Plumbing Problems at Sea

Sky Sweet

A number of people have posted about plumbing problems that they have experienced aboard a Celebrity Ship, while others have posted about booking a standard sized cabin for three or four people. If a ship's plumbing system is designed to accomodate 1,900 passengers, but there are 2,700 passengers instead, that puts undue strain on its plumbing system.

A number of people have posted about plumbing problems that they have experienced aboard a Celebrity Ship, while others have posted about booking a standard sized cabin for three or four people. If a ship's plumbing system is designed to accomodate 1,900 passengers, but there are 2,700 passengers instead, that puts undue strain on its plumbing system.

OK, and whose fault is it that the ship is booked beyond its designed capacity ?.

:) Good morning,

The '' capacity '' issue can be confusing. The '' official '' capacity, for the industry's reporting purposes ( sich as CLIA) is # staterooms X 2.

i-e: 965 staterooms, capacity 1930.

The '' real world '' capacity is based on total ## of berths/beds available, taking into account suites, triple and quads cabins. Thus, the often quoted reporting load factors of 111 % or 107% , etc.etc... When ALL staterooms are occupied to their fullest potential, a '' 1930 '' official capacity becomes a '' 2375 (approx) '' capacity.

The real world is what the industry uses to design, build and operate their ships, for food/beverage service, hotel service ( such as plumbing),staffing,structural support, etc.etc....

I don't think, imo, that '' plumbing'' problems are the result of '' overcrowding''.

Cheers

CG

I have been on many ships as well as boats of my own that use vacume systems, on occasion they will have a problem when somebody puts things down the toilet that have not passed through their bodies. On the few times that the Celebrity ships have had this problem they have had it rectified within a very short time. I wish that I had been able to fix it as fast on my boats and I am very thankful that I have not been asked to help on the cruise ships.

All in all I have found that the Celebrity crews do a wonderful job of making sure that we have a wonderful time on their ships.

Happy New Year :)

Bob

Believe me the ship's plumbing can hold the number of passengers and no, if the capacity is 1950 they do not put 2700 plus passengers on the ship. Not every cabin can accommodate even 3, must less 4. Even if a cabin has beds for x number the cruise line and this goes for any line will not put x number in every cabin designed to hold that many. yes, sometimes plumbing does back up but Celebrity as well as other lines do a great job keeping the ships in good condition. NMnita

Believe me the ship's plumbing can hold the number of passengers and no, if the capacity is 1950 they do not put 2700 plus passengers on the ship. Not every cabin can accommodate even 3, must less 4. Even if a cabin has beds for x number the cruise line and this goes for any line will not put x number in every cabin designed to hold that many. yes, sometimes plumbing does back up but Celebrity as well as other lines do a great job keeping the ships in good condition.

NMnita

You are absolutely right Nita

Phil

I've had plumbing problems on land so I don't see why one should be concerned if it happens at sea. It's the price we pay for convience. There are countries that don't have plumbing problems but then they don't have plumbing and/or sewers. It's the old what goes in is going to come out saga.

With eating 6 to 8 meals a day on a ship it's expected that some "overload" is going to ocur at some point especially if all 2000+/- go at the same time the system no matter how perfect will become overloaded. Some cruises have more heavy eaters than others. Some are more crowded than others as every berth is filled. It seems to happen less often than more often. You hear about the problems but you never hear the reports of having a no sewer problem week. Remember... you can pick your ship, pick your week to go and where to go but you will never be able to pick the other 2000+/- people going with you that week!

Archived