1st Time NCL/1st time Alaska Cruise

basnyder

My family and I are going on our first Alaska cruise in May 2019. We’ve always cruised with Carnival, and this will be our first NCL. I’m trying to do my research to see how NCL and Carnival differ, and are the same.

Also, any recommendations with what I should pack, and what I should leave at home would be extremely helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hope you have a great Alaska cruise! When we went to Alaska on the NCL jewel we packed layers because thats what the majority of people recommended because the weather is variable and can change quickly. We also brought rain jackets. I am not much of a jacket wearer, but I ended up being glad I had the jacket because it did rain quite a bit off and on. We did take warmer clothes, so I had hats and a scarf, the above mentioned rain jacket, pants, and the like. But a couple of days it was very sunny mid day and then it was nice to have the lighter clothing on underneath. Also, it can be chilly/windy on board the ship, so the layers are helpful there too. Enjoy your cruise!

NCL will be similar to Carnival, I think. There are some differences. The major one is dining. There is no set dining time; you show up at one of the main dining rooms any time they are open and get seated. It's more like eating on land than the traditional cruise experience where you have the same waiters, etc. every night.

There is also a main dining room open on embarkation for lunch, so you don't have to start in the buffet if you prefer a sit down meal.

NCL has both the Bliss, a big ship, and the smaller Jewel class ships in Alaska. Which ship are you on? We can highlight differences and those "don't miss" things better if we know.

NCL will be similar to Carnival, I think. There are some differences. The major one is dining. There is no set dining time; you show up at one of the main dining rooms any time they are open and get seated. It's more like eating on land than the traditional cruise experience where you have the same waiters, etc. every night.

There is also a main dining room open on embarkation for lunch, so you don't have to start in the buffet if you prefer a sit down meal.

NCL has both the Bliss, a big ship, and the smaller Jewel class ships in Alaska. Which ship are you on? We can highlight differences and those "don't miss" things better if we know.

Sorry, I should’ve added that. We were originally supposed to be on the Pearl, but was just notified the other day that they are changing it to the Joy.

I didn’t know that about the dining. Thank you for letting me know!

Sorry, I should’ve added that. We were originally supposed to be on the Pearl, but was just notified the other day that they are changing it to the Joy.

I didn’t know that about the dining. Thank you for letting me know!

The Joy is a mega ship. You will need to pre-book your two main theater shows and any specialty dining. Reservations open 120 prior to cruise.

The Joy, which is a new ship, will be “newer” after undergoing a $50M refit to change it from a China configuration to a US configuration.

My family and I are going on our first Alaska cruise in May 2019. We’ve always cruised with Carnival, and this will be our first NCL. I’m trying to do my research to see how NCL and Carnival differ, and are the same.

Also, any recommendations with what I should pack, and what I should leave at home would be extremely helpful!

Just a quick recommendation here: as you are sailing in May, be sure you pack in layers. The weather could be chilly at one part of the day and nice and warm the rest, plus May and rain often go together.

Comparing Carnival and NCL. Because you are doing Alaska, it is more the itinerary than the ships that would be different. Normally, sailing Alaska will have fewer kids and be more more port intensive.

Carnival does have slightly larger cabins but otherwise I happen to prefer NCL. I love the food choices and the entertainment.