How do you keep in contact with family on board?

jimc_usa

When travelling with our extended family we choose a table on the Lido deck - usually just under the over hang. This table becomes "home base" - the kids can usually find at least one adult there.

They come and go from the table and we all help keep track of who went where. Sometimes the grandparents are there reading a book - sometimes the kids are there playing cards. Basically we all know that we can find at least some of our group there.

Before and after events you can usually hear someome say..."meet you at the table".

It works well for us...no walkie talkies or cellphones needed.

If your child is so small that you can't trust them on the ship they need to be with you or in camp Carnival. Walkie talkies and cell phones have become America's latest way to be rude. THere is no excuse for carrying on a converstion where the world can hear it.

I was at the gym today and had to listen to a guy talk on the phone about bipolar disorder while I showered and dressed. There is no excuse for it except to say it is rude. In fact it is more rude than wearing a bathing suit to dinner on formal night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Generally, it's not the teen that the parent feels can't be trusted, it's the other people whom you need to watch out for.

Generally, it's not the teen that the parent feels can't be trusted, it's the other people whom you need to watch out for.

Well said! When your family members are scattered about with 2,000 other people and they need to talk to me for a MINUTE or vice versa, that's when it comes in handy, and it's not to just keep track of children, goes for all your family members..WOULDN'T TRAVEL WITHOUT IT, SO THE ONES THAT DON'T LIKE IT TOO BAD!!

If your child is so small that you can't trust them on the ship they need to be with you or in camp Carnival.

They aren't simply just for children/teens....My husband should have had one when we were in Disney World this past March. He got separated from us and we were lost from him for over an hour. Sure would have been nice to have walkies. And, oh by the way...we had set up a "in case we get separated" spot ahead of time!!! Sometimes men just don't listen!!!!

We all met in the same spot at the same time for breakfast every day.

We had the same home base for the pool and pool chairs every day that was not a conjested main pool location (top deck, aft pool). Everyone knew everyday whether we were at sea or under way that is where we would be.

We had dinner together every night.

For port days, the night before at dinner we had a pre-arranged spot to meet at a certain time.

We never once used the room phones or cell phones nor did it occur to us to use walkie talkies.

We had around 35 people I think and 16 of our immediate family.

Also, our cabins were pretty much side by side which helped.

As you can see this is one of those hot topics.

We have been using walkie talkies for the last 5 cruises. Each family has one and we keep up with each other and our kids on board as well as at each port. Can truthfully say never had a complaint yet.

We have heard kids playing with them but they're always on the move so it's not really distracting. I can understand being upset while trying to listen at a show or something like that but never had that experience.

Bring em' with you they're the best way to keep up with everyone. Post Its work but if I want to contact one of my kids I like the Walkie Talkies. And buy those that have multiple channels. They worked about 99% of the time everywhere.

And remember some people are always upset about something. Givens em' something else to do!

Sometimes men just don't listen!!!!

I'm sorry. Did you say something? ;) :D

I usually keep in touch with DW by reaching over and tapping her on the shoulder. Well our cruise IS our little get away to spend time together, so we are usually not to far from one another.

If your child is so small that you can't trust them on the ship they need to be with you or in camp Carnival. Walkie talkies and cell phones have become America's latest way to be rude. THere is no excuse for carrying on a converstion where the world can hear it.

I was at the gym today and had to listen to a guy talk on the phone about bipolar disorder while I showered and dressed. There is no excuse for it except to say it is rude. In fact it is more rude than wearing a bathing suit to dinner on formal night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Op wasn't talking about "small children", they were talking about teens. I don't know many teens that are going to "hang" with their parents for the entire cruise or be in camp carnival. I have a 14 year old daughter and I need to be able to communicate with her at all times and she needs to be able to find me at all times, so we will have walkies. I can promise you one thing, she won't be spending her time trying to have long, drawn out conversations with me on a walkie while were on a cruise...I'll be lucky if we see her at all, except dinner, where she is REQUIRED to be! LOL

They aren't simply just for children/teens....My husband should have had one when we were in Disney World this past March. He got separated from us and we were lost from him for over an hour. Sure would have been nice to have walkies. And, oh by the way...we had set up a "in case we get separated" spot ahead of time!!! Sometimes men just don't listen!!!!

That's hilarious!! I had to laugh because it sounds just like something my DH would do.. As my friend always says...There all the same man, just a different face! LOL ;)

We have Nextel phones with the walkie-talkie feature. We took them on our last cruise and was able to use the walkie-talkie feature. It was great to be able to find each other. No long drawn out conversations, just hi, I'm here, where are you, okay meet me here. Worked great!

Sounds like a great phone. I will definetely have to look into getting one. I've seen lots of people using walkie talkies and thought about buying a set.

Archived