Amsterdam arrives in San Diego

GAJE

Thanks for posting the website link, Jim. When I looked at that lengthy web address, I knew there was no way I would duplicate it correctly. I am only aware of that San Diego Marina website because of the folks on this Board. When I first saw the link, I immediately added it to my favorites so have never had to deal with the nitty-gritty aspect of the address.

Betty

Hi Greg,

What wonderful photos - they bring back so many cherished memories. Oh, that's right, I just got off the Amsterdam about 7 hours ago now.:D

It was a sensational cruise. The first couple of nights out of San Diego we had some rough sailing thanks to the storms "coming down from Alaska", and my daughter and granddaughter were not feeling too well (I'm from "an Island Nation" - The U.K. - so I have seawater in my veins) but after that it was pretty much smooth sailing and time to party. The Amsterdam is just as beautiful as she has always been and the "upgrades" only make her even better.

I chose to take my daughter and younger granddaughter on this particular sailing because my "Indonesian son" was aboard the ship, and I wanted them to meet their newest relative. I was even more delighted to find out that my old friend of many, many years, Kiki Basuko, is the Maitre D' aboard the ship. They now think that they have yet another new relative. I'm sure that the people at neighboring tables wondered how come we always had such good service and why the Maitre D' stopped by every night to spend several minutes chatting with us (maybe they thought that we were having too much fun and that the Maitre D' was there to read us a list of complaints and suggest that we "cool it" for a while:D ).

I actually thought about going out on deck early this morning and waving like crazy just in case anybody from the board was checking out our arrival. Now I wish that I had done so. I did look over at "your hotel" Greg and wondered how many HAL people were staying there, watching the ships come in, and thinking excitedly about their upcoming cruises.

It was my daughter's and grandaughter's first cruise ever and now they are totally hooked on HAL. In fact my daughter, a critical care nurse, went down to the Medical Center and asked all kinds of questions. Now she is seriously considering applying for a job on a ship during the summer when Emily is out of school for three months. I hope that she remembers to ask for a cabin structured for three passengers!

Greg, I hope that your upcoming cruise (only a few hours left to go now) is every bit as enjoyable as ours was. Thanks again so much for the photographs of our arrival, and that of the Ryndam (my favorite ship - the Amsterdam being a very close second).

Rita (Kryos) - if you are able to read this in a day or two - I know that you are the on the glorious Amsterdam headed for the South Pacific. Have a wonderful time. You are sailing with a really nice bunch of crew and staff members.

I am envious of both of you (Greg and Rita) and I'm starting to save my money for my next HAL adventure.

Happy cruising everyone, oh and "Aloha nui nui".

Valerie

Rev. Greg Neal:

I enjoyed your pictures.Seeing a ship heading toward Hawaii reminds of my own traveling there a couple of months ago. Wish I was on the ship but there is work to be done here. Thanks for sharing them.

I enjoyed your pictures.Seeing a ship heading toward Hawaii reminds of my own traveling there a couple of months ago. Wish I was on the ship but there is work to be done here. Thanks for sharing them.

You're very welcome, and thank YOU. Yes, Hawaii is a wonderful cruise and I look forward to going again in October 2006. However, you are RIGHT ... there is work to be done at home. We can't be cruising ALL the time. :)

However ... I start cruising ... TODAY. :D

Thanks so much for these great pix. As I mentioned on an earlier post we were supposed to go with friends on the Amsterdam, and more thanks to you, we got to see pictures other than from the web cam of the Amsterdam departing.

grannynurse, It's a bummer than you were not able to sail on her for this cruise. I was having to swallow down more than just a little bit of jealousy over those getting to make that 30 day cruise on the Amsterdam. But ... now that my ship has come in and is sitting out at the pier, ready for me to board, I don't feel quite as "bad." :D

Bless you, grannynurse. You'll be on another ship yet.

Archived