Dinning questions

newbie280106

Hi, I have a few dinning related questions.

We're travelling on RCI's Voyager if that matters.

1) Are there midnight buffets everynight or just one?

2) I've heard of a chocolate midnight buffet, is this true?

3) Is lobster night standard? I've read several bad reviews re. lobsters overcooked, anybody agree/disagree?

4) We're going to be trying out portifino's one night, most likely on a formal night. Any reasons for us to choose to skip on of the formal nights over the other?

5) How do they assign your table mates?

6) Is it standard to be able to order more than one entree/app/dessert?

Thanks!

1. Just one Gala Midnight Buffet. Some cruise lines have stopped the buffets altogether because of the high cost and waste of food.

2. There is a chocolate buffet, but it's up on deck next to the pool.

3. Lobster is served on one of the formal nights. You do not want to miss the main dining room formal nights because they really are something special.

4. Save Portofinos for a non-formal night. Formal nights are something special and you don't want to miss those in the main dining room.

5. Assigning tablemates is just the luck of the draw. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason. Some will say they try and sit you with people of similar age or other reasons, but after more than 40 cruises, I've been assigned to sit with older people, families, singles, honeymooners and just about everyone else.

6. You can order as much as you want, but believe me, you're really full after eating appetizer, salad, soup, main course and the dessert.

Just one addition to Kitty9's response. Instead of midnight buffets, RCCL has a few waiters pass snacks (finger food) in several public areas starting about 11:30 PM. However, not many people know they are doing so.

Many folks find formal night in the dining room something special as was stated above. Maybe you should try it once just to see. Actually it has no appeal to me whatsoever and my husband even less.

My husband and I dress in formal attire to conform to the dress code, but we go to Portofino or Chops on formal nights. Perhaps it is lucky for us our opinion is a minority opinion or it would be too hard to get a reservation at the alternative dining restaurants.

Archived