Directions to San Juan Forts?

ashton57

Last time we sailed the Magic we had a port day in San Juan. We wanted to go see the forts but ended up running into a dead end. Had a hard time getting directions because everyone we tried asking didn’t speak English. We turned left off the pier crossed the street and walked a bit before running into a dead end. Some sort of wall and then we gave up and just went shopping across from the cruise port. Can someone tell me how to get to these forts from the cruise port. We are going back at the end of this year. Should we make a left and walk along the water the whole way? The maps I’m seeing online are a bit confusing. Thanks for any help :)

Last time we sailed the Magic we had a port day in San Juan. We wanted to go see the forts but ended up running into a dead end. Had a hard time getting directions because everyone we tried asking didn’t speak English. We turned left off the pier crossed the street and walked a bit before running into a dead end. Some sort of wall and then we gave up and just went shopping across from the cruise port. Can someone tell me how to get to these forts from the cruise port. We are going back at the end of this year. Should we make a left and walk along the water the whole way? The maps I’m seeing online are a bit confusing. Thanks for any help :)

Try using the free trolley, as some of the routes visit both forts. You can Google for the different routes and stops. There is a trolley stop very close to the pier.

It was a couple years ago but i printed out a “walking tour” map of old San Juan and it got us to el Moro. Saw the fountain, an old church, had a pina colada at barrachina, and other stuff. Second trip we walked up the hill to the other fort.

Turn left off the pier, cross the street and head generally uphill or left. If you hit a wall going left, go up. We enjoyed the wandering.

We were there last month and toured both forts. We originally planned to take the free trolley system. We turned left from the pier to head to trolley stop #14 (had read it's always less crowded than #1 right by the pier), but waited forever and one never came, so we just walked to San Cristobal. You can see it as you pull into the port. It's pretty much directly up the hill from the port. We just walked north 3-4 blocks, then turned right (east) and ended up in front of Plaza Colon. From there, you can see San Cristobal. The trolley stops right out in front. We had to wait about 10 minutes for one to show up and it took us to del Morro. When we were done there, we walked to the Cathedral of San Juan Bautista and back to the ship. The port is only about a 15-20 minute walk from del Morro.

3def6f8d8e6c9fb0824775e37f8ebb5b.jpg

See map image - it’s about a 9 min walk. We usually use Google maps in most port stops to get around. If you have Verizon, it’s only about $5 per day to activate your phone and use your domestic data plan. MUCH better than those crappy port shopping maps they hand you as you get off the ship.

"because everyone we tried asking didn’t speak English"

seriously, most people speak english, there are tons of vendors right outside the ship and they all speak english, everyone in CVS spoke english and a few police officers we talked to spoke english.

If you have Verizon, it’s only about $5 per day to activate your phone and use your domestic data plan. MUCH better than those crappy port shopping maps they hand you as you get off the ship.
Verizon works in San Juan without any special plans since it's a U.S. territory. Same goes for most U.S. cell carriers. I have Cricket (now owned by AT&T) and it worked flawlessly for calls and data.

When I'm going to be somewhere where I can't use data, I log in to Google Maps on my phone with my Google account before we leave home and download a bunch of offline maps of places we'll be.