Foggy weather - loud horn, specifically for Explorer of the Seas Panoramic View room?

mleng

My family will be on a cruise to Alaska on Explorer of the Seas in mid August. We will be in room 1864 and 1866, the Panoramic Oceaview rooms above the bridge. There have been plenty of reviews about the size and view of the rooms, but I want to specifically ask about the noise from the ship's horn. I read one post from somebody several years ago that the ship's horn was right above the rooms and it went off in the middle of the night.

Based on my research, it seems that the horn only goes off when there is fog. So I have two questions:

1. How often is foggy weather in Alaska in August, especially at night?

2. Anybody who has been on EOS to Alaska and has been in one of these rooms on Deck 12, have you experienced the loud fog horn right outside your room?

Some members of my family suffer from insomnia, that's why noise is a huge issue for us.

Certainly there can be fog in Alaska and there is no way to predict any weather in August. . Any outside/balcony cabin is probably going to hear it. Are you thinking volume is going to make a difference with the light sleepers? I would suspect any volume is going to disrupt. So, I would suggest bringing earplugs.

Fog doesn't happen every cruise.

Hi budget queen, if the fog horn is right outside the room, no earplug is going to block that. I am debating if we should give up the Panoramic rooms and switch to something on lower deck and near the aft. That's why I am hoping to hear from somebody who was in one of these rooms and actually heard the horn going off in the middle of the night.