Response re. George Smith's Disappearance

Eliger

For those interested in the George Smith's disappearance on RCCL, you can see the entire Factual Chronology as seen by Royal Caribbean Cruise Line at the following link: http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=rcl&script=410&layout=9&item_id=801085

Verrrry Interesting

Ok Scarborough Country - put that in your pipe and smoke it

Although it is a tragedy what happened, you have to wonder at people's behavior. Falling asleep in a hallway? Not noticing that your new husband is missing because he has already slept elsewhere on the cruise?

I hope they find out what happened.

OOOPS...sorry I posted almost the same thing after you...that's what happens when you go to read something and don't refresh this page. Sorry for posting almost the exact same thing.

Or that she had to be brought back to the room in a wheelchair after she was found sleeping in the hallway! And then still being in the clothes from the night before even though she went to the spa in the morning where they found her after the search for the missing passengers!

This whole thing is extremely strange.

Thanks for the information-site. We cannot help but wonder what happened when it is reported that passengers "went overboard", as we will be/have been passengers ourselves and we know how high the railings are on ships; unless there is extreme carelessness or possibly foul play, how do you fall off a ship? Reports that gain publicity are not always accurate, or are very one-sided... Then there are the stories about the insensitivity of the cruise line and we wonder some more, not only about what might have happened, but about how we might be treated during a terrible, personal situation on board. For that reason alone, I am really glad to have read the account that you brought to our attention. There seem to have been some very strange occurrences before, during and after this man's disappearance, and it sounds like Royal Caribbean gave serious and sensitive attention to his wife, contrary to some of the accounts; it appears that Royal Caribbean personnel can be backed up if need be by Turkish and American authorities. Thanks again.

Wow.....does anyone else besides me find the fact that someone's husband slept 'elsewhere' during their HONEYMOON cruise to be odd? Or the fact that she was found sleeping in a corridor?? Something is very strange about the whole thing.

...have thought from the get-go that there was something strange about this whole affair. Newly wed to a millionaire and he disappears under very suspicious circumstances? Then she gets a lawyer and won't talk to anyone? Hmmmmmm.

What I find curious is that she was even allowed to pass out ("fall asleep") in a hallway. Mind you I'm certainly no cruise expert, however as a night owl I tend to wander the halls exploring the ship. I would inevitably run into a crew member or fellow passenger here and there. I for one would certainly mention to the first crew member I found or at least use the nearest phone to advise of the passed out ("sleeping") or whatever status of a non vertical fellow passenger.:cool:

Also, did I miss it somewhere in the article or did they ever discover the whereabouts of the "third" guest? Who was it?

Another thing I find curious is that she was on her honeymoon and yet the next morning, she a)has no clue where her new hubby is and b) apparently could care less since she went for a spa treatment. Didn't she notice anything in the morning when she was getting ready to go to the spa? I for one would have at least called or gone to the friends' cabin just to check to see if he was ok. That would certianly be a bit more important to me than a spa treatment!

I'd bet some in the "drinking party" had wayyyyyy too many and the party got out of hand. Someone needs to fess up, that is if they ever remember it.

Just my humble armchair detective thoughts.

Knowing that these statements would be dissected very carefully, it's too bad that the proofreading wasn't better. I noticed 3 or 4 instances of missing words. But otherwise it appears RCCL handled things "by the book".

I agree, let's hear Scarborough now.

...have thought from the get-go that there was something strange about this whole affair. Newly wed to a millionaire and he disappears under very suspicious circumstances? Then she gets a lawyer and won't talk to anyone? Hmmmmmm.

I had the same reaction.

This whole story stunk from the beginning. I have seen this woman on the tv when she gave her side of the story and she did not strike me as remorseful over her husbands death at all. I never believed her story and never will. I have cruised many times with Royal Carribean and Celebrity and have always seen the captain and crew act in a very professional way. I am glad that Royal Carribean is finally fighting back. Pat

OOOOOOHHHHH...I wasn't aware he was a millionaire, or had a considerable amount of money. I was wondering if there was a large life insurance policy, but thought it would be rude to mention such a thing. But it wouldn't be the first time that someone has 'gotten rid' of someone for money. Very sad...I wouldn't trade my boyfriend in for any amount of money.

glad to read 'the other side of the story' - didn't know about DW sleeping in the hallway/wheelchaired back to room, nor did I know about the Spa schedule....certainly a strange scenario ...yes, who-done-it, may not even remember, but I'm guessing sooner-or-later the guilt will make them fess up, but how can the DW explain her apparant lack of caring of where her new DH was? very strange. Cruisers are best advised to remember a ship is a floating city - one should exercise the same caution on a ship that you would anywhere. Meanwhile, I was so saddened to read about the 3-yr old in HI who slipped through his balcony railing, 8 floors up while the whole family was on a holiday vacation. Caution All Ways & Always!

Funny when the "poor, sad, wife" was telling her story on TV she did not mention that she was passed out drunk in a hallway. Although it was obvious she was leaving a lot of the story out. On their HONEYMOON! and they did not know where the other person was half the time?!? I don't believe anything she says!

A couple weeks ago, "People" magazine has a multi-page article about folks who disappeared during a cruise.

EmJake said it best....quote "Cruisers are best advised to remember a ship is a floating city - one should exercise the same caution on a ship that you would anywhere." No safer to get drunk onboard ship than downtown in any city.

Wonder if we'll ever get the whole story; my guess is we won't.

This quote is from the newlywed, Mrs Smith, about her honeymoon cruise:

"Remembering the 10 a.m. his-and-her massages she had booked at the spa two flights up, she said she did not bother changing out of her sundress from the night before, slipped on her flip-flops and left the room, assuming that her husband must have slept at a friend's"

In addition to what everyone else has already pointed out, I found it very odd that at around 0445 in the morning she was so intoxicated that she needed to be wheeelchaired back to her room. Then, miracously, she was able to get to the spa at 0830 for her massage. Just fours hours earlier, she was unconscious and unable to walk on her own. I'm surprised she hasn't had more focus put on her for this investigation.

In addition to what everyone else has already pointed out, I found it very odd that at around 0445 in the morning she was so intoxicated that she needed to be wheeelchaired back to her room. Then, miracously, she was able to get to the spa at 0830 for her massage. Just fours hours earlier, she was unconscious and unable to walk on her own. I'm surprised she hasn't had more focus put on her for this investigation.

Yeah I just watched the interview with her on Scarbourgh County (I may have misspelled that) and I didn't get a great vibe from her. She kept saying over and over how the FBI told her not to answer certain questions, but Royal Caribbean offered more information in their statement. One of the articles I read online stated that a witness saw her and her husband at a bar onboard VERY drunk and having an argument, supposedly she kicked (kneed) him in the groin during this altercation.

Archived