Juneau vs CLIA lawsuit

Boatdrill

Thanks for posting this, but I think CLIA may be off base with a lawsuit (without knowing what they think they know , of course.) Juneau's port facilities are very guest friendly in my experience with benches, good signage, clean, and well maintained. In fact, I have yet to experience an Alaskan port whose guest facilities are unsatisfactory.

Thanks for posting this, but I think CLIA may be off base with a lawsuit (without knowing what they think they know , of course.) Juneau's port facilities are very guest friendly in my experience with benches, good signage, clean, and well maintained. In fact, I have yet to experience an Alaskan port whose guest facilities are unsatisfactory.

I read it to mean that CLIA thinks they are charging too much per passenger and is concerned that the monies collected are not being used exclusively for passenger ammenities/services as intended. Not that the facilities are in any way substandard.

I think they are accusing Juneau of pocketing $8 per pax per ship and directing it into non-cruise related projects. Where taking (arbitrary number here) would be more in line with other ports and should be reserved for port facilities, services and staff. It doesn't sound unreasonable. If the charge is supposed to be directed to those items then that's where it should go.

That's how I read the article anyways. Obviously I haven't read the lawsuit

I don't recall the details, but I think there have been other issues between the cruise lines and the taxes that Alaska charges.

A relative who lives in Anchorage told me once: "There is a love/hate relationship between the cruise lines and the citizens of the 49th State." Watching the arrival of the first of the season cruise ship, a HAL vessel, on the Juneau web cam in 2017, I heard a gentleman say, "Well, there goes the neighborhood." This lawsuit is simply another "chapter" in that story, I think.