Babies on a cruise

Carnival has pack-and-plays available on board, complimentary. They also have strollers for a nominal fee (I've always brought my own).

At 6 months or a year the baby will be eating at least some solid foods, so you can find a lot for them to eat on board. Yogurt, cereal, fruit, scrambled eggs ... plenty of stuff for little ones who don't have teeth yet. You can skip the distilled water and use tap water, it's perfectly safe to drink. And we usually take one package of diapers and grab another small package in port if we run out.

It's really pretty easy. Yes, you have to pack a lot, but you have to do the same any time you leave the house with an infant. It's still a vacation. Even better, you have zero responsibilities so mom and dad can take naps with the baby. Take advantage of the babysitting for a night or two and have a date. You can still have a fantastic time, you just have to have realistic expectations. And cruising is just as safe as driving around your hometown. Probably safer, in many cases.

Obviously it is up to you and you'll have to decide if that's the kind of cruise you want. It certainly is different than cruising adults only, but it can still be fun. I guess I just don't see why everyone is acting like it's a major undertaking. We've always traveled with our kids, and it's been fantastic. So many priceless memories. Even if they won't remember, I will.

I mean, even if your daughter told you 9 months out, that baby will be OLD enough to cruise.

SHOULD they cruise with the baby? Up to them, the baby's parents- not so much the grandparents. They're the ones who should be making the decision about what is best for the baby.

I guess it depends on how young that baby was. You can not cruise under 6 months-- the baby must be 6 months by the date of sailing-- not 5.5 ether

something to consider-- noravirus is a great risk on a cruise ship. The earliest we cruised with a baby was 18 months. Cant utilize camps until 2 years on carnival

Pay all that money for an infant to cruise-- as they pay the same going rate as the others--3rd or 4th passenger rate

This decision is up to the new mom and dad.

For me and my family I would not cruise with a 6 month old.

We traveled with our infants but not a cruise, found renting a beach house to be a much better option. The confined space and risk of exposure to illness is to high. Cruises contain people from all over the world and the baby will be exposed to common viruses their little immune systems have not dealt with before. While there are medical staff on the ship they do not have neo natal equipment that could be needed for a real health emergency. As this baby isn't born yet you have no idea if it will be strong healthy baby as I am sure everyone on this board myself included wishes for you. Reality is that is not always the case. Personally we had one healthy and one NICU baby. Our son had travel restrictions/recommendations put in place by his physicians until he was over 2. He is now a almost 6' tall healthy 14 YO.

Traveling with infants sounds wonderful and easy and fun but truth is its just home on the road (or sea) to the baby. They need everything they need at home. Babies need to keep their regular schedule, time to eat sleep and play. When they cry and babies will cry, even with lots of loving arms to held and care its not just babies cabin that wakes up its also the cabins near you.

If mom and dad decide to go and will they be able to take more time off so close to the birth? Make sure you have travel insurance to give yourselves some peace of mind.

Our son turned 8 months old on his first cruise (also my husband's first). We all had an amazing time.

A few suggestions that made our trip easier:

Stroller that lays back so little one can nap while exploring the ship/on shore.

Small pop-up tent for beach days (pictured below).

Collapsible play station/seat (we used KidCo gopod pictured below).

Cozy Cover seat (turns any dining type chair into a high chair - stock photo, not my own).

It seems like a lot to pack, but everything mentioned folds up and doesn't take up much space at all.

For diapers, we took an unopened case with a luggage tag on them and it was more than enough for the entire trip.

If you have any questions, let me know!

484477084_Screenshot_20180713-104554_Amazon20Shopping.thumb.jpg.0f8573bcea3aa8ff13ff5fa30ede7bbb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

20180713_102515.jpg.d45627fa75557c17401f6507cedbc00c.jpg

FB_IMG_1531491882526.jpg.e2b22d9dca9b146969f7f5d07156b2cb.jpg