5 Day w/ Balcony or 7 Day w/ Interior

cruiser20145

I feel like I definitely need to have some type of window (I am very claustrophobic). However, I don't think the balcony will effect the experience or enjoyment of the cruise. I'm not the kind of person to sleep the day away, so that doesn't appeal to me.

If you feel you need a window, then why have you been asking about an interior? Other people's thoughts and experiences aren't really going to help you because everyone has different priorities for a room.

If your gut tells you that you need a window, you really need to be comparing OV to balcony to make the best decision. Our kids travel in an interior across the hall - one of whom is a naturally early riser and inevitably, he is still asleep when we try to get him for breakfast. Those rooms are pitch black and he does not wake naturally as he does at home. His older brother who is a night owl absolutely loves the darkness.

If you feel you need a window, then why have you been asking about an interior? Other people's thoughts and experiences aren't really going to help you because everyone has different priorities for a room.

If your gut tells you that you need a window, you really need to be comparing OV to balcony to make the best decision. Our kids travel in an interior across the hall - one of whom is a naturally early riser and inevitably, he is still asleep when we try to get him for breakfast. Those rooms are pitch black and he does not wake naturally as he does at home. His older brother who is a night owl absolutely loves the darkness.

Something just doesn't settle right with me about staying that low in the ship. I know it's an irrational fear, but it just doesn't make me feel comfortable. I have been giving it some thought, and realizing that I need some type of window.

Something just doesn't settle right with me about staying that low in the ship. I know it's an irrational fear, but it just doesn't make me feel comfortable. I have been giving it some thought, and realizing that I need some type of window.

Then go with your gut. The reason I said balcony initially is I fear that someone will book an inside "to have a longer vacation" and then be miserable because they get sea sick, hate the darkness, have claustrophobic feelings etc. After traveling in a balcony for several trips, we decided to try an OV because the Fantasy did not have balconies and we wanted to sail from Charleston (no airfare for 5) at the time. DH and I both hated it. There was no couch. We couldn't get fresh air. And so anytime we wanted to relax, we had to find a public deck - which was then limited to indoors because cruising from Charleston in March is not conducive to sunbathing. It is our worst cruise to date - because we were not happy with our room. But for others, room choice doesn't matter - they spend all their time on the Lido or Serenity and only go there to shower and sleep, so I get it. But that is not our cruising style where we want privacy and to relax so the balcony becomes a necessity.

The only issue I have had with being "low" on a ship is in a cove balcony. We really enjoyed things about the balcony, but did not like being low because there was tons of hull noise with the waves in anything but totally calm seas. For us, we prefer aft around deck 7, squeezed in between passenger decks because it is quiet and private. But as you can see, there are many that prefer high and front on the Lido for convenience, mid-ship because they feel less motion there (we actually think aft has less).

So my advice is trust your instincts on this one.

Random thought: have you look at the western mexico cruises out of LA? They often have cheaper prices that Caribbean, and I am guessing your airfare would be good from Chicago.

Then go with your gut. The reason I said balcony initially is I fear that someone will book an inside "to have a longer vacation" and then be miserable because they get sea sick, hate the darkness, have claustrophobic feelings etc. After traveling in a balcony for several trips, we decided to try an OV because the Fantasy did not have balconies and we wanted to sail from Charleston (no airfare for 5) at the time. DH and I both hated it. There was no couch. We couldn't get fresh air. And so anytime we wanted to relax, we had to find a public deck - which was then limited to indoors because cruising from Charleston in March is not conducive to sunbathing. It is our worst cruise to date - because we were not happy with our room. But for others, room choice doesn't matter - they spend all their time on the Lido or Serenity and only go there to shower and sleep, so I get it. But that is not our cruising style where we want privacy and to relax so the balcony becomes a necessity.

The only issue I have had with being "low" on a ship is in a cove balcony. We really enjoyed things about the balcony, but did not like being low because there was tons of hull noise with the waves in anything but totally calm seas. For us, we prefer aft around deck 7, squeezed in between passenger decks because it is quiet and private. But as you can see, there are many that prefer high and front on the Lido for convenience, mid-ship because they feel less motion there (we actually think aft has less).

So my advice is trust your instincts on this one.

Random thought: have you look at the western mexico cruises out of LA? They often have cheaper prices that Caribbean, and I am guessing your airfare would be good from Chicago.

I totally get what you are saying about having that private space! We vacationed once at an AI in Mexico, and had a beautiful outdoor space that we (I) used quite often. I am looking at a bowling alley balcony on Valor, but the only ones left are on deck 6 (all of them are left). I'll look into the Mexican Riviera.

Decks 1 and 2 are my favorite. You don’t get any hull noise unless you’re at the very front like the 1As or porthole cabins (I’m talking about Conquest Class ships here). Also OV cabins do have sofas - not to be confused with 4Js which are insides with walkway views and those do not.

The decks are very quiet and you don’t seem to have the hustle and bustle of the higher floors. Maybe because there aren’t any balconies so people aren’t in and out of their cabins as often, not really sure. It’s super convenient to be going the opposite way of traffic like for dinner. Everyone is clamoring to go down, and I very easily walk up 1 or 2 decks. No muss, no fuss. Same after I eat. I walk down when everyone is pushing to go up. Also great for getting back on at port. Take the stairs and you’re back home in no time flat. Yes you are farther from things, but I get my exercise in and I haven’t experienced heat long of a wait for elevators down low, either unlike when I’m higher up. And if you’re on 5 and can’t get an elevator, it’s super easy to take the steps down.

Also if you are prone to seasickness down low and midship is the best place to be. Plenty of people don’t have issues up high/forward/back, but plenty of them do. It’s no fun to be nauseous. While I enjoyed the convenience of my cabins on Lido, I still prefer Decks 1 and 2 for quietness and ease of getting on and off at port.

I have only ever done interiors. My motto is, you can't miss what you've never had. Had a porthole once, and watching the water move made me a little sick so have stuck with interiors since then.

I don't plan on booking a balcony until we book an Alaska cruise, whenever that may happen.

So very often, balcs are wasted in Alaska. The 'old salts' will tell you not to. As an example, our two sea days either involved gale force winds or steady rain, making one's balc totally unusable. And that's pretty typical. Things like Glacier Bay are done best from top deck.

I’d definitely look at SW to Orlando and Fort Lauderdale when the calendar is released. Especially from Chicago Midway...

How are the actual price of cruises out of there compared to Galveston? I wish there were cheaper options for Houston to Galveston (like with Orlando to Port Canaveral). :rolleyes:

Crazy thing about that 6 day on the Magic? The cheapest rooms for four passengers was a balcony! OV and interior were more money!

Mom, we fly from the same airports to the same ports you do. Galveston is fine. Fly into Hobby and stay near the airport. Grab a shuttle in the morning. It's actually quite similar to flying into MCO from a 'distance to port' perspective. You can find tons of info in the CC Homeports section. The only limiting factor are the available itineraries. So when flying to FLA's east coast, we generally sail east.

I've yet to sail out of New Orleans but that's on the list. And don't forget to look at San Juan. I've seen $158 out of MKE recently.

I totally get what you are saying about having that private space! We vacationed once at an AI in Mexico, and had a beautiful outdoor space that we (I) used quite often. I am looking at a bowling alley balcony on Valor, but the only ones left are on deck 6 (all of them are left). I'll look into the Mexican Riviera.

Deck 6 should not be bad on Valor. The promenade is below you - so just make sure there isn't a dance club or piano club directly below - don't want that late night noise. Deck 7 is cabins so no issue there.

Deck 6 should not be bad on Valor. The promenade is below you - so just make sure there isn't a dance club or piano club directly below - don't want that late night noise. Deck 7 is cabins so no issue there.

Those cabins are over the Piano Bar or over the Paris Hot Lounge. I know not to stay over the Piano Bar, but does anything happen in the Paris Hot Lounge late at night?

I have been on 6 cruises. 5 of them have been oceanview, 1 was inside and I DIDN'T enjoy it. I spent a lot of time on deck that trip because I wanted to see the water. I prefer to have a room with a view. I've yet to have a balcony so my vote would be for the 5 day with balcony or 7 day with OV (even though it wasn't an option).

Out of 37 cruises with all lines we had 8 balcony , 2 OV and 27 insides.

No matter what accommodations we had we spent most of the outside of our cabin. We are on cruise to be outside, and with more and more cruises we just confirmed our preferences.

And of course the longer cruise the better. We won’t even consider 5 dayer unless it’s something special like Independence Day cruise on Queen Mary 2 last year.

Those cabins are over the Piano Bar or over the Paris Hot Lounge. I know not to stay over the Piano Bar, but does anything happen in the Paris Hot Lounge late at night?

Carnival website is down for me. If you really want specific information do a search for recent fun times for Valor and you can see what is scheduled there each night. It has been a decade since I have been on Valor so don't remember location specifically. But if it is the large aft lounge, that is where they do comedy (last show 11:30 ish), most likely. If it is one of the smaller ones, it is probably karaoke.

Out of 37 cruises with all lines we had 8 balcony , 2 OV and 27 insides.

No matter what accommodations we had we spent most of the outside of our cabin. We are on cruise to be outside, and with more and more cruises we just confirmed our preferences.

And of course the longer cruise the better. We won’t even consider 5 dayer unless it’s something special like Independence Day cruise on Queen Mary 2 last year.

Have you done any Obstructed OVs? While folks upstairs had paid $2,500 PP for their unusable Alaska Balcs, we paid $349 PP for our view over the lifeboat to 'check the weather' last month. It felt like we were stealing.

7 day would be my choice. I always take my daughter on a cruise for her birthday which is in December. At the beginning of 2017 money was a little tight so I booked a 1A on deck 2 of the Magic for the week before Christmas since my daughter lived in Orlando at the time and she doesn't mind sleeping on the top bunk. On the morning of the cruise at 7:15 as I had one eye open just enough to make my way to the coffee pot my phone rang. It was Carnival, asking if I would be interested in moving to a balcony cabin on deck 8. Of course my first question was HOW MUCH. The upgrade fairy said NO additional charge. After I got over the shock of being offered a free upgrade I said yes. Biggest mistake I ever made. The cabin stewardess was the worst I've ever had in over 40 Carnival cruises and our neighbors on one side were loud and obnoxious out on the balcony late at night the entire week. We still had a good time but from now on I will stick to my inside cabins.

Not sure why some people feel the need to comment on peoples budgets.

Some people have a lot of money to throw around and some are on very tight budgets. Doesn't mean the tighter budget cant vacation how they can want/afford.

There is no one set of rules for budgeting for vacations.

Because budget is a big factor for many people.

A couple of key questions may help you decide: How important is the private balcony experience to the total enjoyment of the cruise vs more days, activities, and ports? Do you suffer from claustrophobia or really need natural light to sleep and wake well? (If so you will be miserable in an interior). If natural light is the only consideration, check out the price of an Ocean View on the longer cruise (You may find an obstructed view one that is cheaper but still provides light) even a port hole (These will be listed in the Interior choices but will be clearly listed as Port Hole). Another interior choice that provides natural light is one with a window that looks out on a deck (these are also clearly listed) We have never tried this particular type of cabin, but it may work for you.

Since this post we have upgraded from a Main deck PH to a 4J (The interior with window overlooking deck) on the Lido deck. Will see how we like it.

Have you done any Obstructed OVs? While folks upstairs had paid $2,500 PP for their unusable Alaska Balcs, we paid $349 PP for our view over the lifeboat to 'check the weather' last month. It felt like we were stealing.
Not with Carnival.

But we really don't need a window. In short time that we spend in our cabin (mostly sleeping or changing clothes) we use ships camera channel to determine weather or if sun is up.