Has anyone been to San Juan or St. Maartin lately?

BonnieSte

I was wondering how they are faring now?

Thanks

I was in San Juan in January and the Condado area seemed like it was pretty close to being back to pre-hurricane condition. They are still experiencing island wide black outs due to the ancient equipment they have, but if you're planning on staying the the Condado or Old San Juan area, you should be fine.

Just returned from a two-week land vacation in Puerto Rico. Traveled all over the island and also Culebra, didn't experience any power loss. A few traffic signals are not working in San Juan area and more in the interior of the island. July 4th saw large festive crowds on the beaches. Life is returning to normal -- favorite sight: seeing two older couples dance the afternoon away in a quaint moutaintop bar.

Old San Juan is up and running as well as Condado. I was thrilled to see nearly all of the kiosks in Luquillo operational and full of customers.

El Yunque took a beating, much of it is still closed, but LaCoca Falls and some of the trails are now open.

All over the island, mother nature has renewed things with an abundance of flowers and greenery. The magnificent Flamboyan trees were in full bloom, even in the various post-Maria shapes that some survived in. Lots of signs of trees taking a "hair-cut", but the beauty has returned and will get more gorgeous each day.

The people are upbeat and very happy to see visitors returning.

I was wondering how they are faring now? Thanks

Old San Juan seems to have fared all right. However, other areas are still in recovery mode, and many residents are still without power. I think the same could be said for St. Maarten. Orient Beach suffered a lot of damage. There are no bars, no restaurants, no restrooms, or much of anything else yet. There are several videos posted on Youtube of the hurricane damage done to both islands.

On St. Maarten the dutch side was up and running in May. The French side is another story. We did go to Orient Beach and a few things are open but could not find any bathrooms. They pointed to the water.