Alaska Cruise

TTU cruiser

Hey everyone, looking for a little advice on my next cruise. My wife and I have visited all of the ports in the Caribbean with 2 cruise lines and are looking at an Alaska cruise for our next adventure. I'm looking for some general info on what to expect and some tips for cruising Alaska versus the Caribbean. Looking at the Norwegian Bliss next June for a birthday/anniversary cruise. Thanks in advance!

We did the inaugural cruise on the Bliss June 2-9 and had a fantastic time with some great excursions as well - Zodiac Boats and Helicopter/Dog sledding being the best. Loved the crew on the Bliss - perhaps the best we have ever cruised with. Bring layered clothing, rain gear, and be ready for anything. I can't imagine you not loving it!

Hey everyone, looking for a little advice on my next cruise. My wife and I have visited all of the ports in the Caribbean with 2 cruise lines and are looking at an Alaska cruise for our next adventure. I'm looking for some general info on what to expect and some tips for cruising Alaska versus the Caribbean. Looking at the Norwegian Bliss next June for a birthday/anniversary cruise. Thanks in advance!

If you can fit it into your schedule, try to add a couple of days to your adventure to see the City of Seattle.

Hotels in downtown Seattle tend to be expensive. The Waterfront Marriott is directly across the street from the pier. The historic Edgewater Hotel is right next door.

If you are a baseball fan check to see if the Seattle Mariners are in town. Safeco Field is just at the South edge of downtown. There is a Silver Cloud Hotel across the street from the stadium.

Most of all enjoy.

We did the inaugural cruise on the Bliss June 2-9 and had a fantastic time with some great excursions as well - Zodiac Boats and Helicopter/Dog sledding being the best. Loved the crew on the Bliss - perhaps the best we have ever cruised with. Bring layered clothing, rain gear, and be ready for anything. I can't imagine you not loving it!

How were the pools? My wife and I are big fans of hanging out by the pool occasionally getting in. Are the pools heated, otherwise I would imagine them being too cold?

If you can fit it into your schedule, try to add a couple of days to your adventure to see the City of Seattle.

Hotels in downtown Seattle tend to be expensive. The Waterfront Marriott is directly across the street from the pier. The historic Edgewater Hotel is right next door.

If you are a baseball fan check to see if the Seattle Mariners are in town. Safeco Field is just at the South edge of downtown. There is a Silver Cloud Hotel across the street from the stadium.

Most of all enjoy.

Luckily my in laws have some good friends that live in Seattle, so the plan is to stay with them for a couple days. That takes care of hotel issues as well as having great tour guides! I am a fan of baseball, so a Seattle game would be great. I've been lucky to plan cruises around home games for Houston Astros, Miami Marlins, and Anaheim Angels. It would be great to mark Safeco Field off the list of ballparks I've visited.

How were the pools? My wife and I are big fans of hanging out by the pool occasionally getting in. Are the pools heated, otherwise I would imagine them being too cold?

We did the Pearl 2 years ago at the end of June and did spend some time swimming, even on a 55 deg day while at sea. The pools were heated, except for one time. My then 6yo DD and I were in one pool on the last full day and it was nice and warm. It was about time to get out so I gave her a 5 min warning and she asked if we could go in the another pool one last time. So we got out and jumped in the other pool without testing it and quickly got out when we realized it was freezing. Not sure if they had changed the water out and it had not heated up or what but we still laugh about it.

The Bliss will take over the Pearl's itinerary next year so if you want to read my trip report I have it linked below in my signature. It includes what we did in Seattle including a Mariners game and the ports as well as pics of our excursions.

I you have not already done so check out the Alaska Forum as well as the West Coast departure Forum

Alaska is all about the ports. Plan to do excursions either with the boat or privately. They will be expensive, this is not a trip to try to do "on the cheap". In Juneau we did whale watching with Alaska Humpback Adventures - very, very pleased. We also dis the Tracy Arm Fjords excursion to get up close to the glacier and other sights. I also very, very strongly recommend that excursion.

Lastly, go over to the Alaska ports forum - lots of good information there.