Orlando to Port Canaveral

KY Deb

We are considering a cruise on the Sensation in April and were wondering how everyone transports from the Orlando airport to the ship. I realize there are ship transfers, but there are 6 of us, and I was wondering if there is a private shuttle service that might be less expensive or if renting a car is an option. I'm sure this has been addressed at some point, but I'm too lazy to go back and research!! Thanks!

They do have the ship transfers.

There are private van and car services (sedans and limos) you can hire.

You can rent a car and drop it off at the local Coco Beach drop off and get a ride to the ship. (I did this when I was staying at Coco Beach 3 days before the cruise)

All depends on how much you want to spend and if you want to be alone or sitting w/folks on the bus or van.

We rented a car. It was very easy. Pick one that has cars right at the airport, that way you don't have to shuttle to the car rental place. Avis is right at the airport and their cars are right across the street from baggage claim (at least they were in '03). There were only 4 of us plus baggage so we got an Aztec (Astek?). You might need a van. There is an Avis agency near the port that you can drop the car off at and they will shuttle you over to the ship.

We have used Florida Towncar, and heard good things about Happy Limo. Both were about $200 R/T for a 10 passenger van (we travel as a group of 7).

We have also rented a minivan, and parked at the port. It was pretty darn tight with the luggage, but the numbers worked out better this year, and we saved $50 over the towncar option.

I've never rented one way to the port, but I know a lot of people do it. Budget is the only rental company (I THINK) that has a drop off at Cocoa Beach with shuttle service to the port.

After our Glory cruise we used National Car Rental because they had the best price that week. They don't have a shuttle and told us to use Yellow Cab. I had one on the way but the port people called over a Virginia Cab van. We were tried to get a straight answer from her about the price and she told my husband it would only be a couple dollars more than the $14 from Yellow cab so she loaded us up. Then we find out she wanted $2 per bag (the five of us had 10 bags). Anyway, we never left port and port authority got involved because the driver was very hostile. The port authority "wrote her up." We found out Virgina Cab had charged someone $45 dollars for the same short trip the previous week.

Ended up on yellow cab in Canaveral and they were great for $14 plus tip. We should've stuck with them from the start, but we had too many tired people making decisions.

We are going to Port Canaveral next April also. Are you planning on flying in the day of the cruise or a day early? We are going a day early to avoid hassles and any delays. With the research I have done, we will rent a car from Budget at the airport and return it the next day. They will shuttle you to the pier. For a group your size you may want to drop everyone else off before taking the car back. When I was looking at prices, I think I saw a van for $100. Also, look into mears transportation. Also, with renting, you can stop at the store for any last minute purchases. Have a great cruise and stay on these boards for all the info you need.

I always use the transfers from carnival....They are easy to find, you will not get lost or have to deal with traffic and the ride from orlando to port canaveral is a short one....We had a cool driver that showed us some sites and had some bad jokes to tell to entertain us....

Renting a car is the option to take if you are planning on flying in the day before. What hassle? You will have the car to go at your own leisure, stop when you want. I can understand if flying in the morn of the cruise. Aren't Carnival shuttles usually more expensive?

We also are flying in the day before and renting from Budget, returning in Cocoa Beach. We want to play around in Orlando, and for $32 for a rental, you can't beat it! We will take a transfer/shuttle from Carnival back, as we are flying home the day we disembark. It is only $25 pp. Yes, renting is cheaper for the way back too, but it is too much hassle for just a couple of hours. Value vs. expense. Renting is more of a value when you have more time to use it and want to go multiple places.

We have used Florida Town Car service also and were very happy with them. If you can do that at $200 roundtrip that would be great. I would also check Arts Shuttle. I think they are a little cheaper. Transfers from the Cruiseline (Mears) will cost you 50pp rt ($300 total).

Sorry! Saw the (Mears) and didn't pay attention to the rest. Thanks for pointing that out.

I only noticed it because I have been studying these posts to decide how we will get from Orlando to Port Canaveral. Still kicking around the rental car thing, so we can stop and pick up some soda and wine to take on board.

:confused:

I just checked on Budget for the date we need, and we can rent a mini-van for $65 each way. I've read here where Budget has a shuttle to the port from their office in Cape Canaveral. I wonder if they have a return shuttle from the ship to their rental office. I guess it would be easy enough to call and ask. It would save us about $170 over Carnival transfers, so it would be worth it to do this if it is not too difficult.

I remember going through the same thing when we were on the Glory. Called car rental, limos, compard prices (and attitudes) and we finally settled on a towncar, (can't remember which one though), cost $179 for two people, but we got to the port way earlier than the shuttle, got on the ship early, avoided crowds at emarbarkment. It was round trip so he was there waiting as we sadly left the ship. But one of our better memories of that cruise, is we stayed at the La Quinta, Airport, went the day before. They have a shuttle from the airport, very quick, and they also took us to Chili's, our choice, for dinner where they had buy one get one free drinks!!! Quite the reverse of our prior trip to New Orleans!!! :mad: another story lol

We rented from Budget this past October, great and EASY experience. We got the car from Orlando airport and drove to Cocoa and stayed at the Doubletree. The next morning, ate breakfast and dropped the car at the

Budget office in Cocoa. Took their shuttle to the port.

When our cruise was over, we had a late flight and I had made prior reservations for another car at Budget. Budget picked us up from the parking lot across from the terminal and took us to their office where we got another car. Drove back to Orlando and hit the Outlet shops before heading to the airport to drop off the car.

It was a very easy experience. Don't rent from National as they do not have a shuttle to the port.

Hope this helps.

Sue

Archived