Getaway Delay / Crew Member Overboard

shwabob

It is extremely tragic for the family of the crew member. I can’t imagine what they are going through and pray for peace.

With that said it is inconvenient for those on board needing to change plans in their everyday life. And who may be affected by this financially. (Flight changes or a hotel overnight or a missed days wage on Monday. Not to mention the aggravation of having to deal with this on the last day of your vacation that you waited months for)

It is also inconvenient for those waiting to get on board tomorrow as well. We will lose time from the vacation we saved up for and planned on for days, weeks, months and yes even years. The crew will be somber I am sure.

Now I am very sorry for this poor person who felt he had no way out than to end his life. I am very sorry for his friends and family. I am sorry that no one ensures he get the treatment he needed to not take his life.

And I am also sorry for the people on board and boarding tomorrow that must deal with this mess now as well.

It doesn’t make me insensitive at all. It makes me sad to one degree or another for everyone involved.

So guest services is a mess indeed. Theyve opened up three phones for people to call their airline so there are massive lines for each. Now they're telling people that any compensation will have to come from the head office in Miami after the trip, and they cannot say how much will be offered. Also saying captain will make another announcement at approx 9pm advising on estimated Miami arrival. But they're still insisting that we will be there at 3pm tomorrow per the Captain's earlier announcement.

Some guests are saying they saw a plane overhead but that's just hearsay at this point.

Just point of info - based on the GPS coordinates given & plotted, Getaway is roughly 150+ nm northwest of Havana Cuba ... almost at the west end of Cuba, about 20 - 25 nm off the north coast, near the city/town of Dimas.

(GA is west of the incident location ... 28 miles NW of Pinar del Rio, Cuba, per news feed above) It is not "over" by Cozumel.

Thus, maybe 300 to 350 nm from its homeport in Miami, very rough approximation since this isn't a precise computation. ETA for ship's delayed arrival into MIA isn't that far off. Reference post #67 above (thanks) - USCG Air Station Miami has a HC-144 Ocean Sentry on scene, per news source cited. See for yourself on Google Earth/Maps & plot the ship's whereabout ...

From the ship's live bridge cam, it's still heading west based on the sun - seas are calm & doesn't appeared windy at all. It is truly sad to watch, probably 30 crew members in assorted clothing, likely some are off-duty & volunteering to help to be on the lookout for their "family" member unaccounted for.

... Put the troll on your ignore list, don't feed into it.

Edited by mking8288

I'm surprised the ship turned around some 12 hours later, then again I don't know how many miles away they were. I would have thought and they probably did contact all ships in the area where the person went over. They probably have the exact location, I'm guessing they saw the person go over from one of the video cameras and just back tract their position.

I'm surprised the ship turned around some 12 hours later, then again I don't know how many miles away they were. I would have thought and they probably did contact all ships in the area where the person went over. They probably have the exact location, I'm guessing they saw the person go over from one of the video cameras and just back tract their position.

The reports we heard from various crew was that the jump was in the very late night/early morning hours...like 0400-0600, and the ship was only doing about 14 knots during that period and 1300 when it turned around.

I believe they’re also required to by Maritime law.

I"m sad this guy/girl couldn't get/didn't get help, I feel sorry for his/her family. This being said...We and many others are driving/flying from a point far away for the cruise tomorrow and have to transport children/dogs etc to different points. Being one of the people going tomorrow, I am very grateful for the updates from the people currently on the Getaway please keep the updates coming. Thank You.

The captain just announced a minute ago the search has been called off by the USCG. We have turned around and are making 17.5kn NE back toward Miami. Position is Lat/Lon: 22.746040 / -84.433266. Captain still estimates arrival in Miami at 3pm.

The captain just announced a minute ago the search has been called off by the USCG. We have turned around and are making 17.5kn NE back toward Miami. Position is Lat/Lon: 22.746040 / -84.433266. Captain still estimates arrival in Miami at 3pm.

I suspect they’ll kick it in higher gear over night and you’ll arrive sooner. Thanks again for the updates.

That should be a 14 hour voyage. So maybe earlier but he won’t get hopes up?

Thank you so much for your updates. I appreciate all you have done to help us out

Great job keeping everyone updated. Hope everything works out for everyone involved.

Yes it would if you are a savy cruiser and purchased the insurance. However you would have to put the money out up front for most insurances and that could be a hardship for some. Also my trip insurance was for my cruise. Not my airfare as I purchased that separately. That probably would be the case with most people as cruise lines charge crazy amounts of money for airfare.

I buy insurance from Allianz as soon as I book any part of a trip and then amend it to add extra dates and/or money later, so that the total travel time and costs are covered....

New text.

This is an important embarkation update regarding the July 1st sailing of Norwegian Getaway. Embarkation will now begin at 4 pm. We strongly recommend for your comfort that you arrive to Port Miami between 3pm and 5 pm.

We thank your for your understanding and look forward to welcoming your onboard the beautiful Norwegian Getaway.

I suspect they’ll kick it in higher gear over night and you’ll arrive sooner. Thanks again for the updates.

Just got a text from NCL requesting that folks going out tomorrow should arrive to the port between 3-5:00 pm.

We are now making 22.9kts according to the scan display channel on the TV's. Position 22 56.23n 84 13.23w heading 49.7.

Any one of the brilliant experts want to give an ETA?

Edited by shwabob
kts autocorrect

We are now making 22.9kts according to the scan display channel on the TV's. Position 22 56.23n 84 13.23w heading 49.7.

Not an expert at all, but here we go - give it a very rough guestimate, FWIW.

Assume an average speed of 20 knots heading straight for Miami, it willl take about 12 hours from Havana and based on the coordinates, ship is another 75 nm, roughly, west of Havana ... so, I would add 4 hours on top ... putting this run at 16 to 17 hours +/- but it will need to slow down on approach with other marine traffic ... a midday arrival into the Miama area is a good possibility. The *Away class ships can run flat out at 22 to 23 knots as designed, faster with a strong tailwind, and could arrive earlier than these ballpark #'s.

Given the incident, I would NOT expect the ship to be cleared quickly for its usual fast turnaround, as the "authorities" would likely be onboard & do their work, before releasing & clearing ship for disembarkation. Pretty good odds that by breakfast time, you will have a better idea for an updated ETA & also within range of marine AIS radar tracking. The general timeline as outlined by NCL, it seemed, reasonable & close enough.

I extend a heartfelt thank you for sharing the live info, nobody wished to read or plan to be a part of these unfortunate news ... much obliged. Enjoy the evening !

P.S. sea conditions along the route is calm, wavelets only (5' or less) - Miami has t-storms, high temp of 87 deg. F for Sunday.

Edited by mking8288

Any one of the brilliant experts want to give an ETA?

~360 nm@ 22.9 knots equates to about 15.25 hours of travel time with no change in speed or docking. 10:30pm +15.25=1:45p + docking/tugboat + debarkation....

So I do have to give credit to the crew in guest services handling the situation. They've got open lines to each of the airlines and they are just moving people through as fast as they can. But it's a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk