Cuba Intensive voyage and currency

aimee0715

We're on Journey for the November 10 Cuba Intensive voyage. I came across a post on the CC Cuba board that stated that everyone gets their CUC exchanged into USD before getting back on the ship. I was planning on getting Euros to exchange into CUC to avoid the 10% fee. I have read that you are prohibited from leaving Cuba with CUC in your possession. My question is, do they exchange our currency every time we reboard the ship or only when the ship is leaving that port? We will have 3 stops in Cuba with a stop in Grand Turk between 2 of the Cuba stops. The stop in Havana will be two days. If we have to exchange our currency every time we reboard the ship and they give us USD, it may be difficult to avoid the 10% fee.

I have gone with Euros and dollars. I seem to,spend my money. But I have walked back on shipmwith CUC each day I was there. The money people are there in morning but are long gone by the time I went out at night. I would get about 200 fir food and drink and a car tour. Rum varies but a good bottle 50,

Hi Aimee -- I've done some research on the money matter. As I understand, it isn't that you cannot bring CUC back to the US, but that there is no other place than Cuba to exchange them. So, you have a souvenir that might have more value that you wished! LOL I've been waiting to make a decision between Canadian money v. Euros to closer to the cruise date.

We took 30 Euros (March 2018) and exchanged them on our first day in our first port of call. The cash did us for the whole of the next 10 days, as there was nothing in the shops... nothing to buy. In the end, we gave our Cuban cash away, as we knew that we couldn't exchange it anywhere else outwith the island. There were mothers and grannies with babies begging in the streets, so... on our last day... that's where it went... to a Mum with her baby. No-one checked our cash at any time in any place.

Apparently 30 Euros is what a doctor earns a month in Cuba...... It's a lot of money there.

We're on Journey for the November 10 Cuba Intensive voyage. I came across a post on the CC Cuba board that stated that everyone gets their CUC exchanged into USD before getting back on the ship. I was planning on getting Euros to exchange into CUC to avoid the 10% fee. I have read that you are prohibited from leaving Cuba with CUC in your possession. My question is, do they exchange our currency every time we reboard the ship or only when the ship is leaving that port? We will have 3 stops in Cuba with a stop in Grand Turk between 2 of the Cuba stops. The stop in Havana will be two days. If we have to exchange our currency every time we reboard the ship and they give us USD, it may be difficult to avoid the 10% fee.

When I left Cuba a few weeks ago no one stopped me and asked if I had in CUC money left. I exchanged it one time when I first left the ship that morning, I did go out later that evening and spent the rest of my cash while I was out.

I went thru about 200 euros. i did a classic car tour. had lunch and dinner out. used taxi's to a show. went to different rum stores.

another trip i got art. not sure how anyone can use less than 30 euros. lunch with 2 drinks was about 10 CUC's but another day more. a bar i go to charge 4 or 5 fr a huge shot of 7 year old rum. I also had great coffees out

Could someone explain about the 10% fee? Is it levied on US dollars, but not on Euros?

Thanks

Susan

They charge a 10% fee to convert USD to CUC. They do not charge that fee on other currency such as Euros, GBP, or Canadian money.

This is a relief to know that I can keep some CUC if I want to. The way it has been worded in the things that I have read, I really thought they were probably going to search our pockets before we left! I like to keep some foreign currency as a souvenir so, frankly, I have been scheming about the best place to stash some in my belongings. At least now I can stop wondering what the penalty is for attempting to smuggle a few CUC, lol.

They charge a 10% fee to convert USD to CUC. They do not charge that fee on other currency such as Euros, GBP, or Canadian money.

And the same exchange rate will be at the bank and the port. We didn’t have to wait long in a queue to exchange money. Remember a little ‘generosity’ goes a long way in Cuba. Most have very little and we have so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Could someone explain about the 10% fee? Is it levied on US dollars, but not on Euros?

Thanks

Susan

As I understand, it has to do with the embargo .. Since the US is the only nation that has an embargo against Cuba - even tho' that has been changing - one of the relics is that American $$ are penalized.