Mallorca - help needed for DIY

Trying to keep our budget under control. Can we bus it? Do they have a hop/on hop/off bus? Can we get to a nice beach to relax? Local shopping area?

The cost of tours is pretty hefty so if my daughter and I could do some easy walking, have a nice meal........ I'd be a happy camper.. (or cruiser)

Thanks much

Beth

Trying to keep our budget under control. Can we bus it? Do they have a hop/on hop/off bus? Can we get to a nice beach to relax? Local shopping area?

The cost of tours is pretty hefty so if my daughter and I could do some easy walking, have a nice meal........ I'd be a happy camper.. (or cruiser)

Thanks much

Beth

If you go through my posts you will get all the best information;

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2369657

To Answer the Questions They do have a hop on bus can be picked from cruise terminal will drop you in the center of town plenty to see and do.

/www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g187463-d11448088-City_Sightseeing_Palma_de_Mallorca_Hop_On_Hop_Off_Tour_with_Optional_Boat_Ride_or_.html&suppm=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuKWR1a2C3AIVFuEbCh167AnSEAAYASA

Beaches Just a bus ride away no 3 bus from Portopi which is across the the road from the cruise terminal -- see google maps

https://www.google.es/maps/dir/Cruise+Terminal,+Palma+de+Mallorca,+Estacio+Maritima+2,+Avinguda+de+Gabriel+Roca,+44E,+07015+Palma,+Illes+Balears/Illetes/@39.5451772,2.5990315,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x1297920e56bd227b:0xd030d5f49b4311b7!2m2!1d2.6266115!2d39.5528972!1m5!1m1!1s0x12978e76315eb417:0xa8d9c0f11249149f!2m2!1d2.5914696!2d39.539214!3e3?hl=en

Downtown is walkable and historic with a pedestrian street with normal shops and a fancier shopping street as well. Plenty of cafes and ice cream shops.

Since the new cruise terminal has been opened if you are one of the bigger ships you will be docking a long way away even from the entrance of the port and is at least 1.5 hour walk to the center of Palma. If you do dock there walk to PortoPi and get the No 3 bus.

• 2 weeks later...
Since the new cruise terminal has been opened if you are one of the bigger ships you will be docking a long way away even from the entrance of the port and is at least 1.5 hour walk to the center of Palma. If you do dock there walk to PortoPi and get the No 3 bus.

When did the new terminal open? I noticed today there is a fairly small ship (Seven Seas Voyager) docked down by Porto Pi, and that surprised me. When we were there, it seemed only the large ships were there. But I think there are multiple ships there today so maybe Seven Seas was the last to come in and got the worst berth.

Just in case someone is wondering, by "Porto Pi" do you mean the lighthouse, or a marking near the cruise dock?

When we were in Palma, we rented a car to go out into the countryside To get to the car rental place (Europcar, I think), we walked a little bit and then took a bus that went along the waterfront. That same bus went up to the cathedral and some other places that were of interest to tourists. Personally, the cathedral area is a bit of a walk for an older person like me, but I suppose for younger people it would be OK. But the bus was easy to take, the stops were were shown electronically inside, and so it made for a cheaper alternative to getting to tourist sites than taking the HoHo bus. I believe there's also a bus to the fort or castle that's not terribly far from the port. When we were there, there was a bus to the beach from the bus stop closest to the port.

You might find that the town or the cruise line will offer a shuttle to the Palma cathedral. One was available when we went.

Maybe my info has already been covered by Roger; if so, sorry! Palma is a nice stop. Been there twice now and enjoyed both times. Just hope you're not there on Sunday, as some things might be closed.

When did the new terminal open? I noticed today there is a fairly small ship (Seven Seas Voyager) docked down by Porto Pi, and that surprised me. When we were there, it seemed only the large ships were there. But I think there are multiple ships there today so maybe Seven Seas was the last to come in and got the worst berth.

Just in case someone is wondering, by "Porto Pi" do you mean the lighthouse, or a marking near the cruise dock?

When we were in Palma, we rented a car to go out into the countryside To get to the car rental place (Europcar, I think), we walked a little bit and then took a bus that went along the waterfront. That same bus went up to the cathedral and some other places that were of interest to tourists. Personally, the cathedral area is a bit of a walk for an older person like me, but I suppose for younger people it would be OK. But the bus was easy to take, the stops were were shown electronically inside, and so it made for a cheaper alternative to getting to tourist sites than taking the HoHo bus. I believe there's also a bus to the fort or castle that's not terribly far from the port. When we were there, there was a bus to the beach from the bus stop closest to the port.

You might find that the town or the cruise line will offer a shuttle to the Palma cathedral. One was available when we went.

Maybe my info has already been covered by Roger; if so, sorry! Palma is a nice stop. Been there twice now and enjoyed both times. Just hope you're not there on Sunday, as some things might be closed.

To clear up any confusion that might be caused by above post :

New cruise terminal opened in April .

https://majorcadailybulletin.com/news/local/2017/06/21/48308/palma-port-developments-for-improved-cruise-ship-service.html

With regard to the distance in to Palma old town :

www.whatsinport.com/Palma-de-Majorca.htm

Porto Pi is a Shopping center :

http://www.seemallorca.com/mallorca/shops/porto-pi-shopping-mall-palma-de-mallorca

Edited by roger b
wrong www