Formal nights on Seaview maiden voyage or similar

PeglegJ

We love these, happy to dress up or down as the line expects. Does anyone know if dinner jackets are the thing or too dressy? As I say, dh has one, happy to wear it but doesn't want to pack it if not needed.

Many thanks

If it's not a packing issue, I think your DH should bring it. He wouldn't be out of place (though he would probably be in the minority). We always bring DH's (as well as a jacket and a couple pairs of trousers) - even on 28 night cruises. It makes the 'Elegant' nights extra-special IMHO.

If its anything like the previous 2 MSC cruises we have had this year then, don't even bother to get dried from the pool or bother to use the hand gel. Both of these we witnessed on formal nights and were seen as a joke by the head waiter.

Also note that a formal night on MSC is just a jacket and Gala night is for tux; but you will probably be in the minority on both.

The "formal" night was used for Voyagers club meeting with the Captain, but that was attended with people in shorts and T shirts.

I think a lot will depend on where you are cruising from, if its the Med then the above will apply but we have sailed from Southampton with a majority of Brits and had the "recommended" dress code well adhered to.

Sorry if it sounds a bit bad but it has left me feeling a bit miffed when we were sat with Tux and ballgown and the photographer asked if we wanted a photo, we had to refuse becase the table behind us had a large group still dripping from the pool.

Hi Peg,

It's your choice. As Tango has stated...there are disappointments with other miscreants who just don't care about anyone else around them. When we see such displays we always say...TTO...Trailer Trash Onboard.

Shame on the Maitre D' for allowing them to be seated in DR.

I find that when I dress in my formals the crew appreciates the effort If the crew can make the effort to dress on formal nights then I can too.