Coki and snorkle in the shallow waters with the kids. Sounds great! By the way.......will St. Thomas and St. Maarten take US money (like in the little eating huts on the beach and in the markets) or will I need to convert to different coin??

ciship

They will gladly accept U.S. currency! I see you are going to be on the Mariner...we sailed the Navigator, it's sister ship, in 03. You will love the ship! It's huge.

Yes, I'm very excited to be trying RCCL for the first time. We really enjoy Carnival, but I wanted to see what RCCL was all about in comparison. Looking forward to it all!!

Archived