Iona

Mrs applehead

On 11/10/2018 at 12:48 PM, Presto2 said:

I think that Carnival has a plan for P&O and sadly I don't think it is for it to be the traditional line that it was and is now (sort of). When we were on Britannia on the Behind the Scenes Tour Paul Brown said that the future was big ships for P&O. That was in 2015 and it is certainly proving to be true.

I think that P&O will be Carnival's lower end of the market, cheep and cheerful, family orientated, more casual line and they will try to push anyone who wants something a notch up to Princess.

Just my thinking

I fear that you are right, we have come to the same conclusion and 2 of our 3 cruises that we have booked for 2019 are with Princess. We have booked one on Azura for 2020 but are now looking at other lines for other 2020 cruises.

We all have to decide what we want from our cruises and for us that choice means we need to spend a little more to hopefully get a cruise that is a better fit for us.

On 11/12/2018 at 10:31 AM, terrierjohn said:

Saga will shortly have a brand new ship, CMV has acquired newer ships from Carnival recently, but Fred's newest ship is Braemar which was built in 1993, the other two date back to the 70's.  Surely they must be making enough profits at their prices to update their fleet?

I would love to sail on Saga's new ship - she looks an absolute beauty to me - but sadly their prices are pretty high, even though they include a lot more.

I am not a loyal Fred cruiser but I think you are maybe being a little unfair to them there.  As you say, they have Braemar from 1993, Balmoral from 1988 and then Black Watch & Boudicca - both 1972.  CMV have Astoria from 1948(!), Marco Polo from 1965 and then their 'new' ones Magellan from 1985 and Columbus from 1989.  Fred appears to have carried out quite a lot of upgrading to their older ships but I understand the CEO has not ruled out a new-build at some point.

We all want something different from a cruise.  Having sailed on the 1965, 22,000 grt Marco Polo and the 2010, 113,000 grt Azura, I would choose Marco Polo over Azura any day.  Others would think I am bonkers :classic_biggrin:

On 11/7/2018 at 2:14 PM, Monorail Orange said:

I know I've said it before, but I can see a time where Azura and Ventura are both called "our classic small ships".

An interesting train of thought.

When I started cruising in the early 1990s a typical cruise ship displaced around 25k to 30k tonnes and carried between 600 and 800 passengers. The 49K 1700 passenger Canberra was enormous, the 70k 1800 passenger QE2 gigantic - almost as big as the legendary 81k 2100 passenger Queen Mary. All these would now be classed as mid size ships.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

We have just returned from a P&O cruise where we were told that as a company policy the Iona will not have Ballroom Dance hosts or provision for dancing even on the scrappy Atrium floors that suffice on Brittania, Ventura etc.

Apparently they want a younger customer profile. Good luck with that as it may mean that filling this 5000 pax vessel will be difficult outside school holidays.

We have used P&O a number of times and choose them for several reasons, not least being the opportunity to dance in the evenings. It may only be a small number of dancers but there are always a lot of people who like to sit, drink and watch the dancing.

This marketing decision means that we will definitely not be cruising on the Iona.

4 minutes ago, John Castle said:

We have just returned from a P&O cruise where we were told that as a company policy the Iona will not have Ballroom Dance hosts or provision for dancing even on the scrappy Atrium floors that suffice on Brittania, Ventura etc.

Apparently they want a younger customer profile. Good luck with that as it may mean that filling this 5000 pax vessel will be difficult outside school holidays.

We have used P&O a number of times and choose them for several reasons, not least being the opportunity to dance in the evenings. It may only be a small number of dancers but there are always a lot of people who like to sit, drink and watch the dancing.

This marketing decision means that we will definitely not be cruising on the Iona.

This was noted when plans first came out. For me this doesn't matter (and I'm not one of the younger crowd). But the issue of no club dining does matter.

28 minutes ago, John Castle said:

Us too!

37 minutes ago, John Castle said:

We are the 'watchers' who don't dance but find it a big part of cruising for us. 

I want to try Iona, but they are taking away some of the things we enjoy, so getting more pessimistic. 

I guess we won't know until we try. 

Andy 

16 hours ago, John Castle said:

We also enjoy our Dancing and like many others it forms a big part of our P&O cruising experience.

We did book an Iona cruise when bookings first became available in the hope that some of the rumours at the time would not happen.

Unfortunately it now looks like we will not have the opportunity to Dance in the evenings.:classic_sad:

Fortunately the remaining P&O fleet are still promoting on board Dancing so let’s hope that continues for those of us that enjoy Dancing and those that enjoy watching.:classic_smile:

Btw, I presume no ’Strictly Themed Cruises’ for Iona.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, P-L-B said:

Btw, I presume no ’Strictly Themed Cruises’ for Iona.

As I understand it Strictly cruises on Iona, such as G009 that I am going on, will have the Strictly dancers performing in the Limelight Club

18 hours ago, John Castle said:

The Crystal rooms on Britannia are lovely, surprised you are describing it as being a 'scrappy Atrium floor'.. 

Andy 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

As I understand it Strictly cruises on Iona, such as G009 that I am going on, will have the Strictly dancers performing in the Limelight Club

Ok thanks, wasn’t aware of that.

I naturally assumed that there would be no opportunity to have the normal full ‘Strictly Themed Dance’ experience,

This included free dance lessons with the strictly dancers etc and have the opportunity to Dance in the evenings.

7 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

The Crystal rooms on Britannia are lovely, surprised you are describing it as being a 'scrappy Atrium floor'.. 

Andy 

Thanks Andy for pointing that out.

I meant to mention that in my reply to Johns post above.

Although, as you probably know unfortunately there are other ships in the fleet that make do with the Atrium for Dancing.

• Like 1

We had no intention of going on Iona at all.  We haven't been on Britannia as we much prefer what used  to be called medium ships - Oceana, Aurora, Arcadia.  However, we had to cancel a cruise this coming February on Oceana and wanted something in September instead.  The only one we could find that fitted with dates was Iona to the Canaries.  I suggested we cancel altogether and lose our deposit but my husband decided it would be an adventure to go and investigate Iona - so we transferred our booking to Iona.  I have grave misgivings that I'll even make it from one end of the ship to the other, let alone go onshore!  We much prefer Club Dining so we'll have to try Freedom for the first time and we are certainly not the 'Young Crowd' that P&O are apparently wanting to attract.  In fact we have been looking seriously at the two new Saga ships having read very positive reviews.  We had an overnight visit on one of the old Saga ships a few years ago and certainly wouldn't have wanted a cruise on that ship so we'll see.  If P&O go the way it seems to be going I can't see us staying with them after getting on for 30 cruises with them they seem to be getting rid of many things we've enjoyed about cruising with them.  

13 minutes ago, P-L-B said:

Ok thanks, wasn’t aware of that.

I naturally assumed that there would be no opportunity to have the normal full ‘Strictly Themed Dance’ experience,

This included free dance lessons with the strictly dancers etc and have the opportunity to Dance in the evenings.

I very well might be wrong, but I think Limelight Club performances are the only Strictly aspect on Iona, that have been announced so far anyway.

I guess if you enjoy watching other people dance, and like the Strictly format, then going on Iona to watch the Strictly pros doing their thing in the Limelight Club (which is additional cost I believe?) then it will suit you. If you are a ballroom/Latin dancer who would enjoy spending 'some' of your cruise time watching Strictly people dancing, or chatting about their lives, but who also needs to spend a reasonable amount of time doing your own dancing, then perhaps the Iona format might not suit that well. We dance several times a week on land, and every night on a cruise, so for us Iona would not give us the experience of a holiday primarily focussed on our own dancing every night.  Each to his/her own I guess....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P-L-B said:

Thanks Andy for pointing that out.

I meant to mention that in my reply to Johns post above.

Although, as you probably know unfortunately there are other ships in the fleet that make do with the Atrium for Dancing.

Yes, we enjoyed hanging over the balcony watching the dancing on Ventura. 

The dance classes were very well attended, but that may have been down to the quality of the instructors, they seemed very precise and on the ball and catered for every level of experience. 

Andy 

• Like 1

I’m not sure I understand why people are cross that the Iona doesn’t have a dance floor and doesn’t do the club dinning? 

I mean there is really is no where else you would go and sit for dinner with a bunch of strangers. Can’t imagine someone walking into a restaurant and doing that. 

i more think of the cruise for the destination and deals. 

do some actually go Specifically to dance?

i kinda think if you don’t try it you’ll never know it will just all be assumptions. 

I went on my first cruise at 24. Going on p&o at that age as a couple to be honest I thought would just be a bunch of old people and it would be boring. I’m not sure there was any freedom dinning I think it was all club we definitely had to do club and we hated it but that didn’t mean we wouldn’t have gone on it again. Assumptions are not always correct. 

I suspect that once Iona starts sailing the entertainment manager will be besieged by so many passengers complaining about the changes and lack of the usual things, that P&O will be having a re-think. I just dont think there will be enough younger cruisers to fill her if all the old wrinkles decided .not to sail on her because there is no club dining, limited formal nights and no dancing.

There is just too much competition from RCI etc whose ships have much more family appeal than Iona.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I suspect that once Iona starts sailing the entertainment manager will be besieged by so many passengers complaining about the changes and lack of the usual things, that P&O will be having a re-think. I just dont think there will be enough younger cruisers to fill her if all the old wrinkles decided .not to sail on her because there is no club dining, limited formal nights and no dancing.

There is just too much competition from RCI etc whose ships have much more family appeal than Iona.

As Vampiress88 implies above, she does not see the need or want for the things us old wrinklies like. 

As you rightly say John, RCI offer much more appeal to families.. 

So why do the younger families cruise with P&O? 

Simple answer, cost... 

When they are queuing with 5,000 others for Freedom dining, perhaps they will miss club then... 

Andy 

10 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I’m not sure I understand why people are cross that the Iona doesn’t have a dance floor and doesn’t do the club dinning? 

I mean there is really is no where else you would go and sit for dinner with a bunch of strangers. Can’t imagine someone walking into a restaurant and doing that. 

i more think of the cruise for the destination and deals. 

do some actually go Specifically to dance?

i kinda think if you don’t try it you’ll never know it will just all be assumptions. 

I went on my first cruise at 24. Going on p&o at that age as a couple to be honest I thought would just be a bunch of old people and it would be boring. I’m not sure there was any freedom dinning I think it was all club we definitely had to do club and we hated it but that didn’t mean we wouldn’t have gone on it again. Assumptions are not always correct. 

To answer your question about whether 'some' people go Specifically to dance..... the answer is an unequivocal YES.  We are one such couple - we essentially go on a dancing holiday that happens to be on a cruise ship - yes there is the additional lovely atmosphere on board,  and the fact that it's fabulous not having to drive or travel between your room, dining room and ballroom, but like many other couples who are ballroom dancers, dancing is a core part of our lives. We don't go on a cruise to have an occasional half hour dancing.  We dance every week at home, usually several times per week, and we dance every evening when on a holiday, whether on a cruise or a land based dance holiday, of which there are increasing numbers to choose from.  For us dancing gives us a pleasure that cannot be obtained by any other means and it is an ongoing desire to improve our technique, and learn new choreography.  Dancing in total harmony with your partner, and losing your soul in beautiful music is such a pleasure that we want to do it all the time.  It takes a lot of effort to become skilled at doing it, but the reward cannot be measured that you get in return for that hard work in the learning process. In addition dancing regularly keeps you fit, keeps you mind sharp, and also lets you become one of the large community of dancers who welcome you into a world of friendship that is really a pleasure to be part of.  

For us a holiday without dancing every evening we could not even imagine.  Yes we love being able to enjoy the shore excursions, whether on organised trips or doing our own thing walking miles at nice port towns, and we enjoy the generally nice meals, and how the galley staff get thousands of meals out to the tables in a way generally better than most restaurants is a wonder to contemplate, and the opportunity to go theatre shows included in most cruises, as well as having a late night drink overloooking the dark sky, sea and occasionally other ships after an evening's dancing, is a real pleasure. But at the end of the day for us, if no dancing then no cruise and we will go on a land based dance holiday instead.  

Although those passengers who dance every night are not the majority of passengers they make up a significant steady core of people. In addition many more passengers come to watch the ballroom dancing, and often have a drink and make that part of the cruise entertainment.  There are of course discos on many cruises - but that usually doesn't get too many people who come to be spectators - discos generally are full of people discoing but not many come to watch that.

It is also the case that there is a steady number of people who will have their first go at a dance lesson on board - and then go on to learn more when they get back home at a local dance school - and end up becoming one of the future dancers.  So how much people enjoy those lessons on board depend on how well the dance instructors are able to cater for both the beginners as well as those who have done dancing before at various levels.  Some professional dance teachers can teach really clearly and split their time in a way that everyone present feels they are learning something, and enjoy the lessons so that even beginners can then get on the floor and start to enjoy ballroom and Latin dancing.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

As Vampiress88 implies above, she does not see the need or want for the things us old wrinklies like. 

As you rightly say John, RCI offer much more appeal to families.. 

So why do the younger families cruise with P&O? 

Simple answer, cost... 

When they are queuing with 5,000 others for Freedom dining, perhaps they will miss club then... 

Andy 

It really is cost for us. It’s main reason we stay with p&o. I also know what I am getting for my money too. 
we had freedom last year and will get it in April. 

I don’t mind the dancing. My girls loved coping them last year it was lovely to watch but I would never join in and wouldn’t miss it if it wasn’t there. Same with the club dinning. I have no desire to sit with people I don’t know. That may change when I’m older but as we are nearly 32 and two young kids we just want the holiday to be the 4 of us. 

8 minutes ago, mcloaked said:

To answer your question about whether 'some' people go Specifically to dance..... the answer is an unequivocal YES.  We are one such couple - we essentially go on a dancing holiday that happens to be on a cruise ship - yes there is the additional lovely atmosphere on board,  and the fact that it's fabulous not having to drive or travel between your room, dining room and ballroom, but like many other couples who are ballroom dancers, dancing is a core part of our lives. We don't go on a cruise to have an occasional half hour dancing.  We dance every week at home, usually several times per week, and we dance every evening when on a holiday, whether on a cruise or a land based dance holiday, of which there are increasing numbers to choose from.  For us dancing gives us a pleasure that cannot be obtained by any other means and it is an ongoing desire to improve our technique, and learn new choreography.  Dancing in total harmony with your partner, and losing your soul in beautiful music is such a pleasure that we want to do it all the time.  It takes a lot of effort to become skilled at doing it, but the reward cannot be measured that you get in return for that hard work in the learning process. In addition dancing regularly keeps you fit, keeps you mind sharp, and also lets you become one of the large community of dancers who welcome you into a world of friendship that is really a pleasure to be part of.  

For us a holiday without dancing every evening we could not even imagine.  Yes we love being able to enjoy the shore excursions, whether on organised trips or doing our own thing walking miles at nice port towns, and we enjoy the generally nice meals, and how the galley staff get thousands of meals out to the tables in a way generally better than most restaurants is a wonder to contemplate, and the opportunity to go theatre shows included in most cruises, as well as having a late night drink overloooking the dark sky, sea and occasionally other ships after an evening's dancing, is a real pleasure. But at the end of the day for us, if no dancing then no cruise and we will go on a land based dance holiday instead.  

Although those passengers who dance every night are not the majority of passengers they make up a significant steady core of people. In addition many more passengers come to watch the ballroom dancing, and often have a drink and make that part of the cruise entertainment.  There are of course discos on many cruises - but that usually doesn't get too many people who come to be spectators - discos generally are full of people discoing but not many come to watch that.

It is also the case that there is a steady number of people who will have their first go at a dance lesson on board - and then go on to learn more when they get back home at a local dance school - and end up becoming one of the future dancers.  So how much people enjoy those lessons on board depend on how well the dance instructors are able to cater for both the beginners as well as those who have done dancing before at various levels.  Some professional dance teachers can teach really clearly and split their time in a way that everyone present feels they are learning something, and enjoy the lessons so that even beginners can then get on the floor and start to enjoy ballroom and Latin dancing.

Excellent post and totally agree.

We are also a couple that dance several times a week and enjoy dancing every night during our cruise.

Lets hope P&O are listening.

P-L-B : I doubt P&O managers are looking at this forum but your feedback about your cruises direct to P&O managers is something they may take fully into account when planning the activities on the future cruises.  It is also the case that many ballroom dancers don't like to make a fuss - so if there isn't any dancing on future cruises they will simply book elsewhere!

9 minutes ago, mcloaked said:

P-L-B : I doubt P&O managers are looking at this forum but your feedback about your cruises direct to P&O managers is something they may take fully into account when planning the activities on the future cruises.  It is also the case that many ballroom dancers don't like to make a fuss - so if there isn't any dancing on future cruises they will simply book elsewhere!

Agreed, we will fill in our cruise questionnaire appropriately.

Happy Dancing. 😀

53 minutes ago, mcloaked said:

Not sure why they wouldn't, on every Celebrity cruise we have been on the CD has said that they take notice of what is posted on CC and use it to improve their entertainment package. Surely P&O management cannot ignore such a wealth of useful criticism.