Alaska Advice Needed

envirochick

Hello Everyone,

OP here...I wanted to thank each of you for giving me your honest opinions in this thread. The off-the-beaten-path advice was very helpful as was discussion about Noordam. We've decided to go in a completely different direction and have booked a Seabourn cruise that will give us the opportunity to see some very unique locations on a smaller ship, do some very special shore excursions and still visit a few of the more frequented places. If, like so many of you, we become enamored with Alaska and want to visit again, we'll certainly consider HAL. Thanks, again.

Sojourn, wow that a whole different animal then what you were looking at.

• Maiden Voyage: Jun-10
    • Tonnage: 32000
    • Ship Length: 650 feet
    • Beam: 84 feet

[*]

• Maximum Speed: 19 knots
    • Crew Nationality: International
    • Officers Nationality: International
    • Passenger Capacity: 450

[*]

• Number of Crew: 335
    • Number of Elevators: 3
    • Number of Restaurants: 4
    • Number of Pools: 2

[*]

• Wheelchair Accessible: Yes

• Nice perks included in the price though...............

All Inclusive Cruising

With Seabourn Cruises all the following amenities are included:

• Gratuities

• Complimentary welcome champagne

• All dining venues - dine where, when and with whom you wish

• In suite bar stocked with your preferences

• Open bar throughout the ship

• Fine wines poured at lunch and dinner

Sojourn, wow that a whole different animal then what you were looking at. quote]

Hi Jimbo,

Yes, it is different, yet I was watching the pricing from the beginning. Not far off from a set of B2B’s and a lot more included. Should be a fun trip!

Hello Everyone,

We've decided to do 2 weeks in Alaska in Aug/Sept of this year. We know we're late to the party, yet we'd still like to do this. We are looking at Princess and HAL. We thought the 14 night on Star, Golden, or Island out of Vancouver would be best, yet cabin availibility is very limited (no minisuites with cover, a few balconies cabins that might work - they're so small though) and I am beginnning to look at a B2B (north and southbound) on HAL and the possibilty of a Vista Suite on a least one leg. For the last 5 years we've cruises Celebrity exclusivly. It's our first cruise to Alaska and Glacier Bay is non-negotiable. The one difference I see with the HAL itinerary is no Hubbard glacier on the southbound, which Princess has. Should this be a deal breaker? Would you do a small aft cabin baclony on Princess or peice together 2 - 7 day cruises in larger cabin on HAL if you could (considering Hubbard will be missed)? We are also concerned about sailing any new line, since we're so used to X. Not sure if Princess or HAL will fit us, but I keep hearing itinerary is everything.

We've also considered land touring for 7 days and then taking a southbound, but I'm seeing a lot of the hotels booked and we're not really intersted in a cruisetour. Not keen on spending much time in Fairbanks with cheesy excursions. I'd rather spend time in Denali, Seward, Homer and on the Kenai. Now we're thinking there's less hassle with 14 days of cruising (unpacking, longer flights, more expensive flights, etc.), but we're still staying open to a DIY land trip.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I feel I'm running out of time and should book something very soon. I've posted something similar on the Princess boards too. Thanks.

Hi there, We did an Alaska cruise in 2012 on the Coral Princess and LOVED the ship. It is a smaller ship as mentioned. You are right to include Glacier Bay. Hopefully you will have a cloudless day as we did. They had a naturalist on board from the Parks Service during the Glacier Bay tour. We did the 7 day cruise northbound from Vancouver. When we disembarked we picked up our car rental and drove for 10 days staying at various places that included Talkeetna (Mt McKinley flightseeing tour on another cloudless day was sooo worth the money), stayed in a nice B&B there. We then stayed a few days in Denali and took the bus into Eielson 2 days in a row..also worth the 11 hour journey. We then backtracked to the Kenai Peninsula and spent 3 rainy days in Seward. It was an awesome trip. Now that said, car rentals are cheapest when booked a year in advance, but check Costco for car rentals if you are a member, and also Enterprise. Enterprise met us at the Princess luggage depository in Anchorage and they took one look at our luggage and said this "you will be cramped in this car for 10 days" (a small SUV). They brought us back to their office and upgraded us to a larger vehicle at no extra charge.

We are booked on a Holland America cruise next summer that covers many more ports in Alaska ( 3 weeks RT from San Francisco). I am looking forward to going back to Alaska and seeing if HAL does Alaska as good as Princess did!

Have fun planning!

edited note: I see that you have decided on Seabourn. I love small ships, that sounds like a wonderful trip! Enjoy!

Edited by pmjnh

The 14-day does sail both the inside passage and “out to sea”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To clarify a little about the Inside Passage, this cruise does not do the same inside passage (the east side of Vancouver Island) as a HAL cruise out of Vancouver does. I, too, am considering this itinerary even though I would be sad to miss the cruise up and down the east side of Vancouver Island.

Also, the sailing on the west side of Vancouver Island can get the ship rolling a bit as you are not protected by the island.

Hi there, We did an Alaska cruise in 2012 on the Coral Princess and LOVED the ship. It is a smaller ship as mentioned. You are right to include Glacier Bay. Hopefully you will have a cloudless day as we did. They had a naturalist on board from the Parks Service during the Glacier Bay tour. We did the 7 day cruise northbound from Vancouver. When we disembarked we picked up our car rental and drove for 10 days staying at various places that included Talkeetna (Mt McKinley flightseeing tour on another cloudless day was sooo worth the money), stayed in a nice B&B there. We then stayed a few days in Denali and took the bus into Eielson 2 days in a row..also worth the 11 hour journey. We then backtracked to the Kenai Peninsula and spent 3 rainy days in Seward. It was an awesome trip. Now that said, car rentals are cheapest when booked a year in advance, but check Costco for car rentals if you are a member, and also Enterprise. Enterprise met us at the Princess luggage depository in Anchorage and they took one look at our luggage and said this "you will be cramped in this car for 10 days" (a small SUV). They brought us back to their office and upgraded us to a larger vehicle at no extra charge.

We are booked on a Holland America cruise next summer that covers many more ports in Alaska ( 3 weeks RT from San Francisco). I am looking forward to going back to Alaska and seeing if HAL does Alaska as good as Princess did!

Have fun planning!

edited note: I see that you have decided on Seabourn. I love small ships, that sounds like a wonderful trip! Enjoy!

Yes, we’ve decided to have an intimate, small ship experience. We’re really excited and know we’ve made the right choice for us. I wanted to thank you for your helpful advice above. Enjoy your cruise next summer!