SkySuite or Aft CC Cabin?

SoonerFan20

I was doing the online check-in for our upcomming cruise on the Constellation and noticed that our cabin # had changed. We originally had an aft CC cabin on deck 8. We now have a SkySuite on deck 8 midship. Our TA said we were upgraded. Do you think this will be much better than our original cabin? I'd heard/read very good things about aft cabins and their large balconies and I can't imagine using the SS butler that much. This is our first cruise so excuse me if the answer is obviously slanted toward the SS. Thanks.

There is no way I would have accepted that "upgrade" and I would fight to get your original cabin back. Nothing beats those aft balconies and, after you consider the CC amenities, the SS doesn't really give you much of anything. The butler can be OK, but your room steward can actually do pretty much the same things.

We were in a Sky Suite on the Infinity to Alaska this summer. While it was very nice, size wise it isn't much bigger than a CC class cabin. As far as the butler, we rarely used him and truthfully have had as good of service from our room steward in a CC class cabin.

I have never been in an aft cabin, but do love the view off the back of the ship.

You may want to check the amenties offered to suite guests on the Celebrity website and compare those to CC class cabins before making your decision.

Good Luck!

Nancy

I probably would lean towards taking the SS. We have been in SS (although not in M-class) and in a aft balcony cabin (although not a CC cabin). You give up the bigger balcony (which is nice) but you get a bigger cabin (an additional 60 sq ft) with a much nicer bathroom. We have always enjoyed the extra personal service that comes with having a butler. I suppose it depends on how important the balcony is.

On the other hand, has your old aft CC cabin already been re-assigned (i.e is this a done deal?)?

Thanks all. My initial feeling (and I think some of you agree) was I might be getting screwed on this 'upgrade'. I talked to the TA and she said she could get our old cabin back if we wanted, but she said she would stick with the SS for the butler and the extra room in the cabin. As with many things it all comes down to personal preference I guess. I don't think we'll utilize the butler that often, but I also think the little extra room and nicer bathroom might be a better trade off for the extra large balcony (I'll leave the twister mat at home). I'm sure everything will be fine, I just had it set in my mind that the aft cabin was going to be great. We're going to keep the SS so if any of you get 8172 on the 1/14 departure, let me come back and have a look at what I'm missing - oh, and you're welcome!

Clint

I was doing the online check-in for our upcomming cruise on the Constellation and noticed that our cabin # had changed. We originally had an aft CC cabin on deck 8. We now have a SkySuite on deck 8 midship. Our TA said we were upgraded. Do you think this will be much better than our original cabin? I'd heard/read very good things about aft cabins and their large balconies and I can't imagine using the SS butler that much. This is our first cruise so excuse me if the answer is obviously slanted toward the SS. Thanks.

you are really going to get a mix of answers here. first thought. I don't think they should ever upgrade an assigned cabin without first asking the passenger. :mad: While I love aft cabins, and have had my share, I would still take the SS. The bathroom is wonderful. the full size table for dining is a big plus. Although you cant imagine using the Butler, (we couldn't either) YOU WILL> Just his service for breakfast alone is wonderful. A lot better then just getting a tray dropped off in your cabin in the morning.

You had a very nice cabin in the first place, but seriously a SS is so much nicer. NOW,, if you had had a FV corner aft, with the extra room. I would have to think long and hard about giving it up for a SS. :confused: The whirpool bath in the SS would be pulling on my arm..;)

I totally agree with you about it not being a good practice to upgrade without asking. I guess they assume that most people would jump all over something perceived as better because, hey, it's an 'upgrade' afterall.

We're really looking forward to our first cruise. If things go well we'll shoot for an aft cabin on the next one.

SOME UPGRADE! Unless you had purchased something like a Concierge Class Guarantee (is there such a thing?) that allowed Celebrity to do this as they saw fit, you should have been consulted. For most of us, this would definitely NOT be considered an upgrade. Truth to tell, pricing vs. cabins on these ships isn't entirely sensible (don't tell Celebrity!). Your neighbors in the FV cabins also pay less than for a suite, and get more space outside AND inside than a Sky Suite!

While we'll book a Sky Deck Sky Suite on the C-Class ships (Galaxy, Mercury, Century) to get better space, we'd take the aft CC over all but a couple of the Sky Suites (there are 2 with good and 2 with decent sized balconies) on M-Class, even if they offered us a Sky Suite at the same price.

I probably would lean towards taking the SS. We have been in SS (although not in M-class) and in a aft balcony cabin (although not a CC cabin). You give up the bigger balcony (which is nice) but you get a bigger cabin (an additional 60 sq ft) with a much nicer bathroom. We have always enjoyed the extra personal service that comes with having a butler. I suppose it depends on how important the balcony is.

On the other hand, has your old aft CC cabin already been re-assigned (i.e is this a done deal?)?

MAHDNC - if you had a Sky Suite on the Sky Deck of a C-Class ship, it's easier to understand where you're coming from. If you were down on a C-Class Penthouse deck, though, the only thing I'd say by way of comparison to the aft CC (not that they have them there, though) is that you've traded a lot of stretching out space for a nicer bathroom.

We've done C-Class SS, too (the only way to approximate the space of an aft CC on those ships), and my sense is that the large extension of "our" space in the M-Class aft CC cabins makes the overall feeling of the space larger than a Sky Suite with a dinky balcony.

MAHDNC - if you had a Sky Suite on the Sky Deck of a C-Class ship, it's easier to understand where you're coming from. If you were down on a C-Class Penthouse deck, though, the only thing I'd say by way of comparison to the aft CC (not that they have them there, though) is that you've traded a lot of stretching out space for a nicer bathroom.

We've done C-Class SS, too (the only way to approximate the space of an aft CC on those ships), and my sense is that the large extension of "our" space in the M-Class aft CC cabins makes the overall feeling of the space larger than a Sky Suite with a dinky balcony.

No, I have had a SS on the Penthouse Deck of C-Class which is comparable to SS on M-class in terms of balcony size and deck location. That is where I am coming from. Our opinions simply differ here on M-class SS vs aft CC, that is all.

I have to agree with mahdac as well. I would much prefer the sky suite over an aft. Honestly, the back of the ship for a cabin doesn't hold that much more appeal to me over the extra space. I didn't really use the butler much, but the few things we did use him for were great. Especially those early morning "tea and toast" deliveries as we watch the sun rise on our balcony.

I love going aft for sushi and sitting out there occasionally, but really don't miss not sitting out there full time. I'm also on the rare occasion prone to feeling slightly queasy when aft or fore so I stick to mid-ship for my room.

Nothing wrong with wanting the aft, it really just comes down to personal choice and preferences. As noted, there are pros and cons to each. I'll take the suite over aft, but I'm also happy with a good concierge as well(one of the extended balconies preferrably). I'm leaving those aft cabins for all those who are aft-loyalists! :D ENJOY the suite!

It's interesting that it is the OP's first cruise. I have had friends that have had aft cabins and it has been interesting to go back to visit, both at pierside and underway. Our friend that took the CC aft, bitterly complained about the service, and said that if they were to do it again, it would be in an SS.

Rick

It's interesting that it is the OP's first cruise. I have had friends that have had aft cabins and it has been interesting to go back to visit, both at pierside and underway. Our friend that took the CC aft, bitterly complained about the service, and said that if they were to do it again, it would be in an SS.

Rick

Have never had bad service back there. Then again, on any given cruise, I suppose it's possible to have good/bad service in any cabin. I guess if you assume you're going to have trouble, having both a cabin steward and a butler at your beck and call gives you the chance to recover if one or the other is a dud. Apart from that, I don't see how your friend believes moving to a different cabin will help. We've never had any problems with Celebrity cabin stewards, though.

BTW, if you read through the threads, you find that not all of the butlers are good, either, although the vast majority seem to be. Fortunately, that's never been a problem we've encountered, either.

Never thought it would matter - having "visited" suites while on M class ships. We were delighted with our CC side veranda cabins - that is until we were assigned 9162 on Millie in the Med this past May. No going back now I'm afraid. I'd happily pay suite price for a CC as long as it is aft - 9201 booked for TA next November and desperately trying to get an aft rather than side CC on Summit for April Hawaii Circle. Can't beat the views from the aft cabin in exotic ports of call (France was just unbelievably beautiful at sail away from our huge veranda with the coastline spreadout "behind" us - that, along with a good bottle of wine - doesn't get much better than that.) We do not spend time in the cabin other than sleeping and dressing so size of cabin is irrelevent to us - and I certainly have no desire to be "buttled".

But as already mentioned: to each his own.....but for this cruiser: give me an aft CC cabin on any M class ship and I'm a happy cruiser.

I am wondering about the view from the aft CC cabins. If you stand or sit right out by the railing, obviously the view would be great. But looking out from the cabin, it appears that about half of your view will be obstructed by the partitions on those deep balconies.

For example, here are a couple of photos that show what I am talking about

http://image20.webshots.com/20/8/93/57/232389357kcetjD_ph.jpg

Balcony 7203 picture - Webshots

There are extra panels on each partition blocking out scenery that would otherwise be visible from a normal sized balcony. Now while it is certainly nice to have space for reclining lounge chairs, unless you throw large parties, do you actually need or use all that extra depth?

Do those deep partitions really block as much of the view as they appear to do from the photos?

Do those deep partitions really block as much of the view as they appear to do from the photos?

The further out towards the rail you go, the better the view, but at the same time, you get a good deal of privacy as you move back towards your cabin. It's a good balance that isn't always easy to achieve elsewhere.

The visual effect is really of spaciousness and light. Unlike the solid steel panels on, say, the big Sky Deck Sky Suite verandas on C-Class, the panels are transluscent, and you get a lot of light that way and less of a "tunnel" feeling. Also unlike those C-Class SS, the partitions taper down as you approach the railing.

There's also something about the view including the ship's wake. You've probably enjoyed this from aft Deck 10 at one time or another, especially on at-sea days. Of interest, it's on the longer itineraries with a few at-sea days where we enjoy this the most. In order to understand the effect that seems to please so many of us, it'd be worth trying to sneak a peek next time you board one of these ships, but you need to have someone invite you up while moving at sea, too.

You have to have been there once in order to make a truly informed decision.

We've had verandas both side and aft, and when they're of more or less equivalent size, we've enjoyed the aft more. Not that it's possible, but if it were, I'd consider a trade for a Sky Deck Sky Suite like 1202 on C-Class, but would only consider that same trade on an M-Class if I were able to get a Sky Suite in 6131/6132/6145/6146.

The further out towards the rail you go, the better the view, but at the same time, you get a good deal of privacy as you move back towards your cabin. It's a good balance that isn't always easy to achieve elsewhere.

The visual effect is really of spaciousness and light. Unlike the solid steel panels on, say, the big Sky Deck Sky Suite verandas on C-Class, the panels are transluscent, and you get a lot of light that way and less of a "tunnel" feeling. Also unlike those C-Class SS, the partitions taper down as you approach the railing.

There's also something about the view including the ship's wake. You've probably enjoyed this from aft Deck 10 at one time or another, especially on at-sea days. Of interest, it's on the longer itineraries with a few at-sea days where we enjoy this the most. In order to understand the effect that seems to please so many of us, it'd be worth trying to sneak a peek next time you board one of these ships, but you need to have someone invite you up while moving at sea, too.

You have to have been there once in order to make a truly informed decision.

Canderson, you've had me interested in these aft cabins ever since you posted the photos of your FV cabin last year. As you know we got an FV cabin on a guarantee for our Connie cruise coming up in March. (You may remember my concern about getting "upgraded" to a Sky Suite on the guarantee). But I have to say this thread addresses the only concern DW and I have had about only being able to look "back" to where we have been and not seeing the scenery go by (important on Inside Passage cruises, but not so much on Carribean itineraries). Or even being lucky enough to have a good view while in port (given that a lot of the time we just pull in and aft cabins look back out to sea) where we like to sit back with a glass of wine and watch life go by.

All that said I appreciate the way you've postioned the value or potential of the aft view (notwithstanding the additional space which we value as you do). Our cruise is a repo so half our days are at-sea days (4 out of 8). You've got me looking forward to finding out how much we like the aft cabins during those days, too. Thanks for the well written post.

Here's lookin' back atcha.

Rick

I'm a little late to this post, but as an agency owner, I thought what follows might be of interest. I have NEVER tried to sell any customer on a sky suite. I have sold them, but only when the customer convinced me that this was what they wanted. I consider them the worst value in the industry. Here's a reason why: If you look at lowest balcony cabin rates on Royal Caribbean Voyager Class ships and Celebrity M class, you will notice that opening rates (the first price) is pretty much identical as is the square footage. However, a sky suite on M class is dramatically higher in price than the JS on Voyager class even though it is slightly smaller. Even more interesting is that the sky suite is still higher in price than the GS Grand Suite (which are MUCH bigger) on Voyager class. AND, more expensive than the to-die-for FV cabins on the same M class. I believe that the FV is worth more (bigger cabin and MUCH bigger balcony) than the SS and about the same as a CC aft cabin as my clientele prefers the larger balcony over the extra room space, especially in the warmer itineraries. So what's with the suite prices on M class? Classic answer: the butler did it! And apparently there are a lot of folks who are willing to pay a lot more money to get one. But I would bet that most would never even consider a SS again if they landed in an FV for just one night.

• 4 weeks later...

We sail X quite a lot. We really enjoyed ouraft CC on the Connie in the Baltic two years ago (even though it was cold, we sat out there every morning for breakfast--in our overcoats and warm hats--on the HUGE balcony)--but then we did a Sky Suite on the Infinity (Alaska) and LOVED the huge bathroom WITH TUB, which we really used a lot and enjoyed--soaking with champagne after a cold wet day was heaven! The closet is a walk-in closet--in an entry hallway--so you're not squeezing past each other. And the butler brings fabulous in-suite breakfasts, daily wonderful canapes, daily tea with lovely sandwiches and cakes, free cappuccino, etc., etc. You also get other little perks and invitations.... When we looked at a CC on the back, we realized HOW MUCH SMALLER AND CRAMPED that stateroom really is (and the tiny bathroom with not very nice shower stall)--and we decided we'd always prefer the suite.

Again, this is just personal preference, but I don't think the BATHTUB perk has been really mentioned.... (HAL, of course, has them in every room except the inside cabins, which is really a very nice thing!)

Hope this helps. (I DO agree no cruise line should just automatically upgrade people who booked a specific stateroom without first asking the PAX!!! Sometimes even the port/starboard choice means a lot to the individual who doesn't want it arbitrarily change.... Do other lines do that without asking? We've never been changed, so I don't know.)

THANKS for all the great input!

Mary-Lou

"Dr. FUN"

Sooner,

A lot depends on *which* SS they assigned you. The SS are not all equal. Some SS have very large balconies and cabins.

In any event, it is hard to go wrong with a upgrade to a SS. Look at it this way. You may never get another chance to get a SS unless you want to pay for it. But it will not be hard to get an aft CC for future cruises.

• 1 month later...
Trying to decide for Millenium cruise - price difference is $800. Thoughts?

unless you get a ss with a larger balcony i would take an aft CC.. other considerations are if you have a 3rd party in the room, then you might want the little larger cabin like the SS (butg still go for the ones with larger balconies).. we have 2 aft CC's booked on Millie next to each other and are hoping they will let us take the dividing partition down on the balcony.. anyone done this ?..enjoy your cruises all, no matter what cabin

Having been in an ss and cc aft., I have to say I much prefer the aft.

With the Concierge Class, you really get so many ammenities that only suites used to enjoy. We had a fabulous cabin attendant on our last cruise who really met all our needs.

Until they start building aft ss, I stay with the aft cc. I'd rather the larger balcony and view to an upgraded bathroom.

Archived