Upgrade cabin, will we lose OBC?

crusing48/51

DH and I are currently booked in a 4K cabin on the Miracle. We are also booked early saver and have had a couple price drops, resulting in on board credit.

My question is, if we decide to upgrade to a balcony guarantee, will we still be considered early saver, and if not, will we lose our on board credit?

Trying to weigh our options. The cruise is a 14 day Panama Canal cruise. We're wondering if we need a balcony, or just go up on deck going through the locks. We have had a 4K before and liked it. This one is between the lifeboats. Don't know how much we'll be able to see, that's why we're considering getting a balcony.

However we may not need one just for the canal. Any opinions are appreciated, as well as answers about the on board credit.

Thanks!!

I enjoyed our balcony on the Miracle on our partial transit in April. I got a lot of good pictures from there BUT I also went up and got a lot of good pictures from up top and on other decks. It takes a few hours to get through the locks so there is time to get pics from most everywhere. I found it fascinating but my wife stayed in the room mostly lol. The running commentary over the loudspeakers was very interesting and informative but I couldn't hear it very well from the balcony. I didn't think to check if it was on one of the tv channels. Could hear it fine from the decks though.

As for early saver - if the ES promotion is still going on you should be able to get it. Depends how close you are to sailing - I assume it stops being early at some point. I have no idea how they handle the OBC but I wouldn't expect to keep it - probably have to put it towards the cost of the upgrade.

The way my PVP explained it to me...once you book early saver you are considered early saver even if you switch to resident rate, then military, then VIFP offer. If you originally book early saver you can switch up to 48 hours before your cruise. However you must abide by the current booking conditions in the new category. If you book ES with $50 OBC and upgrade to the balcony that offers a $50 OBC you'll not lose your OBC If you upgrade and no OBC is offered you will lose your OBC So you just have to decide if the extra cost to upgrade is worth it. Now lets say your cruise is paid in full....let's say you have $200 OBC but it's $300 to upgrade...you lose the OBC and owe $100. It there's a great sale and the upgrade is $50 less you'll get a $50 OBC.

DH and I are currently booked in a 4K cabin on the Miracle. We are also booked early saver and have had a couple price drops, resulting in on board credit.

My question is, if we decide to upgrade to a balcony guarantee, will we still be considered early saver, and if not, will we lose our on board credit?

Trying to weigh our options. The cruise is a 14 day Panama Canal cruise. We're wondering if we need a balcony, or just go up on deck going through the locks. We have had a 4K before and liked it. This one is between the lifeboats. Don't know how much we'll be able to see, that's why we're considering getting a balcony.

However we may not need one just for the canal. Any opinions are appreciated, as well as answers about the on board credit.

Thanks!!

An Early Saver, where "I picked my" cabin, switching to a guarantee cabin is not always considered an upgrade by Carnival, many times it is treated as a cancellation of the ES and a new GTY booking. Once you switch into the TBA cabin bookings you are now locked to that booking at that price and being a GTY booking it goes straight into 100% cancellation penalty, not to mention you will fall out of the Early Saver program for any further price adjustments.

AS to will you lose your previous ES price reduction OBC from the change, all depends on what the GTY booking asking price is at. If the booking price is equal to or lower then there should be no loss of your already received ES-OBC, but it is a tricky transfer of the booking and it would be a good idea to have a PVP not the call center handle the booking change. If the Balcony GTY fare is more than what you have paid Carnival can choose to take the some or all of the OBC away towards cancellation fees and payment on the new booking. Again having a PVP handle the switch with you on the phone is preferable that you have the info as it is happening.

Thanks cru1z1n, mica's grandad, and maryred. I have contacted our PvP but she has not responded to my email.

we will stay in our 4k, maybe we'll get more price drops. Will be going on the decks through the canal. DH is more into it than me, wanted a balcony for him, but not necessary.

My guess is you lose it since that booking would be essentially cancelled.

That’s not correct, the booking does not get cancelled when you switch to a room in the same class or above. The just switch the room on your booking.

To the OP: look at it this way. If you paid $1,500 towards a cruise and then price match to a $1,300 rate, you get $200 OBC (the difference).

If you then want to switch to a balcony that’s $2,000, they will apply to $1,500 to the new rate, and you will pay the difference ($500).

You will no longer have OBC because the amount you will now have paid will equal the price of the cabin. When it comes to OBC from price drops, it’s all about what you paid vs the price of the room. You get OBC if you paid more than the rate you are booked under. It’s simple math.

Any OBC obtained from a promotion will also be lost if the current promotions no longer include OBC. Though as I understand it, yours were from price drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just accepted an upgrade offer from Carnival via email from a PH on Main to a Skyview on Lido for an additional $32. We did not lose our OBC.

Yes but receiving an upgrade offer from Carnival is different than changing your booking yourself to a better cabin.

It depends on why you have the OBC. If it's because you have paid off your cruise and price drops gave you OBC you should keep it. If it is because of a deal you got where OBC was included you may lose it. I'm sure if you call and ask they will be able to help you out.