Royal Caribbean Visa On Board Credit Refund

Getting ready for our upcoming cruise. Trying to decide how much On Board Credit to purchase with our RCI Visa points. If we do not use all of our on board credit will we loose it or can we cash it out at end of cruise?

Getting ready for our upcoming cruise. Trying to decide how much On Board Credit to purchase with our RCI Visa points. If we do not use all of our on board credit will we loose it or can we cash it out at end of cruise?

It's your money. You'll get it back.

You can get a cash refund at Guest Services on the last day. Otherwise they will apply the remaining refundable onboard credit to the credit card used to secure the onboard account. If that is the RC Visa card, then that credit will result in the lost of double points.

Thanks Pia, Bob,

Good to know. I also spoke with a person from Royal Caribbean and she said that "complimentary" or "promotional" on board credit is use it or loose it but "purchased" credit is refundable.

If that is the RC Visa card, then that credit will result in the lost of double points.
Not sure what that means or why, but the card securing our cruise account is different.

Thanks again,

Dave

... Not sure what that means or why, but the card securing our cruise account is different.

Thanks again,

Dave

When you purchase with the RC Visa card, you get points. When you get a refund to the RC Visa card, you lose points. If that refund comes from RC, you lose double points.

• 1 month later...

I am looking at cashing in some Royal Caribbean Visa Rewards and the description says can be used for onboard spa packages, wine packages, gift shops, coffee shops and bars, excursions and specialty restaurants. Can the credit be applied toward gratuities? We have a drink package, excursions are paid for and I doubt we will go to a specialty restaurant.

I am looking at cashing in some Royal Caribbean Visa Rewards and the description says can be used for onboard spa packages, wine packages, gift shops, coffee shops and bars, excursions and specialty restaurants. Can the credit be applied toward gratuities? We have a drink package, excursions are paid for and I doubt we will go to a specialty restaurant.

Yes, it can be used for gratuities.

You can also use the points to pay down the balance on your cruise.

I used the card to pay the balance off on one cruise and once the points were in my account I used it to pay for the next cruise we have booked.

You could also do that for the same cruise. You just to have to pay off most of it early to allow for time for the points to post and then use the points to pay for the remaining amount due for the cruise.

Thanks Pia, Bob,

Good to know. I also spoke with a person from Royal Caribbean and she said that "complimentary" or "promotional" on board credit is use it or loose it but "purchased" credit is refundable.

Not sure what that means or why, but the card securing our cruise account is different.

Thanks again,

Dave

Complimentary or promotional OBC would be something given by Royal Caribbean as an example. If you get OBC for booking a particular cruise, that is promotional. If it is OBC given for some reason such as poor service by an employee, that would be complimentary. Purchased OBC is the OBC you get from using a Royal Caribbean Visa or if a Travel Agent has sent you OBC, as it is not something that Royal Caribbean gave you, it was from an outside source.

I'm sure there are other examples, but these are more common ones. Additionally, the non-refundable OBC is used first and when that is gone, the refundable OBC kicks in.