Major disappointment with the Coral

kgn

I said "interesting comment" to this..

"I explained to her that it was her job to entertain my kids and it was my job as a parent to decide when they are tired".. You responded to only half my quote..

Oh, I just didn't think the second part was up for any debate!? So I figured it was the first part of the sentence you were emphasizing. Sorry.

To the doting mother:

The only thing I hope is that when I'm a parent of teens, I remember how kids USUALLY are as teens. I'm not saying that parents who say "my kid doesn't do anything bad, ever, they're perfect..." are ALL wrong, probably just a bit over confident. I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the MIDDLE. Hell if you came to CC you'd think ALL smokers are the most careful and thoughtful people in the world, ALL people with children have absolute ANGELS, and everyone tips up the wazzoooo. :)

This proves to me that cruising is mainly for adults,

I think it is highly subjective. We took our son on his first cruise when he was 5. He LOVED it....he loved to lounge on the balcony, sit in the hot tub, go to the buffet, LOVED the diningroom and he sat nicely through all the courses. He did not enjoy the kids program all that much but that did not spoil his experience. He simply loved the same things we love about cruising. He was one of the main reasons we booked our upcoming cruise.

The only thing I hope is that when I'm a parent of teens, I remember how kids USUALLY are as teens. I'm not saying that parents who say "my kid doesn't do anything bad, ever, they're perfect..." are ALL wrong, probably just a bit over confident. :)

I have 4 teens...I *say* they are perfect and I am happily living in blissful ignorance. :D

Guest AdmiralNelson
Now I will start by telling you we like our kids and like to hang out with them, ages 8, 11, 12 & 15.

With kids in the age group you have I would recommend Carnival. Camp Carnival really is 'prepared' for all of those age groups, they have many activities and have more people to look after a high volume of children. Their ships regularly have up to 600 children on board and usually (depending on size) can have nearly 20 YACs to keep the kids busy. They have discos in the evening catered to the different age groups so they wont just be watching TV.

I guess we are lucky that we can afford to take our son on two cruises a year, we always get a mini suite and the cruise lines are more than happy to take our money. Our son who will be 13 next month has enjoyed more cruises than many people complaining about children on this thread. He is better behaived than many adults, (never drunk and rude- never hogging elevators or deck chairs) it is unfortunate that you feel that cruising is not for children because your family did not do it. My son is fortunate enough to be able to see the world and ENJOY it before becoming as bitter and cynical. For the individuals that dislike children instead of asking us with them to sail on carnival, maybe YOU should go on adult only cruises- My child loves cruising and is never bored..........

My kids and I have been on a few Princess cruises and a couple of Celebrity... I like Celeb... I even gave them a second chance when theyunsuccessfully set out to ruin my first cruise with them (That's another story.) Both lines have pretty similar kid's programs the quality of which (as in most things cruising) varies ship to ship and crew to crew.

Somewhere half way through OP's post though my mind started going, "Wow, this parent's a piece of work!". When I learned OP was a Celebr-ite (ohh - that tone... so Celeb...) and it all made so much sense!

Oh Well! OP only complained - vehemently - about the kid's program. A cruise vacation ruined by a few evening hours in the pool with your kids. Until fairly recently, you wouldn't been doing that on Celeb! Maybe Princess will get a second chance. I won't lose any sleep over it though, it's evening and time for the movie...

Does Princess not advertise in their brochures as being "family friendly"?

Perhaps those who prefer not to sail with children aboard should patronize lines like Crystal, Seabourn, Radisson, etc.

I agree with most, though, that Princess is the inferior line when it comes to families, uh....adults too, for that matter. Just my humble opinion, not intended to raise any hackles.

It seems I'm not in the minority in wanting an 'adult only' cruise. It doesn't have the whole line or even the ship 100% of the time (although it might be confusing to manage for partial usage).

Think of what could be added in the spaces currently reserved for kids activities, would be a nice way to enhance an older ship and still be able to draw a decent crowd.

Then do the opposite with another ship, make it for families, remove some of the nightclubs and such in favour of more family oriented venues.

I think we're on to something here, I wonder if any cruiseline has ever seriously considered doing this ....

If the kids cruise now. What will thay have to look forward to as adults. Cruising will be old stuff to them by then, and the excitement of a cruise will be greatly deminished.

I ate ice cream as a child and still love it......I enjoyed Christmas as a child and still love it........the first hot night of summer thrilled me when I was young and it still does......if we go by your theory than the folks who have cruised 30 or 40 times most likely aren't enjoying it nearly as much as the ones who have only cruised once or twice. Why then would they keep coming back?

I understand that many of you feel that there is no place for children on cruise ships. You get snippy and nasty whenever someone has the gall to complain about children's programs or lack there of. You say things like "Well if you want family time perhaps you should just stay home" or "Why would you bring your child on a cruise if you are going to leave them off at the children's program?" Strangely, the same way that adults enjoy the company of other adults, children enjoy the company of their peers. I would think, for those of you that do not wish to see children around the public areas of the ship, that having the best children's program possible would be an answer to your prayers. If the children really enjoy the program and there is a variety of things to entertain them and keep them interested then they won't be getting in the way of those of you who do not wish them on the ship in the first place.

FWIW I found the childrens program on both of our Princess cruises to be very movie intensive in the evenings. NCL, CCL and X all offered a large variety of entertaining choices for my son. He would go for two to three hours per evening and loved it. He enjoyed the Princess program too, but did state that they watched an awful lot of movies. Our first PCL cruise was a seven night and the second a three night. As you can tell by my sig line, we are equal opportunity cruisers and have no deep affiliation to any line. If the ship is going where we want to go and the price is right we will take it.

I do honestly think a few people on this thread have been unduly hostile to the OP. While I think perhaps the OP's "we will never cruise PCL again" was a little over the top, there is no need for folks to be so nasty.

Okay y'all fire when ready!!!:)

Then do the opposite with another ship, make it for families, remove some of the nightclubs and such in favour of more family oriented venues.

I think we're on to something here, I wonder if any cruiseline has ever seriously considered doing this ....

Isn’t that what they’ve done with Disney?

Just for the record, I don’t mind if well behaved kids are on my cruise. I don’t mind a reasonable number on board. If Princess doesn’t offer the kind of kids programs that keep them engaged, then that’s an issue for the cruise line and those of you with kids who want them in kids programs should spend your cruise dollar where you can get what you want. In the meantime, if your kid is bored, I think it your responsibility to ensure they are behaving while on board the ship. I do mind when parents and their three children sit down in a lounge, the kids put their feet up on the chairs and tables and the parents don't say a thing to them...as an example. Your child's recklessness could be a danger to themselves or other passengers. You’ve heard the stories of people disappearing from ships? If something like that were to happen, who are the parents going to blame first - themselves for not keeping an eye on the kids or the cruise line?

Wow...what a heated debate:eek: . For my part, having cruised with my kids for the last 10 years or so off and on I have to say that IMHO a cruise can and should be a great family experience, with time together and also time to chill out alone. It must be recognised that Princess usually splits its clubs into separate age groupings and the activities vary considerably according to section. The teen set up is really different and their activities last, I seem to recall, to about 1am, long after we are tucked up.:) I do remember that the younger ones did tend to wind down with movies etc in the evenings but the suggestion made that a parent can always ask nicely for an alternative for their child ( and friends?) should normally be sympathetically received. Princess do have a slight problem with their 9 to 12 age banding as a 12 year old has rather different needs to an 8 year old. Our solution was to allow our kids to do their own thing with their friends when club got too boring for them in the evening. My daughter thought it was magical to go swimming at 9pm with her chums when she was 12 and it was a delight to see them having such great fun doing something so simple.

Now to the vexed issue of behaviour. Anyone who has brought up a family and is truly honest with themselves will realise that whilst we should be able to maintain their behaviour to the highest standards when they are with us, when they are out of sight it can be a different matter. We have been complimented on our kid's conduct when they are with us, notably at dining times. However, I wonder what a secret camera would have shown when they were out with their friends. It is not too difficult to use these boards to predict the likely number of kids on a cruise. If they offend, then avoid cruises when there are likely to be many on board. For example, there are generally few kids on early and late season European cruises. Also, realise that kids are not angels and neither are some adults. I can never forget the look of absolute horror on my kids faces when an obnoxious gentleman was very unnecessarily rude to a ''mature'' couple who got confused and dithered in an elevator.

Finally, if Princess staff fail to provide what is expected, don't leave things to fester but take it to a higher level without delay. I did this with our incompetent and unhelpful cabin steward last summer and his supervisor soon sorted things out in an exemplary manner. I believe that all crew should be treated with courtesy and I expect the same in return. I have zero tolerance to staff rudeness and would not have accepted being spoken to in the manner indicated by the OP. If this ever happens, I advocate taking the matter immediately to a very senior level.

Thanks for allowing me to get this off my chest.

A confession:

I haven't read but a part of the original post but I stopped at:

"it was her job to entertain my kids"

the above quote was the original poster talking to the kids program worker. Now I will explain why I stopped at that point:

If that is the attitude why even bother to continue reading? I noticed BDJAM mention Disney. I suppose some people think the fee they pay for their kids passage includes around the clock entertainment.

As an aside to the main issue, in Britain Princess is marketing some Sea Princess cruises as offering 'free child places'. This seems a bit strange to us, particularly since they're not during school holidays. However, since our past experiences with children on cruises have been almost entirely holiday-enhancing, we have not let it deter us from booking.

Ibrasu

A confession:

I suppose some people think the fee they pay for their kids passage includes around the clock entertainment.

Same attitute abouts schools........It is their job to teach my kids, not mine........:rolleyes:

Kids and cruising....a hot botton topic!

Our family of four (kids are now 13 and 10) have found cruising to be a great family vacation. We have 2 NCL and 1 Princess cruise under our belt, with the Coral Princess booked for this coming April school vacation(with friends with two kids). We like cruising because it offers everyone in our family something different to do. My husband wanted to return to land vacations and we all fought to keep cruising!

My kids prefer sea days because the Kid's Program runs more often. My son's best experience was this past year on the Diamond Princess Mex Riviera cruise because the kid's program was AWESOME! They had b-ball tournaments and all sorts of other activities. My daughter had hit the teen age group for the first time was a bit of a fish out of water at first but did enjoy herself in the end. She would have prefered to be in my son's group playing b-ball and doing arts and crafts...not with her brother, of course!!! She and I really enjoyed spending time in the pottery area painting various pieces to bring home and we all enjoyed family ping pong matches.

Families and couples can cruise together. We met so many wonderful couples on our various shore excursions and at dinner on our last cruise and found that our kids were active participants in the conversations. While horseback riding with the one couple, they were wishing they had their kids with them and talked with my son and daughter the whole way down the beach. My kids aren't perfect angels, nor am I(!), but they do know how to talk with adults and make eye contact and never felt they were intruding in adult space. To the contrary, the adults were seeking them out. (Maybe it was my son's Tom Brady shirt ...kind of cute!!).

A confession:

the above quote was the original poster talking to the kids program worker. Now I will explain why I stopped at that point:

If that is the attitude why even bother to continue reading? I noticed BDJAM mention Disney. I suppose some people think the fee they pay for their kids passage includes around the clock entertainment.

If Kara is the director of the childrens program, what exactly would be included in her job description if not to provide entertainment to children? I do not think that the OP said anything about round the clock entertainment. But if I take my son on a cruise with me and the cruise offers a children's program I do think the children's program should provide entertainment. While else would the cruise line have a children's program?:confused:

I'm sorry, but it always annoys me when someone is slandered and can't defend themselves. We only have one side of the story. As I posted yesterday: "She was not there but we left a message."

I guess I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, particularly when they aren't on CruiseCritics and can't defend themselves. My theory is she didn't receive the first message for whatever reason and then was definitely defensive when called on the carpet. My question is, why wait so long to try to get ahold of her a second time? What could have been a productive face to face discussion turned into a defensive unproductive telephone conversation.

I would have approached the counselors on duty and said "my kids don't want to watch the movie. Can they play a board game or do a craft instead? Let's compromise." But asking them to completely change their schedule to accomodate a few kids is a little unreasonable. Besides a lot of kids like to watch movies and wind down after a busy day.

Does Princess not advertise in their brochures as being "family friendly"?

Perhaps those who prefer not to sail with children aboard should patronize lines like Crystal, Seabourn, Radisson, etc.

I agree with most, though, that Princess is the inferior line when it comes to families, uh....adults too, for that matter. Just my humble opinion, not intended to raise any hackles.

I'm really getting tired of those of you that have just started cruising Princess telling us to go elsewhere. We were happy with the product and apparently you are not, so I would suggest you go elsewhere.

I do believe Kara should have returned the call and answered the OP's questions. It is very rude not to return calls and then be mad when someone goes to your superior.

Do parents pay extra(above cruise price) for the children's and teen center? If not, not much to complain about. Ever hear of a Nanny? I pay full fare too, and don't get to use the teen center(games). And the adult only pools seem to get young ones in them and Princess doesn't enforce the rules. Princess could make more money off more bar areas instead of teen/children areas.

I say Princess ought to start doing some adult only cruises on diff. itinerary's and ships and see which makes more money. When there are less children around the pool area, and decks, I spend more time there and buy more drinks. I wonder if it is that way with other adults.

That being said, I have been on cruises where the kids should be thrown overboard, and some cruises where the kids were a joy to be with. On the Tahitian in Oct. There were only two, a little girl(which we only saw a few times) and a little boy(would have loved to take him home). Both sets of parents made sure they were always with the children.

Maybe a land vacation, that has baby sitters or a cruise that has baby sitters are a good choice. I'm sure they charge extra for that at resorts.

Now I'll get off my soap box.

And my hats off to the parents that actually enjoy doing things with their children, and not pawning them off on others, and bringing them up with manners and teaching them right from wrong, and to follow the rules.

When a poster does not have a 100% fabulous time on Princess and mentions it in a post to warn other future travelers of things to watch out for or perphaps have an actual Princess employee see it and do something about the problem, you all come down harshly on them.

My children are well behaved (not perfect but neither are adults) and are ALWAYS supervised on a ship or anywhere for that matter. Yes it is still my opinion that if the line offers a kids program then it is a program not, as posters have stated, a babysitting service.

Families have become cruise lines focal market by adding al the kid options. Just because we are a family does not mean we have to sail on Carnival or Disney. Maybe it is the posters that want adult only cruises that need to leave and go to the Crystals (who do not offer a kids program)

This board is great to get references and information on ports, ships, lines etc. By giving me a rash of **** for posting my opinon and problems you are not allowing other readers to get the entire picture of a cruise, the line, the ship etc.

My wife and I were aboard Coral Princess Dec.04-14 to Panama Canal.

I couldn't disagree more about the whining I read about your cruise experience. We found the ship,service,staff,and food to be exceptional.

Entertainment was absolutely first rate...the singers,dancers,comedian etc were Broadway quality. The ships staff went above and beyond to make passengers feel welcome and comfortable.

And lets face it...some of our fellow passengers could use a an intensive course at charm school themselves.

Passengers who bring young children aboard have some responsibility themselves for their children rather than expecting the staff to prepare a custom made program for each child...especially with a ship full of vacationing youngsters.

It's clear that some lines are more kid-focused (Disney/Carnival) and others are more adult focused (Crystal/Oceania). Unfortunately for those of us who aren't made of money, those adult lines tend to be quite expensive.

I would never suggest kicking kids out of a cruise that is clearly being offered to everyone. Nor would I choose to cruise during school vacations or on the Disney line. But, if there are enough like minded people who would prefer the kid-free environment but don't have the money for a premium cruiseline, it would be nice to have that option. Maybe I am alone in saying so but I would be a bit surprised. Even some people with kids might prefer this if they are leaving their own behind. Again, I'm not talking about the whole line, maybe just one ship or a few itineraries.

Donna5: "Do parents pay extra(above cruise price) for the children's and teen center? If not, not much to complain about."

Following your reasoning, since children don't get to use the casino, and they don't pay 'above cruise price' for it, then I guess most adults wouldn't complain the casino was closed for the night, or used monopoly money for the payouts, or some equivalent.

If a cruise line offers and advertises a children's program (or gambling, or whatever), it is reasonable to expect them to deliver same. If you are frequenting a cruise line that offers a children's program, you can expect and be prepared to cruise with families.

While else would the cruise line have a children's program?:confused:
So Mom and Dad (or Mom and Mom or Dad and Dad, must be PC!) can have some time to spend money at the casino or somewhere else. Considering the number of people asking if the TV's have jacks for a DVD player or X-BOX, perhaps most don't really expect or imagine more out of a childrens' program. Besides, most kids have seen any movie about a bezillion times and end up doing their own thing with their friends and playmates anyway.

Archived