Xpedition Galapagos passenger numbers

beechwood

I have recently booked 2 cabins on Vista deck for a cruise in June. When I booked (a week ago) I was advised by Celebrity UK that there was one cabin left on Marina Deck (cabins in 300 range) and 4 cabins on Vista (400 range) which included the two I subsequently booked.

Having looked at the Celebrity website today, there are 9 cabins left on Marina (out of 14 "XD" cabins) and 16 on Vista (out of a total of 19 "XP" cabins). I am now concerned that we will be sailing on a deserted ship! I was given the impression that this cruise was popular but now I'm not so sure - is this cruise just not popular or is it something about June, altho I did look at other dates (even those leaving in the next couple of weeks) and there seemed to be plenty of vacant cabins.

If this cruise does not sell well, I am concerned about cancellations at short notice by Celebrity.

We were on Xpedition last fall with about 60 passengers (90 is full). For some reason this trip doesn't usually sell out, but I've never seen it cancelled (not sure why Celebrity would).

You didn't ask, but expect to be amazed.

Frank

I just returned from this trip 2 weeks ago and the ship was completely full. Of course, this was the cruise that led up to Xmas, so there were several families, which accounted for the no vacancies. But, after reading the many posts on this site, I would not worry one bit about Celebrity cancelling this cruise. From what the guides told us, June is a really good time to visit especially because many birds and fish will exhibit their mating rituals. Yes, the water currents are rougher and the temperature is colder than they are in December, but the temperature only varies slightly, since you are on the equator. Also, the Galapagos Islands are becomming a very popular destination, and with good reason. I am sure that the cruise will fill up as it gets closer to the date of departure as people(like myself), tend to wait until after the holidays to make their summer plans. Besides, Celebrity has little competition in that area of the world as it is the only 'luxury' cruise line that sails in the Galapagos. Good Luck!

Thank you for your replies - hopefully the cruise will fill up as time goes by as we're taking our two grown-up children, ages 19 and 22, and I'm sure they would prefer a busier atmosphere!

I'm currently trying to make arrangements for a Peru add-on and am comparing costs for organising everything independently as against an inclusive tour starting from our arrival in Lima (to include Cusco and Machu Picchu). If anyone has any advice /recommendations I'd be grateful to receive them.

I took this trip Dec. 11 and there were 73 pax. I would have been happy if there were less. I was told onboard that that back in Sept. after all the hurricanes, many people cancelled and the ship sailed one week with only 24 pax. That would be wonderful. Your kids will be plenty busy, but if they are looking for other teens to flirt with, it's not that kind of trip. One of the naturalists said June was his favorite month.

I'm sure the lack of teens won't be an issue - my son loves seeing out of the way places (he spent 3 months in Mongolia when he was 17 and would love to go back) altho my daughter is a sun and beach girl. We went on a cruise to Alaska last year and admitted she enjoyed it so I'm sure she'll get something out of the trip (much more memorable than sitting on a beach!)

I have recently booked 2 cabins on Vista deck for a cruise in June. When I booked (a week ago) I was advised by Celebrity UK that there was one cabin left on Marina Deck (cabins in 300 range) and 4 cabins on Vista (400 range) which included the two I subsequently booked.

Having looked at the Celebrity website today, there are 9 cabins left on Marina (out of 14 "XD" cabins) and 16 on Vista (out of a total of 19 "XP" cabins). I am now concerned that we will be sailing on a deserted ship! I was given the impression that this cruise was popular but now I'm not so sure - is this cruise just not popular or is it something about June, altho I did look at other dates (even those leaving in the next couple of weeks) and there seemed to be plenty of vacant cabins.

If this cruise does not sell well, I am concerned about cancellations at short notice by Celebrity.

You will not be disappointed. You are in for the "treat"of a lifetime. I wish we were going back (Just returned from the Dec 4th cruise) Lucky you!!!!

I'm sure the lack of teens won't be an issue - my son loves seeing out of the way places (he spent 3 months in Mongolia when he was 17 and would love to go back) altho my daughter is a sun and beach girl. We went on a cruise to Alaska last year and admitted she enjoyed it so I'm sure she'll get something out of the trip (much more memorable than sitting on a beach!)

Out of curiousity, what week in June? We are on the week of the 18th - 25th, arriving in Quito on the 16th.

With regard to independent arrangements, there is another thread headed (I think) Just Back From Xpedition Dec 4 (??) or something like that. It's about 6 pages long and somewhere about page 5 or 6 there is a fairly complete discussion among people who have been on this cruise of the pros and cons of making independent bookings. There are some pretty compelling reasons for not doing it. We're doing the Celebrity package so it didn't affect us, but having travelled to Quito on a previous cruise, I found it interesting.

With regard to independent arrangements, there is another thread headed (I think) Just Back From Xpedition Dec 4 (??) or something like that. It's about 6 pages long and somewhere about page 5 or 6 there is a fairly complete discussion among people who have been on this cruise of the pros and cons of making independent bookings.

I have also been posting on that thread and discussing the pros and cons of doing our own Quito-Baltra flights as we are interested in just booking the 7 day trip. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=266402&page=5 But I could only find one thread where someone planning a cruise said that they were advised by Celebrity that they could book the 7 day cruise and have the option of Celebrity arranging the Galapagos flights. When I asked Celebrity, they said definitely not - they would only do it in combination with the 10 or 11 day trip. Since that thread is getting quite long, I decided to post the question in a new thread yesterday to see if I might get answers from others. So far, no responses. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=275633

Roland, we're also going to Quito on 16 June and sailing on 18!

I booked the 10 day package and it is only the Peru portion that I'm trying to organise perhaps independently. I'm also organising our flights from the UK and am leaning towards Iberia via Madrid as the 2hr 20 mins connection time with AA in Miami may be tight as we'll have to clear immigration.

I'm trying to keep the whole trip secret from my husband as it's to celebrate his 50th birthday which will be whilst on board and our daughter will also celebrate her 20th birthday during the cruise.

Look forward to meeting you

Roland, we're also going to Quito on 16 June and sailing on 18!

I booked the 10 day package and it is only the Peru portion that I'm trying to organise perhaps independently. I'm also organising our flights from the UK and am leaning towards Iberia via Madrid as the 2hr 20 mins connection time with AA in Miami may be tight as we'll have to clear immigration.

I'm trying to keep the whole trip secret from my husband as it's to celebrate his 50th birthday which will be whilst on board and our daughter will also celebrate her 20th birthday during the cruise.

Look forward to meeting you

Great. We look forward to it. We will be post-celebrating as well. Our 25th anniversary is in late May. Good luck keeping it a secret.

Unfortunately I can't guide you on Customs in Miami. We're coming from Toronto and we pre-clear US Immigration and Customs here before boarding. I would normally say 2 Hrs 20 would be enough (I'm a TA), but one never knows with US Immigration.

Archived