American Empress 9/22/2019 Sailing

Bop

@LEAFEATER

@DiamondDiva

@califsealion

Would any of you have details about the Hells Canyon Jet Boat ride?  Personal experiences?

-Curious if there are any concerns about mobility issues. Using a cane to get about

-any concerns about sea sickness - rapids etc?

you tube shows boats bouncing through fairly large rapids 

-are there restrooms onboard?

I have called the shore excursions company and was told what the ‘description’ says (her words) as she said she had no personal experiences herself.  

You tube appears to show varying types of boats - some without restrooms,  some riding rapids, some stopping at different places than what our descriptions say.  

Sorry to be a pain, but would like to assure others that this is a ‘must do tour’ if possible. 

Thanks, 

We chose not to do this, but others who did, enjoyed it. My memory is that there is a bathroom on board. I don’t think you can plan on smooth ride and could be rocky. 

I think the reason we didn’t was because of the time involved. 

6 hours ago, Buck1949 said:

@LEAFEATER

@DiamondDiva

@califsealion

Would any of you have details about the Hells Canyon Jet Boat ride?  Personal experiences?

-Curious if there are any concerns about mobility issues. Using a cane to get about

-any concerns about sea sickness - rapids etc?

you tube shows boats bouncing through fairly large rapids 

-are there restrooms onboard?

My mom and I did the trip.  My mom loved it.  I got tired of sitting on the boat, it was a little long for me.  You can move around and take photos.  There were no rapids, it was all pretty smooth sailing.  I'm afraid I don't remember if there were any restrooms on the boat.

You take the boat out a ways, then stop.  There were restrooms and maybe snackies at the stop/turnaround place.  We were stopped there a bit and you could walk around there.

It was pretty and scenic, I was apparently feeling fidgetty that day.

3 hours ago, califsealion said:

My mom and I did the trip.  My mom loved it.  I got tired of sitting on the boat, it was a little long for me.  You can move around and take photos.  There were no rapids, it was all pretty smooth sailing.  I'm afraid I don't remember if there were any restrooms on the boat.

You take the boat out a ways, then stop.  There were restrooms and maybe snackies at the stop/turnaround place.  We were stopped there a bit and you could walk around there.

It was pretty and scenic, I was apparently feeling fidgetty that day.

Was the Jet boat a fast type boat (name implies) doing quick turns, etc?  I assume since this is an older crowd this is not the case. 

Like I said - sorry to be a pain but trying to make sure all 4 of us feel comfortable with this tour. 

Thanks, 

Hey Buck,

The lady I spoke with assured me that the ride was smooth and scenery oriented. Friends who recommended the trip are in mid 70's. And loved it. Not any white water rafting trip for sure. No need for fowl weather gear.

Jim

34 minutes ago, Bop said:

Hey Buck,

The lady I spoke with assured me that the ride was smooth and scenery oriented. Friends who recommended the trip are in mid 70's. And loved it. Not any white water rafting trip for sure. No need for fowl weather gear.

Jim

Thanks Jim......

I figured it would most likely be a pretty mellow trip, but seeing videos got my curiosity peaked since many show rapids, and fast boats. I also noticed the tour to be 5 hours total, and noted that a couple of people thought it a bit too long.  Just trying to figure if the boat was worth missing out on the HoHo and sights in Clarkston.  Also trying to determine ‘for sure’ if there are restrooms readily available.  

3 plus weeks to go!

14 minutes ago, Bop said:

Hi All,

WAHOO!!!

Cruise docs just arrived.  All has been revealed.  We even have luggage tags!  Just like the good old days.

Bop 

Oh cool on the cruise documents.  Look forward to getting them when we return to Phoenix after next week.   Haven’t had cruise documents sent to us in the mail since we did our Rhine River Cruise many years ago. 

Edited by Buck1949

1 hour ago, DiamondDiva said:

Enjoy your trips. We are currently on Celebrity Millenium , just leaving the Hubbard Glacier.

Please let us know your thoughts on Empress when you return.

Happy sailing! 

We were on the Millenium last year at about this time.  Took the land tour from Fairbanks down to Seward then took the Millenium to Vancouver.  Great vacation.  Hope you are enjoying it as much as we did.   Got one of the greatest photos I have ever gotten while in Talkeetna.  Will try to post it here. It was just behind our hotel.  (the quality is not as good as the original which was shot in Raw format)

AEA46E1F-07EC-4B5B-BE1F-1C49B2B8C230.jpeg

Edited by Buck1949

Cruise docs arrived yesterday

Have luggage tags, tickets, instructions, etc. Time to start packing list. We travel pretty light now. Usually just a couple of carry one. We used to look like a caravan when we did the tuxedo drill. No more!

Jim

1 hour ago, Bop said:

Have luggage tags, tickets, instructions, etc. Time to start packing list. We travel pretty light now. Usually just a couple of carry one. We used to look like a caravan when we did the tuxedo drill. No more!

Jim

Sure wish I could use just carry on’s   I’m one of those big  guys - heck a pair of jeans weight twice what everyone else’s weigh.  Same problem with everything else I wear it seems.  

I do carry a backpack with my camera gear and electronics in it as my carryon.  Oh well I am used to it now.   We cross pack clothes in each suitcase also since I can not run out to the nearest store and replace my clothes if lost.  

Yep the Big and Tall stores love me !!  Haven’t bought at regular stores since I was in high school.  

Should be a fun cruise tho !

Jim

I am on the big side also. Shoes take up most of the room in a carry on. Bonnie is very small and that averages out pretty well

We will bring a 26", a 22", and a couple of small carry ons.

I think I will bring my SLR and a couple of lenses hoping for som

Jim

Just made airport van transfer reservations at Historic Davenport Hotel as recommended by DD et al.  $25 per room is a good deal.  Thanks!

Now on to the things to pack list and luggage selection.  Have gotten a lot better at packing over the years.  Not worried about "the fashion police" as things have gotten more casual over the years.  Comfort first!  Now debating how much photography gear to pack.  Usually bring just the Canon S95 but that may not produce the great photos like DD's moose and fawns shot.  (hope I got the correct photographer for that great shot)  Hate adding the SLR and lenses to the mix.  Heavy and bulky.  Hope weather is temperate with cool nights.  Will bring layers of course.

More later,

Bop/Jim

29 minutes ago, Bop said:

Just made airport van transfer reservations at Historic Davenport Hotel as recommended by DD et al.  $25 per room is a good deal.  Thanks!

Now on to the things to pack list and luggage selection.  Have gotten a lot better at packing over the years.  Not worried about "the fashion police" as things have gotten more casual over the years.  Comfort first!  Now debating how much photography gear to pack.  Usually bring just the Canon S95 but that may not produce the great photos like DD's moose and fawns shot.  (hope I got the correct photographer for that great shot)  Hate adding the SLR and lenses to the mix.  Heavy and bulky.  Hope weather is temperate with cool nights.  Will bring layers of course.

More later,

Bop/Jim

Oh no !!!! Was so hoping to see you in a dinner Tux Jim !!!   Ha ha.    

I live casual !!  Thus the reason we travel on NCL as much as we can. 

As to cameras - I was carrying a Canon T5i with a Sigma 100/400mm lens which I shot the Moose and babies with in Alaska. (Sold the lens tho as I just was not 100% pleased with it)  But now in addition I have a full frame Canon 6D Mark 2 Camera with 28/300mm Tamron and a 100/600mm lens.  (I’m still learning this Camera).  Unfortunately the 600mm lens is very heavy and is almost too big for my backpack.  I’m trying to decide if I want to keep the T5i Camera now also. 

You don't happen to have a  Tamron 100/400mm lens floating around do you? 😳.😀.  That would be the perfect carry lens for my new camera I think.  

I’ll figure out what Camera stuff to lug around by the time we leave, as I just like fiddling with the gear anyway. 

I have a light weather type rain jacket I will carry along with a windbreaker I pack also. I am a very hot natured person, so many times when my wife is in a sweater and jacket I’m simply in a long sleeved shirt. I’ll be checking the weather to try and pack accordingly up until we leave. 

Take care. 

Yea !!  we have our cruise docs!. (Well our neighbor who is watching our place) has them for us. 

We have also booked 4 premium excursion tours and contemplating a couple of others.  I was told that we could in most cases do a HoHo tour and a Premium tour on same day.  So depending on how tired we may be will help us decide on any additional Premium tours if they are still available while on board.  

Getting interesting, and hoping we really like this cruise - as we might like to try cruising along the Mississippi also !

On 8/23/2019 at 8:23 PM, Buck1949 said:

Was the Jet boat a fast type boat (name implies) doing quick turns, etc?  I assume since this is an older crowd this is not the case. 

Like I said - sorry to be a pain but trying to make sure all 4 of us feel comfortable with this tour. 

Thanks, 

It looks like you got your question answered, but no, no crazy turns or rapids.  It was pretty smooth sailing.  Or jet boating...

Thanks for checking back Califsealion. 

I just noted this happening off the coast of Oregon yesterday.  Did not see much about it so assume it was not a major problem anywhere even tho it appears to be a major quake overall

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A 6.3-magnitude earthquake was recorded Thursday morning in the Pacific Ocean near Oregon, the US Geological Survey reported .

The quake happened around 11:07 a.m. EST about 175 miles west-northwest of the coastal city of Bandon, Oregon, the USGS reported.

There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 weeks and 1 day away for us !!!!

Hi All,

Looks like hurricane Dorian is starting the season off with a bang. Pray for the folks in FL and lots of others who could be affected.  Hopefully Dorian will clear up the atmosphere and allow some interruptions of the east to west currents.  Don't want to have to leave home with a hurricane here or on the way.  Just gave our house sitter a tutorial on hooking up the generator.

The ladies have begun the important task of planning their outfits and the guys have been pondering their "country club casual" wardrobes.  Shirt, pants, shoes, done.  Read thru the tips from all you guys on CC and highlighted our choices. Looking forward to everything and meeting new friends is always fun. Decided to pack my SLR and a couple of lenses.  Also bringing a small point and shoot.  Phone takes pretty good shots too.  I should be covered in case a moose or something shows up.  Hoping Hell's canyon presents photo ops.  Now on to packing.  I'll be the guy with the cameras hanging all over him.

Buck, you still here?

Bop/Jim from VA

3 hours ago, Bop said:

Hi All,

Looks like hurricane Dorian is starting the season off with a bang. Pray for the folks in FL and lots of others who could be affected.  Hopefully Dorian will clear up the atmosphere and allow some interruptions of the east to west currents.  Don't want to have to leave home with a hurricane here or on the way.  Just gave our house sitter a tutorial on hooking up the generator.

The ladies have begun the important task of planning their outfits and the guys have been pondering their "country club casual" wardrobes.  Shirt, pants, shoes, done.  Read thru the tips from all you guys on CC and highlighted our choices. Looking forward to everything and meeting new friends is always fun. Decided to pack my SLR and a couple of lenses.  Also bringing a small point and shoot.  Phone takes pretty good shots too.  I should be covered in case a moose or something shows up.  Hoping Hell's canyon presents photo ops.  Now on to packing.  I'll be the guy with the cameras hanging all over him.

Buck, you still here?

Bop/Jim from VA

Jim, sure hope that the hurricane passes you by without much impact.   We go back to our Phoenix home next Thursday and begin the ‘task’ of what to wear/pack also.  

I too will have a bigger camera, but may only have one (well maybe 2) lens with me.   I’m sure my wife will be bringing her LUMIX point and shoot camera with her also as it has WiFi and she can sync up photos to her iPhone to send back to the family.  My Camera will also sync up with my iPhone/iPad which is nice to be able to send off a photo or 2. 

As to (am I still here?) - look back a few postings as I was afraid I might be talking to myself 😜 these last couple of days.  

Take care, 

Edited by Buck1949