Power Strips? Yay or Nay?

SailorMarg

Yes, just has others have stated. You probably don't need a power surge strip these days. I was just on the Noordam (June 10th - June 17th). I brought a power strip about 1.5 years ago on the Nieuw Amsterdam. It does not have the surge protection breaker and was allowed to back then. This time, my luggage was held up for 3 hours before I was informed where it was. Security had my luggage and requested I remove the power surge to be confiscated for the remainder of the cruise. Again, it did not have the surge protector breaker on it. I was told if you needed to, you could request your statesman steward to provide you one. There were enough outlets available for our phones, tablet and camera to charge. They even had usb charge outlets next to each bed.

Just so you know, the "breaker" (I'm assuming you are referring to the little lighted switch) is not the surge protection, that is merely a circuit breaker (overcurrent). Most devices, you have to read on them in the specifications for whether it is surge protected or not.

About two years ago we had our power strip confiscated by HAL for the first time. A HAL-approved power strip was provided to us, and ever since then I have called ahead and one has been waiting for us in our cabin when we board.

The euro-style power outlets in the staterooms can be converted to USA style power outlets with a mechanical adapter such as the 3-pack sold at Target. You plug your USA device into the adapter and then plug the adapter into the euro-style wall outlet. Most electronics will accept both 120V/220V 50Hz/60Hz so they will work fine (be sure to confirm this for each device).

These adapters will provide American travelers with additional usable power outlets for small electronic devices.

igraf

I am obviously missing something here. How does it add a usable outlet? It gets plugged into the wall outlet, but there is only on outlet going into the adapter, that I can see, anyway, to plug in a device.

We had our power (non-surge protected) taken from us on the last cruise in May. We did, however, bring a three-way splitter and that helped.

Thanks for the heads up on requesting one from the Room Steward. We will do that next time.

After conflicting information from both CC users and the cruise lines, we've stopped taking a power strip. We have an 8 port USB hub which powers all of our electronics that we leave plugged into the outlet on the desk. If you need the outlet for something else simply unplug the hub and plug in the other item.

I once had my three-outlet (no breaker) strip confiscated on a RCCI ship, but I realized later they had actually seen my spare laptop cord (I always bring a spare after having to replace one on Guam). I now bring the strip aboard in my carry on so if they have an issue with it, there will be no confusion. I have never had a problem with it except that once, although it has set on my desk for at least 20 cruises. Since I bring aboard my own digital clock (with large red numbers for the dark), that permanently occupies an outlet and the European outlet is not an option, it would be difficult to manage otherwise. The European outlet, with an adapter, is used for my laptop.