Connecting rooms or 4 in one room?

We had 4 of us in a balcony last year no problem (11 and 9) this year balcony sold out so are trying two inside connecting. I’m going to miss sitting on that balcony. I used it a lot. But it was still cheaper havungvtge two rooms.

We just sailed on Adv. last week and were lucky enough to have two connecting rooms. This was the first time our family of four (kids 10 and 3) sailed in two rooms and we enjoyed it so much that we’ll probably do it from now on if we can find the right price.

It was so worth it to us for reasons that others have already mentioned.

•Two bathrooms made it very quick easy to get showered and ready in the morning as well as everyone to get showered and changed after a long day at the beach.

•Drink package for only one adult if that better suits your needs.

•Four bottles of wine rather than two.

•A separate sleeping area that can remain dark and quiet for one of the kids (or adults!) to take a nap should the need arise.

•More storage space for unpacking clothes, etc.

•This last one is minor, but a second TV so the kids could each watch a different show before going to bed for the night.

After considering the money we saved on having to buy only one drink package rather than two this second room was almost the same exact cost as one room and two drink packages. If anything, less than $100 more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It all depends on whether or not that $1200 means a lot to you or not. Personally, if my kids were 3 and 5 like yours are, I would book the single room to take advantage of the KSF promo. We just did a cruise where the 3rd and 4th in the cabin were free for a 10 day cruise. We had our 14 and 16 year olds in the cabin (an inside cabin to boot). It was a bit cramped, but we only used the cabin for sleeping and changing basically. For kids of that age, I would highly recommend a 2nd cabin in most cases.

I am not sure what ship you were looking at, but many of them let you use the showers and facilities in the spa for free. If we are booking a cabin where we think not having enough washroom space will be an issue, we book very close to the spa and I just get one of the RCCL robes and go for a sauna and shower (real human being sized showers by the way) in the spa prior to getting dressed for dinner.

UPDATE: thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and made the switch today. I just can’t justify over $1200 for the extra space. I think I’d be happy paying $100 a night (or $700 total) for that second room, but $1200 will pay for our gratuities & drink packages so we can make it work, and have some leftover for another cruise! We should take advantage of KSF while the kids are still small, because as many of you pointed out, once they are teens that won’t be an option!

Of course I’ll be looking to see if the gap narrows between this room and 2 connecting rooms or a junior suite, but if not I’m quite happy with the price paid for this Spring break trip and I’ll remind myself of that as I’m tripping over my kids and their belongings in our tiny room! ;)

A warning note to people who book 2 rooms non refundable and want to later switch to a single room to take advantage of a promotion or upgrade to a suite: even though you’re not changing the sail date or ship, there is a $100 fee per person in the second room to make this change because technically that is a “cancellation” even though those people are still sailing. I was able to get RC to waive this by being persistent, spending the better part of an hour on hold, & explaining that I was told repeatedly that as long as we don’t change the ship or sail date we can change rooms on our sailing without penalty. I was told this repeatedly. I now know this nuance to the rules...won’t make that mistake again!

Thanks again for the input-I’ll be thanking you all when I make final payment and then cursing you all while I’m unpacking looking for a place to store my socks, underwear and beer koozies! 😜

UPDATE: thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and made the switch today. I just can’t justify over $1200 for the extra space. I think I’d be happy paying $100 a night (or $700 total) for that second room, but $1200 will pay for our gratuities & drink packages so we can make it work, and have some leftover for another cruise! We should take advantage of KSF while the kids are still small, because as many of you pointed out, once they are teens that won’t be an option!

Of course I’ll be looking to see if the gap narrows between this room and 2 connecting rooms or a junior suite, but if not I’m quite happy with the price paid for this Spring break trip and I’ll remind myself of that as I’m tripping over my kids and their belongings in our tiny room! ;)

A warning note to people who book 2 rooms non refundable and want to later switch to a single room to take advantage of a promotion or upgrade to a suite: even though you’re not changing the sail date or ship, there is a $100 fee per person in the second room to make this change because technically that is a “cancellation” even though those people are still sailing. I was able to get RC to waive this by being persistent, spending the better part of an hour on hold, & explaining that I was told repeatedly that as long as we don’t change the ship or sail date we can change rooms on our sailing without penalty. I was told this repeatedly. I now know this nuance to the rules...won’t make that mistake again!

Thanks again for the input-I’ll be thanking you all when I make final payment and then cursing you all while I’m unpacking looking for a place to store my socks, underwear and beer koozies! 😜

I would have done the same thing! That's a big price difference. When my kids were little, all 4 of us were in one room and it worked fine. Even with a connecting door, I would not have been comfortable having them in a separate room. However, now that they are teenagers, we have to get two rooms and there's no going back. Enjoy the one room price while you still can!

I would have done the same thing! That's a big price difference. When my kids were little, all 4 of us were in one room and it worked fine. Even with a connecting door, I would not have been comfortable having them in a separate room. However, now that they are teenagers, we have to get two rooms and there's no going back. Enjoy the one room price while you still can!

I agree that even with the connecting door we wouldn’t let the kids sleep alone next door. We might let them fall asleep next door but rearrange when mom & dad go to sleep. This November we have connecting rooms booked (it wasn’t much more than a single-definitely not a $1000+ difference), and I’m sure my wife & I will each take one kid when it’s lights out time (or both kids will sleep with my wife, leaving me a whole room to myself!)

I'm not sure of the room configurations but beware if you get a room with pullmans, your kids aren't old enough to use them so you and your wife will be sleeping in the bunks. Be sure to get a sofa bed.

Just an FYI...Myself and my 3 girls, 16, 18 & 20 shared an interior on Independence and we were just fine. If it were me, I would choose the one room for that kind of savings.

I'm not sure of the room configurations but beware if you get a room with pullmans, your kids aren't old enough to use them so you and your wife will be sleeping in the bunks. Be sure to get a sofa bed.

Just an FYI...Myself and my 3 girls, 16, 18 & 20 shared an interior on Independence and we were just fine. If it were me, I would choose the one room for that kind of savings.

Good point-these rooms have sofa beds so we should be good!

depends on a kid. Mine's been cruising since he was 3, and he was thrilled to have the Pullman bed. He is a very sound sleeper and doesn't fall off.

Same goes for my friends' kids (also started sailing at 3).

I would do one room and throw that savings at a drink package, excursion or right back into the vacation fund for your next cruise. The kids are young enough that it will be tight but not impossible. And i guess it all depends on how much time you spend in the cabin.