Zenith secrets?

Guindalf

We sailed on the Zenith Feb 11th & had a wonderful relaxing & restful time. This was our first Celebrity cruise since we've sailed RCCL 11 times. Although I had read this some of the postings here before going, apparently I didn't pay as close attention or other tips were posted after we sailed. We missed some of the great things mentioned here. This afternoon I'm going to make a listing of the great things mentioned here so that I can reference it later.

We will say that the embarkation and debarkation was the best we've ever experienced!

We thought the food was great but not any better than RCCL. I did have some absolutely wonderful omelets for breakfast prepared to order! We had heard about the great service but frankly our cabin steward was the worst we've ever had. He kept forgetting to leave things in our cabin. 3 days before the end of the cruise we couldn't find the blue book in the cabin with all the information & phone numbers. We had glanced at it the first day but then couldn't find it. We spent so much wasted time searching for it. The morning of our departure I said something to our cabin steward (We didn't want to be charged for a missing book.) & he informed us that he had taken it because it was going to be replaced with a new one. He had forgotten to put it back in our cabin. Our trash cans weren't emptied out every day but no big deal - they weren't full (We don't empty them out at home every day either!).

Our phone didn't work in our cabin (Lots of others were having the same problem.). Although it was reported & repaired, a couple of hrs later it didn't work.

The unfortunate thing about our cruise is that the weather was very very cool & very very windy - we had to wear light jackets. So no swimming pool for us. We did try to sit by the pool (in the sunshine) wearing our jackets & used pool towels as blankets. We enjoyed the beautiful weather only wished it could have been warm (In all fairness most of the country was having the worse snow storm in yrs. Since we live in NC, they were having their share of cold weather too!)

We had a great cabin - Deck 6 Oceanview mid-ship. The seas were very rough (folks kept complaining about the rocking and getting sick) but we didn't feel any movement in our cabin. We would highly recommend mid-ship.

I think this cruise was so relaxing & restful because it didn't offer as many activities as many of the other ships do, & we weren't running around trying to do it all. We stayed out late dancing (Chances is a terrific band!) and really enjoyed ourselves. The Zenith is showing its age - looking a bit worn. We love to cruise and we'll ALWAYS have an outstanding cruise on any ship!

We booked the Zenith for a 10-day cruise on Dec 8th out of Tampa. We'll be cruising with some friends & I know we're going to have a GREAT time! We'll then be better able to evaluate her on this longer cruise. In the meantime, we'll be planning for the Dec 8th cruise. If anyone has any advise on Tampa as a departure city (where to stay, (is there a hotel where you can park for free & they provide free transportation to & from the pier like the Radisson on the Port in Port Canaveral), eat, etc.) please let us know.

In the meantime, enjoy the Zenith.

Lynn

Lynn Hubby and I were on your cruise and we are looking at that same cruise that you have booked!

1. One suite on every cruise is left empty. You can win an upgrade to that suite at Bingo on the day after you depart.

2. Club X is located in one of those "white spaces" amidships on the Europa Deck. If you can get an invite, it's a great place to shoot pool (they have regulation table with a gyroscope stabilizer) and play poker all night. It has an open bar too.

Hi, I sailed Zenith on 2/6 and had a wonderful time:) so much so,

I am going back next month:)

She is definitely smaller than the other ships but that didn't matter

to me. The service and crew are simply outstanding:D

Just to let everyone know...

I went to http://www.celebrity.com last night (which I do once a week) and noticed the prices went up again. We booked a CC class cabin for Christmas on the "Zenith" a few months ago. They have had two price increases since. It is now $400.00 more for the same cabin. Checked other cruises and it looked the same way on those.

When I booked several months ago the price was $500.00 less than when we did the same cruise in 2004.

Lynn Hubby and I were on your cruise and we are looking at that same cruise that you have booked!

You won't believe this! that cruise has gone up $100 per person since I posted that-so I doubt I will be on your cruise-we can get the same price for a March 2007 cruise so if we do it we will cruise then. Not sure about it though.

Could you please provide me more detailed info on this - I am in room 9107 for an upcoming cruise and when I contacted the cruise line regarding this "problem" they pretty much blew me off that this was not a problem on noise level in this room from the disco!!

We were in 9109 and I guarantee you there was a problem. We did not know until about midnight when the glasses started rattling on the vanity and the wall were shuddering. We called the desk and housekeeping sent someone up. They gave us a key for another cabin to sleep in. I don't have my book handy but if 9107 is next to 9109 I can tell you they complained too. We got wine, fruit and apologies but the noise level never did ebb even tho they asked the DJ to turn down the volume. If you stay in this cabin take earplugs and/or visit the Martini Bar just before you go to bed (LOL).

I'm on my way out to work but when we booked the Zenith for Dec 8th cruise while onboard (We booked a Cat 5 rate but was given a Cat 4 upgrade due to our Elite status on the Captain's Club) the rate was actually higher than when we transferred it to a TA last wk. I always check with several TA's before I transfer the booking. Also, this TA checks on this system at least once a wk to see if the rates have come down. If so, she'll adjust our booking. If they've gone up, of course our rate is locked in so we won't be paying the higher rate. Also keep in mind when checking on-line, the prices for the different Categories. An Oceanview cabin for example isn't the same price all over the ship.

momofmeg - hope you do get to sail with us in Dec.

Off to work. Hope this helps!

I'm on my way out to work but when we booked the Zenith for Dec 8th cruise while onboard (We booked a Cat 5 rate but was given a Cat 4 upgrade due to our Elite status on the Captain's Club) the rate was actually higher than when we transferred it to a TA last wk. I always check with several TA's before I transfer the booking. Also, this TA checks on this system at least once a wk to see if the rates have come down. If so, she'll adjust our booking. If they've gone up, of course our rate is locked in so we won't be paying the higher rate. Also keep in mind when checking on-line, the prices for the different Categories. An Oceanview cabin for example isn't the same price all over the ship.

momofmeg - hope you do get to sail with us in Dec.

Off to work. Hope this helps!

The reason I would just as soon wait until March is it seems everytime I take a cruise in the winter it becomes unseasonalby cool-and I am like where is the 90 degree weather at? - that we are supposed to be having in the caribbean? As you know since you were on the Feb. 11-there was no swimming, too cool-at least for us anyway . Normally Dec. is when you get the "good rates" as long as you go before Christmas. Often early Dec. rates are better then Sept.-the worse of hurricane season-and usually less expensive-I think it is because a lot of people wait until the kids get out of school before they take vacation around that time.

So anyway March is a good rate-and yes it is a year away-but if we don't get a great rate we may as well wait until we pretty much know the weather will be nice.

This March cruise we are considering iis only $30 a person higher-same ports-I feel the weather will be nicer then-but we have not booked so far. Still throwing around what we want to do. There are some super great rates next month on the Zenith and diff. ports then we did-but hubby says it is too soon. He can't take vacation that soon again.

Momofmeg I just noticed that you were on the Mariner at the same time we were last Oct. We usually go on a cruise in Oct - the weather has always been great.The weather is still warm but not unbearable. We get to go swimming, etc. We've never had a problem with the weather that time of yr & the rates are great due to hurricane season.

As I mentioned before, you might want to call a few TA's & see what kind of rates they can give you for the Dec 8th 10-day Zenith cruise. We'd love to have you join us.

Well, I guess it's time to go to bed.

Lynn

Momofmeg I just noticed that you were on the Mariner at the same time we were last Oct. We usually go on a cruise in Oct - the weather has always been great.The weather is still warm but not unbearable. We get to go swimming, etc. We've never had a problem with the weather that time of yr & the rates are great due to hurricane season.

As I mentioned before, you might want to call a few TA's & see what kind of rates they can give you for the Dec 8th 10-day Zenith cruise. We'd love to have you join us.

Lynn

So we took 2 cruises at the same time? How about that? I like the Zenith much better the the MOS-too many people and not enough good food-as far as I was concerned-although we did have a very nice meal in Chops the last night of the cruise. But that cruise was really for our daugther-the Zenith was for hubby and I. We went with other couples and had a wonderful time. I had steak 3 nights of the 5 and it was just as good as Chops to me.

Online vacation Center sent me an e-mail with super good rates for Dec. 8. I have never used them but they are like $200 less then the cruise agency I normally use-so I guess we could still end up on Zenith then.

We are also looking at a fall cruise on Caribbean Princess-on that cruise our daughter will be with us-but if we do that -not enough vacation time left in 06 for another cruise-especially a 10 day. But if we do that cruise it is for our daughter-not us-she pays her own way now- (grown woman)and she is trying to decide if she can afford it.

We told her we would be willing to do a cheapo old Carnival ship mini curise with her-if that is all she can afford-so we still may do the Celebrity cruise if we do that. (we would not do the cheapo cruise until Jan.) I guess we will make a decison one way or another this next week.

Lynn

So we took 2 cruises at the same time? How about that? I like the Zenith much better the the MOS-too many people and not enough good food-as far as I was concerned-although we did have a very nice meal in Chops the last night of the cruise. But that cruise was really for our daugther-the Zenith was for hubby and I. We went with other couples and had a wonderful time. I had steak 3 nights of the 5 and it was just as good as Chops to me.

Online vacation Center sent me an e-mail with super good rates for Dec. 8. I have never used them but they are like $200 less then the cruise agency I normally use-so I guess we could still end up on Zenith then.

We are also looking at a fall cruise on Caribbean Princess-on that cruise our daughter will be with us-but if we do that -not enough vacation time left in 06 for another cruise-especially a 10 day. But if we do that cruise it is for our daughter-not us-she pays her own way now- (grown woman)and she is trying to decide if she can afford it.

We told her we would be willing to do a cheapo old Carnival ship mini curise with her-if that is all she can afford-so we still may do the Celebrity cruise if we do that. (we would not do the cheapo cruise until Jan.) I guess we will make a decison one way or another this next week.

I looked at your profile and you were on the week after us. We were on the Mariner Oct. 2-but still tha tis close. I see you did back to backs on Mariner. Did I post to you last year? You weren't celebrating your 25th anniversary on the Mariner wee you? I remember posting to someone that was doing that and they did the same weeks as you.

I like your picture-I wish I was smart enough to do that. Your husband is not a dentist is he? You look like the couple we ate breakfast with one morning. If you are the same people-hubby ws the one that works for Delta Technolgy as a systems engineer.

Momofmeg - No it wasn't us. We'll be celebrating our 40th Anniversary this summer (Yes I was a child bride!!!!!!). And no, my husband isn't a dentist (wish he was). He's an engineer but at the moment unemployed. You've heard the same old story - new director comes in and terminates "everyone" and I mean everyone. HR director, Finance Director, etc. Hubby was the #2 person in the organization - Director of Manufacturing & had been there for 20 yrs.

Hopefully you'll be joining us on the Zenith on Dec 8th. We love to cruise & have a special Cruise Savings account that we won't & don't touch for anything else other than a cruise. If we work our cheap cruises correctly, we can take 2-3 cruises a yr. We only do "cheap cruises". Please check with different TA's regarding the Dec 8th Zenith cruise. If you email me privately, I'll give you the name of the TA we transferred our bookings to. As I mentioned before we always book while on the cruise so that we can get the shipboard credit.

Lynn

Momofmeg - No it wasn't us. We'll be celebrating our 40th Anniversary this summer (Yes I was a child bride!!!!!!). And no, my husband isn't a dentist (wish he was). He's an engineer but at the moment unemployed. You've heard the same old story - new director comes in and terminates "everyone" and I mean everyone. HR director, Finance Director, etc. Hubby was the #2 person in the organization - Director of Manufacturing & had been there for 20 yrs.

Hopefully you'll be joining us on the Zenith on Dec 8th. We love to cruise & have a special Cruise Savings account that we won't & don't touch for anything else other than a cruise. If we work our cheap cruises correctly, we can take 2-3 cruises a yr. We only do "cheap cruises". Please check with different TA's regarding the Dec 8th Zenith cruise. If you email me privately, I'll give you the name of the TA we transferred our bookings to. As I mentioned before we always book while on the cruise so that we can get the shipboard credit.

Lynn

We do not have enough vacation time for the 10 day this year-and because of a court case for our daughter's car accident-we are not sure if we have enough for a 7 day.

we are looking at one on Celebrity Century-a 5 dayer-I think it is taking over the run Zenith has this winter-there is one that returns on Thanksgiving Day so we would only need 3 vaction days.

Hubby's aunt just got back from a 10 day panama canal cruise on her and said she is still a very nice ship and the food was very good. So she has convinced us! right now it is supposed to be Grand Cayman and Jamaica-which would be fine for us-we are just afraid they may change it because last summer our cruise was supposed to be Grand Cayman and Jamaica but was changed to Key west. Same thing happened to our MOS cruise-we were first going to go Oct. 23 but when the ports were changed-we would be taking almost the same cruise we had taken in Dec. 03 so we switched to the eastern route. So we are still considering everything.

Now I know many say Jamaica is not a great port-but we have not been there-and we have been to Nassau and Cozumel both so many times we have lost count-we would just like to see a differant port.

By the way hubby's aunt is going on the Zenith in July to Bermuda-her TA got her a deal of an inside cabin, plane tickets and taxes all totaling for $899-so she jumped on it. We have not yet taken a cruise with her but since we are all cruiseaholics - we should-shouldn't we?

Archived