Taking Questions -- Cruise Critic Special Coverage of Hurricane Anniversary

Brittany C

Hello,

I am an editor here at Cruise Critic and I will be heading out a month from today to St. Thomas and St. John -- in addition to Puerto Rico and St. Maarten/Martin -- to report on how the cruise ports are doing nearly one year after Hurricanes Maria and Irma hit. I am only in each port for about three days, but would love to hear comments, questions and suggestions about your favorite shore excursions, restaurants or other special places you've come to discover on a cruise in these destinations. Look forward to reporting back.

Thank you!

Thank you for inviting our questions. We will be visiting here as well as San Juan in Nov/Dec this year. Having been to both in the past, I think the one that still leaves me with the most questions is St Thomas/St John post hurricane.

We loved St John, however I am truly wondering what to expect with all that those poor people went through? What is current status of visiting St John? I seem to read more about taking a sail or cat excursion to snorkel from rather than actually spend the day there?

We also would enjoy just hanging part day at maybe Sapphire and then wandering Charlotte Amalie.

Thanks again. I look forward to your report!

We've just started looking into excursions for our November RC Cruise and we're wondering about St. Peter Greathouse Gardens and Coral World. We were looking to book private excursions or handle transportation ourselves, but am now wondering if booking through the ship might be better in terms of not being caught off guard.

• 1 month later...

Will you be posting a link to your article here? I’m curious to hear if turtle bay near st Thomas has recovered, I’d seen some reviews that suggested the sea life there had been badly impacted by the hurricane.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for inviting our questions. We will be visiting here as well as San Juan in Nov/Dec this year. Having been to both in the past, I think the one that still leaves me with the most questions is St Thomas/St John post hurricane.

We loved St John, however I am truly wondering what to expect with all that those poor people went through? What is current status of visiting St John? I seem to read more about taking a sail or cat excursion to snorkel from rather than actually spend the day there?

We also would enjoy just hanging part day at maybe Sapphire and then wandering Charlotte Amalie.

Thanks again. I look forward to your report!

Hi there!

Just got back from the trip, and will be posting more information in the coming month, but St. John is open for business -- the shops and restaurants of Mongoose Junction are up and running and the ferry is as well, making it an easy trip. Some trails are open in the park, but many are still closed due to fallen trees. You will pass some sad mangroves, but there is still plenty of beauty and beaches!

Sapphire Beach has been revitalized and is great for spending a day. Charlotte Amalie has plenty of restaurants, historic attractions and new attractions for an afternoon -- check out the Shipwreck Museum, it impressed us.

For more on the beaches check out our updated list for St. Thomas and St. John: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1636

The moral being you will still see the tarps or "blue roofs" but the islands are open for business and ready to welcome visitors!

Happy Cruising!

~Brittany Chrusciel, Cruise Critic Editor

We've just started looking into excursions for our November RC Cruise and we're wondering about St. Peter Greathouse Gardens and Coral World. We were looking to book private excursions or handle transportation ourselves, but am now wondering if booking through the ship might be better in terms of not being caught off guard.

Hello!

Thank you for your questions. Good news and bad news: Coral World is open on cruise ship days (by appointment when ships aren't in) and we visited and can attest that it's open and the animals are doing well. Most of the experiences are available, including SeaTrek which reopened when we were in town a week or two ago.

The bad news is St. Peters Gardens remain closed, but Phantasea Tropical Botanical Gardens (near Mountain Top) is open on ship days.

I know ship excursions run to Coral World -- not sure if time is included at Coki Beach next door, which was lively with locals when we visited. Private transportation shouldn't be hard to arrange, but you always assume the risk of missing the ship. Budget time accordingly!

Happy Cruising!

Will you be posting a link to your article here? I’m curious to hear if turtle bay near st Thomas has recovered, I’d seen some reviews that suggested the sea life there had been badly impacted by the hurricane.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi there!

I will be posting a link to the stories when they are live on the site -- looking like two weeks from now. I can't speak to the sea life, but I know Turtle Bay and Water Island continue to be some of the most popular ship excursions from St. Thomas, and it's beautiful out on the water. We only did a little snorkeling at Trunk Bay in St. John but can report that we saw fish and other sealife!

Thank you for your interest and stay tuned for more.

Happy Cruising!

Thank you Brittany. Really terrific to hear this and the link is very helpful. We look forward to our visit! Now the question is, St Johns or main island...such great choices!

Were there many trees remaining at Sapphire?

Glad to hear it! I did not personally visit Sapphire during my time in St. Thomas, but an Adobe crew was there doing a photoshoot, so it must look good. Can't speak to the trees.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...