DCL fan does the Allure

Enjoying your review and following along.

A couple of people, myself included, have commented on the cost of Disney versus RC. It seems like overall you enjoyed your cruise, do you have any comparison/comments regarding this. Disney is usually so much higher in price.

The four times we have sailed with Disney have been in April, May and December. Each of those were comparable in price with Disney, within $200 difference. But for the summer months, the price was more than double. I could not justify that cost difference, so for us summer cruises will be with RCL. I am looking forward to Disney's two new ships and maybe with those the prices will be more compatible or at least they may switch their ships around where the 3 and 4 nights will be on a different ship.

I think your review is pretty accurate. One thing that we experienced differently was the captain. When we were on Allure, we had Capt. Johnny and he was everywhere. Even saw him riding around the ship on his motorcycle a couple times.

I think that is just the personality of the different captains and they do switch out every few months.

He was new to this sailing as when I asked a few staff members they didn't even know his name. Each is different, some more personable than others.

I think your review is pretty accurate. One thing that we experienced differently was the captain. When we were on Allure, we had Capt. Johnny and he was everywhere. Even saw him riding around the ship on his motorcycle a couple times.

I think that is just the personality of the different captains and they do switch out every few months.

Captains are 10 weeks on, 10 weeks off. Cruise directors are either 3 or 4 months on, and I think 1 month off.

Towel animals are totally dependent on your cabin attendant. We were on the same Anthem sailing as MikeBTN and while they received 3 in 9 nights we received 9! He skipped one evening but the next evening we got two :) . He also made a super cute towel birthday cake that was huge because we had decorated our door for my daughter's birthday. She turned 9 shortly after the cruise. He also received a good tip above and beyond the prepaid gratuities at the end of the cruise!

Ice sailed DCL Dream and Fantasy and also just sailed Allure on the same itinerary three weeks ago for the first time (although sailed a few other RCI ships) and for the most part. 100% agree on the pool decks with Allure. Even my 8 year old agrees, the pool decks on every RCI ship we have been on are better (even the smaller ones - Vision/Grandeur).

Our headliner was an acapella group Re Voiced I think is what their name was.

The biggest differences I see is the MDR food. Its better on disney, no question. I'd say the windjammer vs cabanas is basically a wash but if I had to choose, I'd lean cabanas because it's got more variety and it's bigger BUT Allure has other locations as well where disney doesnt have as many. Specialty dining is close...both are good, but Allure has more variety. Another difference I see is service. Disney wins there hands down. It doesnt mean RCI offers bad service just that Disney does it better, ESPECIALLY at guest services. BUT, they do it better than almost everyone, not just RCI. Disney also does a better job of dispersing their guests throughout the ship all day. The ship just never seems as crowded (even when it's completely full) as what the RCI ships do at times. My first time at castaway cay I looked at my wife and said "where the hell did all these kids come from????".

But, when you factor in cost vs value, RCI beats Disney head to head almost every time for us. We have just as much fun and what we give up in "free soda", service and putting up with a more crowded ship, we spend in specialty restauraunts, day trips/excursions and more cruises.

The four times we have sailed with Disney have been in April, May and December. Each of those were comparable in price with Disney, within $200 difference. But for the summer months, the price was more than double. I could not justify that cost difference, so for us summer cruises will be with RCL. I am looking forward to Disney's two new ships and maybe with those the prices will be more compatible or at least they may switch their ships around where the 3 and 4 nights will be on a different ship.

I've done more Royal cruises than DCL, but I've done 6 across 3 of the 4 ships. I agree with a lot of what you said in this whole thread. I quoted this piece because I'm super excited for 5/6/7 to come out. I just wanted to make sure you know that it is THREE new ships, not two.

I will say that I vastly prefer Magic & Wonder's adults only areas over Dream's area. I believe Fantasy's is the same. Less kids wandering through due to placement.

We love DCL as well and have been on several of the 4 night Dream cruises. Funny enough, once you're actually on the ship, we have found DCL prices better than RCL. Much nicer quality of adult beverages for more reasonable prices. The 687 Pub has much better beer on draft, etc and the Skyline bar is much nicer and better quality as well.

BUT...the premium of the price to get onto a DCL ship is now outrageous. Someone asked for some specifics in the price difference. We booked a 7 might Anthem for next April with 2 adults and one child in an interior and the cost is just under $3,000. That same week for an interior with 1 child on the 4 night Disney Dream would be $4500. The price differential is just too much for the differences for us now.

I have to click on each jpg link individually to see the photos. They are not loading into the post.

I know, it sucks, I couldn't figure it out. Kept saying the image was too big.