Sojourn Misty Fjords Zodiac Exploration

We just got back from Sojourn and did the kayak in Misty Fjord. It was 80 degrees and a bit sweaty but extremely beautiful. I'd recommend any of the Ventures excursions. They do a terrific job. We did Zodiac trips to the glaciers which were amazing. Enjoy.

You’re not going to get to many replies re zodiacs. Seabourn hadn’t been in Alaska for years before 2017 and last year all zodiac trips in Alaska were replaced by catamarans. I did the catamaran. The weather was also about 70-80 even in the late afternoon when it took place (early September). The reflections were stunning. I can still remember the smell of pine now. I felt we saw more than just sailing in on the ship

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You’re not going to get to many replies re zodiacs. Seabourn hadn’t been in Alaska for years before 2017 and last year all zodiac trips in Alaska were replaced by catamarans. I did the catamaran. The weather was also about 70-80 even in the late afternoon when it took place (early September). The reflections were stunning. I can still remember the smell of pine now. I felt we saw more than just sailing in on the ship

46945ffe84710109daa7db9ad7146eac.jpg46945ffe84710109daa7db9ad7146eac.jpg

yahzee and galeforce9 thank you for your replies. Beautiful photo. Despite 2018 being the first year of Zodiac Excursions I'm hoping to get a few more replies and comments from those who have gone on the Misty Fjords zodiac excursions this year and hoping we are lucky enough to get the weather both of you experienced.

I seem to remember that last year (2017) the local authorities were clamping down on the zodiac trips to force business to the catamarin operators. Someone hinted this a little earlier in the thread.

This seems pretty relevant to this discussion IMHO.

Tony

I seem to remember that last year (2017) the local authorities were clamping down on the zodiac trips to force business to the catamarin operators. Someone hinted this a little earlier in the thread.

Since we've booked an August Alaska cruise, I had asked earlier about zodiacs & kayaks and was told last year the zodiacs weren't allowed due to licensing issues (eg the zodiacs weren't made in the US is what whomever answered my questions reported). Not sure that's local authorities trying to push business but environmental concerns that Seabourn has addressed because the zodiac tours appear to be active this year.....

Not sure that's local authorities trying to push business but environmental concerns that Seabourn has addressed because the zodiac tours appear to be active this year.....

Again I need confirmation from someone who was on the cruise last year but my recollection is that the zodiacs were in the tour brochure and the announcement about the change was in our room when we boarded..

Tony

Last year when I went to Alaska on Seabourn the zodiacs were not allowed to operate in Alaskan waters but we were able to ride in them in the Canadian waters (Klemtu, Prince Rupert and Alert Bay).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can assure you the Zodiacs are running this year. There really is no difference between Zodiac or kayak to Misty Fjords except the mode of transport. You'll see exactly the same things. The Zodiacs are easy and require no effort - kayaks obviously are more of a workout. Misty Fjord is beautiful with waterfalls and wildlife, but it's not a glacier. toseaornottosea - what is your hesitation? You can always cancel onboard if you change your mind.

I can assure you the Zodiacs are running this year. There really is no difference between Zodiac or kayak to Misty Fjords except the mode of transport. You'll see exactly the same things. The Zodiacs are easy and require no effort - kayaks obviously are more of a workout. Misty Fjord is beautiful with waterfalls and wildlife, but it's not a glacier. toseaornottosea - what is your hesitation? You can always cancel onboard if you change your mind.

I know no glacier, doing the Tracy Arm zodiac excursion for the glacier. My only hesitation is how "misty" it will be. I've read that it's often so misty that one doesn't get to see much.

It really depends on the day. It was 80 degrees and sunny when we were there 12 days ago or so but I do understand it can get very misty indeed. For what it's worth, we enjoyed Misty Fjord very much but it's not as spectacular as the glaciers.

It really depends on the day. It was 80 degrees and sunny when we were there 12 days ago or so but I do understand it can get very misty indeed. For what it's worth, we enjoyed Misty Fjord very much but it's not as spectacular as the glaciers.

yahtzee thanks so much for you input. We are booked on the Tracy Arm zodiac excursion. Based on what you have had to say I'm going to book the Misty Fjords zodiac excursion. Which would you recommend? The one leaving at 9:00am, 11:00am, 1:30pm or 3:30pm? Just out of curiosity, do they leave from the ship's marina or from the tender platform?

They leave from the tender platform.

We did Kayaking in Misty Fjords which is nice as you get a small zodiac ride to the kayak location. I can't speak for the full zodiac trip there, however we did do a Zodiac at College Fjord and loved it. Also did a Catamaran and Kayaking at Tracy Arm and both were great. Catamaran is best for pictures, so we are glad we did both.

As far as catamaran vs. zodiac in general if the weather is nice, or you are like us and want to be outside regardless of weather, I would go Zodiac as you get to hear from the Ventures team who are fantastic. The catamaran will talk about the area and the sights, but you can only hear them if you are inside so you miss out if you are outside to take pictures or take the scenery in without glass in your way.

Either way, I hope you really enjoy your trip.

We did Kayaking in Misty Fjords which is nice as you get a small zodiac ride to the kayak location. I can't speak for the full zodiac trip there, however we did do a Zodiac at College Fjord and loved it. Also did a Catamaran and Kayaking at Tracy Arm and both were great. Catamaran is best for pictures, so we are glad we did both.

As far as catamaran vs. zodiac in general if the weather is nice, or you are like us and want to be outside regardless of weather, I would go Zodiac as you get to hear from the Ventures team who are fantastic. The catamaran will talk about the area and the sights, but you can only hear them if you are inside so you miss out if you are outside to take pictures or take the scenery in without glass in your way.

Thanks SlainteMhiah. Good info and advice. I think we'll take a chance on decent weather and book the Zodiac for Misty Fjords. I guess we could try to switch to the catamaran if weather not so good.

Another Question re: Zodiac Excursions

Based on your Misty Fjord and Tracy Arm experiences would you recommend excursions leaving later in the day, say at 1:00 or 3:00 or earlier say at 11:00.