Norwegian Dining Packages?

racetech

I need some help understanding the specialty dining package. If I were to buy say a 3 meal package, does this mean when I go to dinner and use the package i wont be paying anything for my meal regardless what I order, or is this like a gift card where you have a certain amount towards your meal and you pay the difference over that? Thanks for any help!

Officially at alacart restaurants, it’s one appt, one entree, one dessert - LOTS of people have experience with the limit only being on the entree.

That isn’t quite right.

Officially, the only limit applies to entrees.

Some people have been told by wait staff that there is a limit on other courses, but even in these situations reports of actually being charged are extremely rare (I think two people said they had actually been charged when I specifically asked on here).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need some help understanding the specialty dining package. If I were to buy say a 3 meal package, does this mean when I go to dinner and use the package i wont be paying anything for my meal regardless what I order, or is this like a gift card where you have a certain amount towards your meal and you pay the difference over that? Thanks for any help!

Food: you can order multiple apps, a single entree, multiple desserts. And multiple sides at Cagney’s. There are slightly different definitions at restaurants like Los Lobos who doesn’t really have apps. You won’t pay any more.

Drinks are extra.

So,,, a $75 dinner at Cagney’s Steak House will cost you 1/3 the cost of the dining. Package ($69 / 3 + 20% gratuity = $27.60).

It is a great deal

A few restaurants have an additional upcharge: Ocean Blue, Bayamo, Cirque dinner show.

That isn’t quite right.

Officially, the only limit applies to entrees.

Some people have been told by wait staff that there is a limit on other courses, but even in these situations reports of actually being charged are extremely rare (I think two people said they had actually been charged when I specifically asked on here).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you said something, made me go read the FAQ, they have changed again

"ARE ANY MENU ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

No, all items listed on the menus are included in the package. Additional entrée charges also apply for dining at Cagney's Steakhouse and Le Bistro."

I have a friend who would take that as a challenge to see how much food they would bring him haha

unless you are getting a second entree, you won't have to pay any more.

So,,, a $75 dinner at Cagney’s Steak House will cost you 1/3 the cost of the dining. Package ($69 / 3 + 20% gratuity = $27.60).

It is a great deal

It is indeed a great deal, but it must be pointed out that the above situation is a very extreme example.

Just to give an example (based on the Bliss menus with higher prices), this is what can get in Cagneys for a total of about $75 including gratuity.

Two starters

Soup

The most expensive entree (Surf and Turf)

4 or 5 sides

Two desserts

Personally, we rarely spend more than $30-35 plus tip at Cagneys. For that we get a starter, steak, two or three sides and a dessert. That still makes the dining plan good value, but only very extreme cases are making the sort of savings mentioned above.

Thanks for all the info. What I gather is I will not pay anymore as long as I stick to one entree. Now as far as the tip, I have pre paid gratuities as part of my booking, will I still be responsible for the tip at specialty dining spots?

Thanks for all the info. What I gather is I will not pay anymore as long as I stick to one entree. Now as far as the tip, I have pre paid gratuities as part of my booking, will I still be responsible for the tip at specialty dining spots?

You don't have to tip. You can but it is not required. You already paid the service charge on the SDP whether promo or purchased.

Another small piece of info (that we learned as newer cruisers on NCL) is that some venues, such as Ocean Blue (if there is one on your ship) has an "additional" charge beyond being a choice of a venue on the dining package. You will have to pay an additional $18 pp, even on the Dining Package. If you got there without the "Dining Package" you pay ala carte pricing.....and it is quite pricey, so the $18 may be a fair trade off if you want to try it and use it on the "dining package".

If you have paid the 20% tax on the dining package why would you pay a further tip? Unless of course you are used to tipping 25 or 30% at a restaurant onshore.

If the service is excellent, which it often is in the specialties, I will leave an extra $5 or $10 for the wait staff who made my dinner more enjoyable.