...If Carnival Does Not Sell What You DrinK?

texas greeneyes

Uh, no it isn't. There used to be a retired ATF agent that went on a group cruise I go on. He ears really perked up when he heard me talking about smuggling and they he went back to sleep after he learned it was alcohol. You are only breaking Carnival rules, not any laws.

You are 100% correct.

Smuggling booze onto the cruise ship is not breaking any Federal, California, Texas, New Orleans, or Florida law, as you have already paid all relevant taxes.

Buying booze in port and trying to bring it back into the US without paying duty is a whole different matter.

The easiest solution to the whole liquor situation is to raise all cruise prices by appx $150 - 200 per person and let everyone bring anything they want. If the smugglers weren't so cheap the issue would never arise.
Ditto X10 I could not agree more. I have been flamed on this subject before and I do not care. Stay home and watch caribbean video's with your bottle of booze.

I've seen the many threads that discuss alcohol policy, but I don't recall this particular subject. I happen to greatly prefer a spirit that is difficult to find, and it is definitely not available on Carnival ships. :(

It is forbidden by Carnival policy for me to bring my drink of choice onboard. Yet, I can't buy it from them, even if I want to. I, like (dare I say) most people, will be likely to spend more, gamble more, etc if I've had a couple of drinks. Seems like Carnival is shooting itself in the foot by forbidding me to bring my own aboard. :confused:

Perhaps, as a happy medium, they would consider allowing passengers to bring aboard brands that are unavailable for sale on their ships, for a reasonable "per bottle" fee. That way,those like me would be permitted to pick their poison ;) while not resorting to smuggling, and CCL would still see some $$$ out of the deal.

Thoughts, anyone?

What are you drinking? Absinthe? Punt e Mes?

"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder"

BnB

The cruiseline bar prices are in line with land bars of similar style. But the price does not determine theft, its the act. And stealing IS stealing. Wether you want to admit it or not, or whatever justification you use to excuse yourself. It is still theft and you know it.

And that is my last word AND the truth of the matter.

Dan

you are very anal and are very unrealistic and hope i never have to have your company and i plan to bring a whole suitcase of beer and liqour on board and hope i beat carnival and rccl out of a few thousand this year alone and thats my last word AND THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER.

you are very anal and are very unrealistic and hope i never have to have your company and i plan to bring a whole suitcase of beer and liqour on board and hope i beat carnival and rccl out of a few thousand this year alone and thats my last word AND THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER.

RIGHT ON!!:D :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by zqvol

The easiest solution to the whole liquor situation is to raise all cruise prices by appx $150 - 200 per person and let everyone bring anything they want. If the smugglers weren't so cheap the issue would never arise.

The easiest soloution would be to open the ships liquor store like the good old days. We still spent plenty while doing things around the ship.

If I have a few in my hotel room prior to going down to the bar, is that stealing? Like many others here, I'm not cheap either. On my first cruise with Carnival the S&S card was optional - you could, and we did, pay cash at the bars (and we paid lots!) But we also had booze in our room. At the end of the week my S&S account was still $500, and that's 15 years ago! What's the big deal?

I wonder how many bring their own popcorn and treats to the movies. Or drink booze they smuggled onto an airplane (which is illegal).

If you must smuggle, at least double wrap in your jeans to protect.

Not to the movies, but yeah, to my hotel room.

Saying I can't is a extremely cheap and stupid attempt at making a rule.

Most people know what rules aren't fair or don't make sense.

Most people know when thats so, and go over the speed limit at times. (But we eventually get stuck behind the jerk doing the speed limit in the left lane anyway).

Hi Texas, I guess it won't help at this point but just to let you know, all liquor stores in Canada are not 'state run'. Each province has it's own laws. Yes, Ontario's is 'provincially run' (incidentally the largest purchaser of alcohol in the world). But Quebec and Alberta for example are private (you can buy it at the corner store). I'm not sure about the other provinces off hand...

Just an FYI... Cheers and happy cruising!

Taraandsean,

Thank you for your near hysterical posting. The conscience, when its guilt is so bluntly stated, reacts savagely. Not surprising, just sad.

Your post confirms your feeling of guilt, while my analness may or may not be true. I do wish to comment on" unrealistic." I'm not, I fully realize that many smuggle booze on board. And I couldn't care less, if somebody asked me to smuccle some for them, then I would care. If I was asked to join someone in having a drink of their smuggled booze, I would be sociable and join them. But I would acknowledge to myself that I was then stealing from the cruiseline. I wouldn't be bothered by it, or guilty about it, or even think about it for more than a few nanoseconds. But I would have known I was stealing.

Some other comments needed:

1.No laws being broken.

2.Taking booze to hotel room.

3.Taking colas, water, sport drinks on board.

4.Taking wine on board.

Easy ones first, #4. Until recently wine was allowed to be brought on board. I've read that the rules have changed but I don't know the new rules.

#3. Up to 3-4 years ago, non-alcoholic drinks were simply allowed. Now a "reasonable" quanity of same is still allowed.

#2. I've never known or stayed in a hotel that did not allow booze in your room. Try taking your own booze into their bar and see how they react to that.

#1. In my initial post, I never claimed any civic laws were being broken. Obvious moral law but no claims of civic law. But on rethinking the civic law, yes, almost certainly, a considerable number of laws are probably broken.

Our United States have a hodgr podge of insane liquor laws. Difficult to do anything with hard liquor that doesn't violate some booze law. For instance, in Fl. its against the law to take hard liquor into a place that serves hard liquor. While the ship is tied to the dock, that probably applies.

Also, for more than the last 30 years[maybe more than the last 50 years] between town, city, county, state, and federal lawmakers, over 30,000 new laws have been passed EACH YEAR. That's 900,000 plus new laws on top of a large number of old laws. A zealous prosecuter could find a dozen or more to make a charge, and a defense attorney would contest any and all of them.

And then there is Maritime Law. Would they have a law covering this? Don't know, not a lawyer.

Is any law being broken that is going to grab the attention of a law enforcement officer. Most likely not, that does not mean none is being broken.

As I said earlier, I couldn't care less what anybody else does. But if one would say that they know they're stealing from the cruiseline and they don't care. OK, I can respect that. But for someone to be a theif, deny it and call me names, I don't respect that because I'm right and you're wrong.

And yes, I should not have come back on this thread.

Dan

So let me get this straight Dan, if I drink my booze in my cabin (i.e. hotel room) I'm not stealing? Excellent! Because that is what I've always done. You seem to have a big issue with people failing to acknowledge that they are stealing (in your esteemed opinion - which is the final word as I understand it)

Well I just want you to know that I am so relieved that I have satified your little litmus test. I wouldn't sleep at night otherwise.

Cheers!

Gee, you didn't get it straight.

If you drink your carried in booze in your hotel room where there is no rule against it, that's not stealing.

If you drink your smuggled on booze in your cabin or anywhere else on the ship, when the cruiseline has well defined rules against BYOB, that's stealing.

Then you have to admit to your scoffrule, and you're OK. You don't need to be remorseful or guilt ridden and its not confession. Just acknowledge you're stealing by ignoring the cruiselines rules and drink up.

And yes my word is the final authority. Whaaat, did you think yours was? Nevah. What cheek!

The Moral Authority

Dan

Dan, I don't know... stealing is taking something that doesn't belong to you. When I bring wine... or lets say some liquor not served by the ship, I wouldn't buy any other choice from them anyway... So I'm not cutting in their profits, just bringing my own choice. (and yes I bring several bottles of fingerlake wines). Am I breaking the rules... yes. But not stealing... they wouldn't have gotten my $$ anyway.... they do however get quite a bit from my beer loving hubby... who does not smuggle. THE OP stated the ship didn't serve her preference. I'm not seeing a thief running amuck here;) .

Not saying you can't, not saying you shouldn't - but if you smuggle booze on board you are guilty of breach of contract. Period.

Wearing jeans on formal or any other night in the main dining room(s), isn't.

True!

FTLOG! The horse is DEAD!! :rolleyes: You've posted the same thing over and over again, I haven't seen one person ask, or even mention jeans being a breach of contract. It's a school day tomorrow Zy, go get some sleep :p

FTLOG! The horse is DEAD!! :rolleyes: You've posted the same thing over and over again, I haven't seen one person ask, or even mention jeans being a breach of contract. It's a school day tomorrow Zy, go get some sleep :p

In your dreams. Get some sleep GC - or pass out - whichever comes first. :rolleyes:

Archived