5 Day w/ Balcony or 7 Day w/ Interior

cruiser20145

You don’t need a balcony for that. Plenty of robe wearers up on deck with the same idea.
Understand and to each his own, I just dont think that's a good look. I'm kinda old fashion, certain things you just don't wear or do in public

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I would go with the 7 day, and try to get an interior on the Lido deck. We used to get balconies all the time, then we tried an interior on the Lido and haven’t looked back—-we don’t even miss the balcony. Although everyone’s preference is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What deck would that be. New to cruising and want to be sure I pick a good room

I would go with the 7 day. To me it’s about the destinations you get to see, we did a 7 day interior cruise to Alaska and have no regrets at all. You’re going to visit 3 countries in 7 days if you go with the interior one, that’s pretty awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What deck would that be. New to cruising and want to be sure I pick a good room

Lido is Deck 9 but stay away from right around the Atrium as the band plays down there until like midnight and it can get very loud to where you can even hear it in your cabin. Also make sure there are cabins above you or you can hear them moving deck chairs in the middle of the night to clean.

Deck 7 is a very safe deck as cabins are both above and below you so you don’t have to worry. Same thing about the Atrium, though.

I am EXTREMELY claustrophobic and have zero issues in an inside. I hate elevators and can’t even hardly close the bathroom door on the ship. Best sleep you’ll ever get.

We leave the bathroom light on during the night with door closed and it works great as a nightlite

In case you're not keeping score.....17-4, make that 18-4 with my 7 day interior vote. And besides, you have never cruised before, so it is kinda tough to give an honest opinion of the comparison of a 5 day balcony versus a 7 day interior. Hopefully you'll enjoy those 5 days with your DH so that you'll book a longer one next time.

Did not realize this was a competition. I had the same dilemma as the OP...5 day or 7 day. Where’s the dishonesty in sharing that A) I’m a new cruiser and B) What I chose and C) Why I chose it. Unless, of course, you are one of those old time CCers with thousands of posts, who feel that us “newbies” have nothing to offer here...

We leave the bathroom light on during the night with door closed and it works great as a nightlite

That is a great idea and my mom does it. There’s just a big enough gap at the bottom of the door to shine through making it easier to see. I like it as dark as I can get.

What would you choose? I can't afford the balcony on the 7 Day. The 5 Day is on the Valor, going to Progresso and Cozumel. The 7 Day is on the Freedom going to Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. With airfare, they are $28 different. What would you choose?

Edit: There are no interiors with Walkway on the 7 Day left...

Add me as another that would do a 7 day over a 5 day...in almost any cabin type!! Regarding those 4J cabins, or the interior with walkway view, those are our "go to cabins". Those do book rather quickly, but we usually book early enough to get into one. On a couple of cruises we were not able to get into a 4J, but what we did is we booked interiors as far forward as we could to be closer to the doors heading out to the forward deck...the views out there can't be beat..mostly. The window is nice in the 4J's, but access to the forward deck is what sells us on the 4J's..but being near the access to the forward deck...kind of a good compromise for us.

Did not realize this was a competition. I had the same dilemma as the OP...5 day or 7 day. Where’s the dishonesty in sharing that A) I’m a new cruiser and B) What I chose and C) Why I chose it. Unless, of course, you are one of those old time CCers with thousands of posts, who feel that us “newbies” have nothing to offer here...

A 5 day is good to make sure you like cruising but I have a feeling you will love it! You may also find that as you do it more, the cabin becomes less important. At least it was that way for me. I always had to have a balcony and no one could convince me otherwise until Glory came to Norfolk and the prices were sky high so we got an OV. Loved it. Then we got 2 cabins on Conquest - an OV and inside across the hall for the kids. Thought there’s no way I could stay in an inside being claustrophobic and all. Convinced myself to give it a try for about 30 min and I felt fine. Haven’t looked back since. If I can get a really good deal on an OV I’ll take it, but won’t even consider a balcony on Carnival anymore with all the balcony door slammers. Drives me mad. I actually turned down a free upgrade to a balcony because I preferred my OV.

Have a great first cruise and I think you’ll come to see why so many of us long time cruisers would pick more days with better ports over a cabin any day. But you’ll have to determine what works for you on your own. Nothing wrong in sharing your thoughts and feelings.

A 5 day is good to make sure you like cruising but I have a feeling you will love it! You may also find that as you do it more, the cabin becomes less important. At least it was that way for me. I always had to have a balcony and no one could convince me otherwise until Glory came to Norfolk and the prices were sky high so we got an OV. Loved it. Then we got 2 cabins on Conquest - an OV and inside across the hall for the kids. Thought there’s no way I could stay in an inside being claustrophobic and all. Convinced myself to give it a try for about 30 min and I felt fine. Haven’t looked back since. If I can get a really good deal on an OV I’ll take it, but won’t even consider a balcony on Carnival anymore with all the balcony door slammers. Drives me mad. I actually turned down a free upgrade to a balcony because I preferred my OV.

Have a great first cruise and I think you’ll come to see why so many of us long time cruisers would pick more days with better ports over a cabin any day. But you’ll have to determine what works for you on your own. Nothing wrong in sharing your thoughts and feelings.

Thank you FiremanBobsWife! We are really excited and plan to have a fabulous time come heck or high water!

Thank you FiremanBobsWife! We are really excited and plan to have a fabulous time come heck or high water!

You’re welcome and I’m sure you will! It would take an awful lot for me to have a bad cruise. Honestly I would be happy in a room stewards closet as long as I’m on the ship. Be prepared to get addicted! [emoji3]

For us it would be the 5 day. We want that balcony and spend a lot of time on it.

But, I am concerned that if budget is this tight, maybe a cruise is not the right thing in the cards right now. The cost difference between a 5 and 7 day can't be more than a few hundred per person - if it is, then that cruise is not priced well to begin with.

Keep in mind in your budgeting that with the 7 day, you have approx $50 more in tips and likely extra costs for shore excursions.

You’re welcome and I’m sure you will! It would take an awful lot for me to have a bad cruise. Honestly I would be happy in a room stewards closet as long as I’m on the ship. Be prepared to get addicted! [emoji3]

LOL! I’ve already created a monster. Since I surprised my introverted, highly conservative in everything, military husband...amazon packages have been arriving often. He’s purchased shirts with cute anchors & sailboats on them, a Cuban sun hat, a “sea day” shirt, a new water camera, etc. We haven’t even cruised yet but he’s already coming out of his shell! Totally worth it!!!!

LOL! I’ve already created a monster. Since I surprised my introverted, highly conservative in everything, military husband...amazon packages have been arriving often. He’s purchased shirts with cute anchors & sailboats on them, a Cuban sun hat, a “sea day” shirt, a new water camera, etc. We haven’t even cruised yet but he’s already coming out of his shell! Totally worth it!!!!

That’s hilarious! Please thank him for his service from me. My ex was prior Navy Enlisted and went into the Air Force as an officer, then retired after his 20 years was up. He didn’t think he would like a cruise since he spent a lot of time on an aircraft carrier. Once I convinced him it was totally different, he tried it and had a great time.

The total is 20-5 (thanks to the person who started the count) for the interior. To the person concerned about my finances, I don't wan't to spend $700 more for the balcony on the 7 Day. Yes, I am a penny pincher, and no, I won't be removing gratuities. We have been to Mexico before on land vacation, so Mr. Sancho's in Cozumel. Free beach in Roatan,, and a Carnival excursion in Belize.

For us it would be the 5 day. We want that balcony and spend a lot of time on it.

But, I am concerned that if budget is this tight, maybe a cruise is not the right thing in the cards right now. The cost difference between a 5 and 7 day can't be more than a few hundred per person - if it is, then that cruise is not priced well to begin with.

Keep in mind in your budgeting that with the 7 day, you have approx $50 more in tips and likely extra costs for shore excursions.

Not sure why some people feel the need to comment on peoples budgets.

Some people have a lot of money to throw around and some are on very tight budgets. Doesn't mean the tighter budget cant vacation how they can want/afford.

There is no one set of rules for budgeting for vacations.

What would you choose? I can't afford the balcony on the 7 Day. The 5 Day is on the Valor, going to Progresso and Cozumel. The 7 Day is on the Freedom going to Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. With airfare, they are $28 different. What would you choose?

Edit: There are no interiors with Walkway on the 7 Day left...

We never cruise inside,but could if it was a port heavy cruise like out of Puerto Rico!

The west cruise with Belize is like a 3 port cruise, hate Belize!

When looking at cruise options , we always look at the total cost of the vacation . Yes a balcony will cost more but airfare is always a ridiculously high % of the total cost . We always do what we can to lower the air part of the trip . That may mean non-direct , flying on a different day or from a different airport or with a no-frills airline . One cruise from Puerto Rico, to save $'s, our return flight had an 11 hour layover . We stayed at a nice airport hotel and still saved over 400 including the cost of the hotel .

There are also the saving you can make by reducing onboard spending .

This is a long winded way of asking if you can swing a 7 day balcony by saving money somewhere else . That's what we do .

Edited by richstowe

When looking at cruise options , we always look at the total cost of the vacation . Yes a balcony will cost more but airfare is always a ridiculously high % of the total cost . We always do what we can to lower the air part of the trip . That may mean non-direct , flying on a different day or from a different airport or with a no-frills airline . One cruise to save $'s, our return flight had a 11 hour layover . We stayed at a nice airport hotel and still saved over 400 including the cost of the hotel .

There are also the saving you can make by reducing onboard spending .

This is a long winded way of asking if you can swing a 7 day balcony by saving money somewhere else . That's what we do .

The $28 difference between the two cruises is with airfare. Any other tips for reducing costs to afford the balcony? I'd love it, but not placing it over two more days of vacation.

Not sure why some people feel the need to comment on peoples budgets.

Some people have a lot of money to throw around and some are on very tight budgets. Doesn't mean the tighter budget cant vacation how they can want/afford.

There is no one set of rules for budgeting for vacations.[/

Because the OP asked for help and there are frequent posters on here who book cruises and then are in disaster mode because for some reason it gets cancelled and then they don't have other money to go on vacation because they either neglected to buy insurance, or the insurance funds won't come in or time. Also, we have all also seen people remove tips (I know the OP already indicated that he/she would not) because they did not plan their finances well for the trip. I was just trying to make sure the OP was aware of all that was involved here.

I never understand why, when someone is trying to be helpful, others wish to attribute the worst motives! Nor have I ever understood why someone would be offended about discussing finances. Yes, certain people are going to have more - but there does come a time when taking a vacation is not a financially smart thing for someone to do.

In this case, the OP said it was $700 more for 2 more days on a balcony. THAT tells me that this is NOT a well priced cruise to begin with and perhaps they could have both - a 7 days cruise AND a balcony if they shopped around a little more. So my advice to the OP is now to do just that!