Anyone with recent experience disembarking in St. Petersburg?

Hello fellow cruisers :)

We are sailing on Serenade of the Seas in a few weeks and one of our ports is St. Petersburg, Russia. I have been reading that those who book shore excursions through RCI are allowed to disembark first. We booked through TJ Travel on our own, not through RCI. I am just wondering how much time we should allow to clear immigration in order to meet our tour guide, and if anyone has any advice/tips, etc.

Thanks in advance!

We are sailing on Serenade of the Seas in a few weeks and one of our ports is St. Petersburg, Russia. I have been reading that those who book shore excursions through RCI are allowed to disembark first. We booked through TJ Travel on our own, not through RCI. I am just wondering how much time we should allow to clear immigration in order to meet our tour guide, and if anyone has any advice/tips, etc.

Thanks in advance!

I too am wondering as I will be on SOS for Russia in August. My ship is in for 1 day onlt and I did book a shore excursion with the SHIP since I want to make sure I get back!!!!. I don't mind paying a bit more for this sure thing especially in Russia. I am glad in a way that the ship excursions get off first. After all the ship pays port taxes and vets the companies they use.

But good luck with your trip and hope all goes well. For me as a solo traveller, I just like using ship tours which I hope don't get cancelled cause everyone is doing their own thing. I feel like it is sinful to use ship trips and it should NOT be this way.

Probably took us 30 minutes to navigate passport control with an RCI excursion. The first day they will print a visa that will stay with your passport until you return that night. I thought there were two exits, one for RCI excursions that gather in the theater, and another for non-RCI excursions. We had to present our RCI excursion ticket to prove we had an excursion with a visa. There were 10 lanes that I remember, with line of 10 people that moved pretty quickly. It was an odd experience, no verbal interaction what-so-ever.

Getting back on the ship was not so easy. From bus to cabin took over an hour because the Russian computers crashed.

I would think TJ travel should have enough experience with RCI protocols that they will give you the proper time. Another words let them make the call.

Disembarked in St P last year, we did a private tour with SPB Tours. The first day in St P is kind of disorganized, customs takes longer the first day. They tried to say that ships tours had priority but many people would not put up with it and said call security if you want to try and stop us, they just gave up and let everyone off. In any case do not worry your tour will wait for you, they understand that there could be delays. One couple on our tour was pulled in for extra interrogation and we waited for them. Also most of the large tour companies like SPB guaranty to get you back too the ship on time or they will get you too the next port. In my opinion private tours are much better, you will be in a van with a maximum of 16 people (probably less) as opposed to a ships tour on a big bus with 45 people, this really makes a difference in the amount of things you can see in a day. Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone for the information! We’ll be sure to line up early, and I’ll put my husband at the front of our group - he has one of those faces that seems to make people not want to cross him

Our paperwork from TJ Travel explicitly states the cruise line can’t hold passengers against their will.

I just got back from a Baltic cruise and noticed on the first day when I took a ship sponsored shore excursion that they were not letting independent tours pick up for the first 90 min after the ship arrived. They are doing that only on days when there are 5 or more ships in as on those days the port gives the 5 company’s that do the ships tours priority. the terminal building has four immigration rooms with 10 booths each they use 2 to 3 rooms depending on the ship. Also be aware the ship may use a ticket system for disembarkation similar to tender tickets. Bring a light jacket Since the weather in St. Petersburg is a bit unpredictable

We went on a TJ Tours excursion but not that recently as it was 2014.

We were on Adventure and the night before and in the morning there were constant announcements that if you weren’t on a ships tour you were to wait until they left.

Having done some research we ignored this and were waiting on the stairs for the Captains announcement that the gangway was open.

We were through customs in 10 minutes.

The big ships tours caused chaos behind us and some tours were 2 - 3 hours late leaving.

Hopefully things will have improved now but I’d still be waiting to get off.

TJ Tours are great, enjoy your time in St Petersburg.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did this port last year with a private tour company. We had heard all the rumours about ships tours getting off first, but there was no need to worry in the end. We never saw the ships tours at all. I suppose they went to the theatre. We started lining up very early where ropes had been put out on the stairwell. About 6.30 if I recall correctly. The long queue was managed very efficiently by Serenade staff, was good natured, and there was no queue jumping at all. We were off the ship and processed very promptly. There were lots of booths open, and while the process is a little intimidating, as long as you have all your paperwork, there shouldn’t be a problem with getting through. We ended up waiting some time for our guide as we were through so promptly. So my advice is to get up and in the queue early.

Thanks in advance!

We did not book w/ RCL. We booked privately. The ship did not seperate accordingly for our cruise. If they do on your cruise which I do not believe they will, just go anyway. Don't wait. Our group of 10, was off the ship and through customs so early that we literally had to wait for our private van to arrive. BTW, St. Petersburg was really a great port/stop/excursion.

Enjoy your cruise!

We just got off Serenade on Sunday, spent one day in St. Petersburg and had booked a private tour will Alla that was to start at 8am. Cruise compass said that anyone with a private tour should not attempt to get off prior to 8 (we docked at 7am) as the private excursion vehicles would not be allowed in the port - that was not true, our driver said he was on sight at 7am. We got off at around 7:30am and no one was checking to see if you had a private or ship excursion. Took about 30 minutes to get through customs, and there were RCI personnel at the front of the customs lines moving those with excursions to the front of some lines.

We just got off Serenade on Sunday, spent one day in St. Petersburg and had booked a private tour will Alla that was to start at 8am. Cruise compass said that anyone with a private tour should not attempt to get off prior to 8 (we docked at 7am) as the private excursion vehicles would not be allowed in the port - that was not true, our driver said he was on sight at 7am. We got off at around 7:30am and no one was checking to see if you had a private or ship excursion. Took about 30 minutes to get through customs, and there were RCI personnel at the front of the customs lines moving those with excursions to the front of some lines.

We did a private tour with Alla tours (similar to TJ) last July. It took awhile to get through customs. Honestly, it was the worst port for customs/immigration procedure that we have ever encountered in over 40 cruises. They checked and rechecked everything both getting off the ship AND returning to the ship. It was not just us, it was everyone which is probably why it took so long. No smiles, no welcome to our country, nothing but stern looks. That being said the whole process getting off the ship took maybe 40-45 minutes. Our tour guide (who was stellar,BTW) was waiting for us when we FINALLY emerged from the terminal. The tour was WONDERFUL and worth going through the immigration hassle. :D

• 1 month later...

Thanks in advance!

We booked thru TJ and it was an amazing three days! It took us less than 15 minutes to clear immigration including waiting in line!