Marriage Proposal in Alaska?

crusn2gethr

Hi all! I am a proud parent of a recent Master's Graduate and for his graduation gift we will be taking a family cruise to Alaska. On that cruise he is planning to propose to his girlfriend (oh, where does the time go?)

Pre-Cruise will be in Anchorage. We will be doing a road trip down the Glen Highway. Post Cruise is Vancouver. We will be doing a Vancouver Highlights Tour.

The cruise will be stopping in Skagway, Ketchikan, and Juneau. Our plan for Skagway is a road trip on the South Klondike Highway ending at Emerald Lake. In Ketchikan we will be flight seeing Misty Fjords Monument, and in Juneau we will be doing a Whale Watching Tour and Mendenhall Glacier.

My question from him to all of you is where would be a good place for the proposal? Thanks!

Pre-Cruise will be in Anchorage. We will be doing a road trip down the Glen Highway.

How much time will you have pre-cruise? Where are you headed on your Glenn Highway trip? A proposal on the Matanuska Glacier would be pretty memorable.

Couple of other possibilities -

At the statue of Captain Cook at Resolution Park in downtown Anchorage...

7167010979_69dcf63582_b.jpg

In front of the totem poles at Stanley Park in Vancouver...

371151774_df015dd813_b.jpg

Or stop at the Carcross Desert on your drive up the Klondike Highway...

140646779_91848a81af_b.jpg

Drive a few miles past Emerald Lake to the Robinson Roadhouse ghost town on the Klondike Highway...

28501547945_730ce3bee8.jpg

I live in Alaska, and anywhere UP the Glenn Highway is terrific. If you are military there is JBER joint base Elmendorf Richardson just outside Anchorage. Thunderbird Falls in Chugiak. Palmer has lots of quaint areas. North to Matanuska glacier. Not sure how much further you can go in 1 day. The ship has many romantic opportunities.

Two questions about the proposal that have absolutely nothing to do with questions you asked: is she expecting it and is he going to give her a ring?

I would never have thought of this but when my son asked his girlfriend to marry him while outdoors on a winter trip to Colorado the jeweler asked the same thing to him. He replied no and yes. The jeweler said in that case, he would give him a 'temporary' (cubic zirconia no doubt) ring to use for the proposal because in all the excitement you don't want to lose the ring (especially in the snow) and that way she could come into the jeweler after they returned and pick out the ring she wanted. He took the jeweler's advice and said afterwards he was glad he did because her reaction was to jump up and down and he would have been fretting the entire time that the ring would fly off her finger :D Being as practical as he is she also appreciated the opportunity to pick out the ring herself.

Congratulations to your son and soon to be daughter-in-law. Wherever he proposes, I'm sure it will be memorable.